Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Revs - 'The Revs'

Options
  • 09-10-2005 8:47pm

Artist: THE REVS
    Album: THE REVS
    Release Date: 14.10.05

Maturity and evolution are generally associated with the young and the monkeys, respectively. But seemingly, bands can do it too. Specifically, this Donegal-based trio seem to have ripped off the "Irish Busted" tag that plagued their early releases and burned it in a big pit, along with any souvenirs of that era (manager, label etc.) Now, they've created this marvellous update on their progress, lovingly (and independently) made in Sweden's legendary Tambourine Studio with Franz's production crew, and mixed by Danton Supple, the man behind the desk that created Coldplay's X&Y and Doves’ Last Broadcast.

Opening with the psychedelic punk trip of You Shine, we are immediately immured in its snarling bass, flickering guitar and POUNDING original drum beat and taken on a journey during the melodically gorgeous chorus. From the outset, we know that times have changed since they turned a different nationality (number 5 across: look to Asia)... And we are amazed.

Along our way, we meet the apocalyptic shared-verse art rock stomp of Time Slippin’, the heart wrenching love song/apology for previous musical misdemeanours of Take It All Back (“start again”) and the Radiohead-on-a-breezy-summer's-day vibe of Good Times Always End. THEN, we have the revolutionary (not a pun) disco groove of Borderland and a stonkingly wonderful riff in Streets. There’s even time for a Winning Streak-like visit to Treasure Island - a snipe at an old friend in the sparkling fuzz-rock of Robert Stephenson.

The production is sleek, modern and immaculate, the songs are an eclectic stew, the lyrics are pure poetry, the musicianship is incredible and there is no adventitious dirge. The songs are as indie as Jason Lyttle’s trucker cap (very, I suppose), but this is an original modern pop classic which could easily be of equal annual importance to Franz Ferdinand or The Arcade Fire. This is essential.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,205 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

But seemingly, bands can do it too. Specifically, this Donegal-based trio seem to have ripped off the "Irish Busted" tag that plagued their early releases and burned it in a big pit.

have to say i agree, i used to hate the revs for that "busted" reason, but having seen them play in DIT Aungier street the other day i have to say ive headed back in the other direction - they were excellent.
    although the lead singer (well to me it seemed both sang an equal amount) but rory, i think his name is, still annoyed me just a little bit :D

that time slippin song is an anthem or at least should be, i think il start my revs collection with this new album and would recommend it highly to others. they also came across very well in the hotpress interview they done, even though the cover picture is a bit sgt. peppery which doesnt suit

have to say i agree, i used to hate the revs for that "busted" reason, but having seen them play in DIT Aungier street the other day i have to say ive headed back in the other direction - they were excellent.
    although the lead singer (well to me it seemed both sang an equal amount) but rory, i think his name is, still annoyed me just a little bit :D

that time slippin song is an anthem or at least should be, i think il start my revs collection with this new album and would recommend it highly to others. they also came across very well in the hotpress interview they done, even though the cover picture is a bit sgt. peppery which doesnt suit

Damn that I wasn't at the DIT gig...would've loved to sneak in!

Wow, wow, wow...the album! They played Tower today to launch it and were as great as always. They're playing Temple Bar Music Centre on November 3rd, which should also be fun.

And yes, Time Slippin' IS an anthem...I hope we've not heard the last of it. Re-releases can happen when bands get as big as the Revs deserve to be with this LP.

The cover and artwork is suave as ****! The Hotpress cover is nice...I like it. it catches the eye. And the interview really redeems them.

Advertisement