Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vets online

Options
  • 09-10-2005 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭

My local vet is thinking of setting up a website where people describe symptoms of a sick animal online and he diagnoses the problem and suggests what to do for a fee. So you get professional advice without having to leave your house. Would you guys actually avail of such a service first of all, and is there anything like this already available does anybody know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I would strongly advise against this idea.

If you hear in which ways people describe their pets problems, it could usually be anything or nothing at all. How would you diagnose that.

Furthermore, all animals show it in a different way, when they are sick. The "strong silent types" show nothing at all, while others act like they are dying of a scratch.

A physical examination is the only thing that works ....especially for animals that can't describe "where it hurts".

Is that really a vets idea or somebody elses?

Or is some vet just sick of telling people things for free over the phone and thinks he has now found a way to make money out of nothing as well?

Because the only way a vet could (with good conscience) advise a "cure" for an animal without having seen it, is when he/she is absolutely sure that there's nothing wrong in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I agree with peasant, and i doubt any self respecting vet would consider such a venture.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

i don't think its a good idea, although i have seen lots of them on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

<- Worst Idea Ever, plus he would be opening himself to *all sorts* of potential law suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I don't think the advice would be very proffesional without examining the animal in person, they could get it wrong so easily or miss something that they wouldn't miss with a proper physical exam. So many health issues can have the same symptoms I think he would be risking a lot to do that.
    I don't see why he couldn't open a website with information sheets and care sheets, as the others says he could end up in all kinds of trouble if he gets it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

There's no way on earth I'd ever so much as consider using that service.

Animals can't tell what's wrong, which is why they need to be examined properly.

Really bad idea in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Capall86

This is a joke??

Please say its a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Terrible idea.

Would you give your symptons online to a doctor you don't know. Hand over your credit card number and expect the proper treatment :rolleyes:

Advertisement