Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No enthusiasm for studying

Options
  • 09-10-2005 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Any one else?.

I just feel bogged down, I`m repeating this year so it really is my last chance. I feel that already I am way behind and stuck in playing catch up. I just want to run away from it all. Its depressing that every one else is in college while I`m caught in LC limbo.
    I know what I want to do, I know I want to go onto third level education. I think I somewhat have a fear of failure, I`m worried that this may grow and I may just cop out. I`ve f*cked up in some tests already, real petty mistakes, its like I`m looking at the question and its just not getting through. The low marks have beaten any confidence I have so I feel pretty thick. I just want to run away. Coupled with the fact that I need to repeat as I did not complete my 2005 LC means my self esteem is not at an all time high. I just feel so frustrated, petty things set me off like having to write on real cr*ppy A4 paper which is like tracing paper!.

Ah, nice purging whingy post, feel bit better now *scuttles off to find chocolate*.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭R.D

I know what you mean Doctor Evil, it's tough. But at the end of the day if you want to make it bad enough, no matter how bad it gets, you can make it and sometimes must. I'm repeating too, hey have you got MSN messenger? We can chat on there sometime if you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Chin up doctor evil. If you want to get away from "lc limbo" you have to put the work in. If you are scared of failure then unfortunately all you can do to reassure yourself is to prepare as best you can. Its definitely going to be hard work but theres no way around it. Concentrate on your goal ie. focus on what you are ultimately aiming for; third level education, so as to keep yourself motivated.

Nobody willing to put the work in is "thick" so do your best and your self esteem should rise considering you are doing your best and therefore hopefully achieving what you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

i feel exactly the same! i'm repeatin as well. sometimes i feel left behind cuz my friends are all off in college, but other times i dont mind n repeatn isnt as bad as i thought. but sum days im like "yeah i can do this" n other days its major panic n d hole dis is my last chance ting...n ppl keep sayin dat its easy 4 me cuz im repeatn... :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm repeating too, know exactly what you mean.
    Feels like I'm behind in EVERY subject and have exams next week that I'm terrified about.
    Teachers expect us to know everything and keep asking questions that I can't answer...not doing wonders for my confidence.
    Have a large workload too...NEVER got homework last year...already feel like I'm wasting my time and really don't think I'll get my points...been studying every day and I still feel left behind in classes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hey. Im a first time LCer at the moment, and Im already feeling worn out. The second I look at books i just get a headache! But what Im doing is just looking forward to short term goals (the weekend, mid term!) and just pushing forward. Also i refuse to give up my hobbies : computer games and films. Even if its just an hour a night, that hour escape makes all the difference. I know I have to study, but the burden is big, and just trogging through it is the only way to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

From another LC repeater, keep going doctor evil, I know exactly what you mean with the work and with everyone else taking it easy in uni. My advice - if you know what course you want, focus yourself on getting that course. Make it the aim of this year. Try to go beyond what you would have thought of going for last year - that's what I'm doing, and its like it makes the extra year 'make sense', like there's a point to doing it all again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I know how you feel, I was like that last year (although I wasn't repeating)... It's horrible! You just gotta get structure and organisation to your work. Go through every subject, the whole exam paper, P1 and P2 -- find out the questions, how much they're worth, what exactly you need to know for them, and practise lots and lots of questions. You've still got tonnes of time, so just think of it as, you have a certain amount of to do, and a certain amount of time to do it in -- so just get it done! I know it's not that easy, I sure didn't get it done, lol... But in theory, that's how you should think. Start off with a wide view of the whole Leaving Cert, and then narrow it down to each subject, each paper, each question, A & B. There is only a certain number of things they can ask you, it's a limited syllabus, so once you know that, you're sorted.

I'm sure you've heard that a million times, so sorry :p Once you get through the Leaving, you can do what you want, so just think of it as an obstacle in the way of your independence -- a challenge, if ya like -- and you need to get around it.

Good luck to ya anyways!

Advertisement