Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you get ADSL from eircom at the prices they're asking?

Options
  • 13-09-2001 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

Another poll- this time -

Taking into consideration the asking price, the 3GB cap, and basically whatever else you want (including, if you like just "because ...- it's EIRCOM!"), would you purchase one of Eircom's newly launched ADSL products AT the price they are asking?

--

More details on pricing available elsewhere in this forum, and at www.adsl.ie

BTW- I don't believe Eircom should be entitled to the domain adsl.ie, as it gives them an unfair advantage... but that's another discussion...

Would you purchase an ADSL product from eircom at the prices they are asking? 142 votes

YES.
    0% 0 votes
    NO.
    11% 17 votes
    MAYBE.
    88% 125 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

A definite no. This reminds me of ISDN when it was first introduced. If I recall correctly the installation cost was £300+ and data calls were dearer than voice calls. It didn't work then and it won't work now.

However, if NoLimits was to be withdrawn and no one bothered with FRIACO this may be the only option we would have left.
    Originally posted by Bard
    BTW- I don't believe Eircom should be entitled to the domain adsl.ie, as it gives them an unfair advantage... but that's another discussion...

I agree but at least it means that when I need to lookup their offerings I don't have to go via their homepage and be cornered and brainwashed by a six foot mouse :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

DEpends on the per mb charge after 3gigs.

DeV.

Originally posted by DeVore

Something like 2.2p per MB. It has been mentioned in other threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Fact is I want a fast connection yeah? But for the price I will end - up paying for dual line isdn as compared to 56k I may as well splurge on adsl , also I hear that some people have got it working in Unix
    /rumour?

As "chick dig Unix" /nonrumor
    Having an adsl connection in FreeBSD would be such a babe puller I'd have to hire an extra 10 body guards to add to my current 10 in keeping the babes away so you see the real question is can I afford the attention ?? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Much as it pains me to do it, I had to be honest and say "yes".

My phone bill is currently ~£200 a month, sometimes peaking much higher than that (£275 last month), and 99% of that is Internet calls (I encourage my customers to use email). It would be a drastic saving to me, and a huge benefit (always-on in particular). I'd be stupid not to take it.

If I was a home user though - I'm both as it turns out - I wouldn't take it, it's just crazy. I would also continue to campaign heavily with IrelandOffline to either: a) get the price dropped; b) have the caps removed; or failing that, c) have the caps raised to a more reasonable level.

To be honest, I'm stunned Eircom were allowed release the product at that price. It's only hitting me now actually, I've had my mind on other things the last couple of days, for obvious reasons. How the hell are they allowed get away with this?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

No, no way. I've got a good job and I'd love a decent connection but that's miles outside what I'm prepared to pay.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

dahamsta

You think! it will be worth it with your high bill?!
    what your missing is this..
    3gig cap.
    as soon as you exceed this(one week usage!)
    you will end up paying 2p per mb which is about £20 per gig
    which is 60 per 3gig(perweek) multiply that by a month is
    240+77x2 <-billing period =£634 (and you think this is cheap!?)
    and this is if!? your only paying 2p per mb :eek: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 disConnected

I voted 'no', because

a) it is extremely bad value for money
    b) I am not able to afford it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I think that the biggest issue is the cap. If there were no cap then I would probably take their offer.

But the price is too high. I could just about manage to deal with it without the cap.

Basically, remove the cap and drop the price by £20 and I'd take it.

Otherwise ... I'll wait to see what the other services offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Originally posted by DeVore

DeV.

The price is 2.6P (less VAT) per MB ... this was published by Eircom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Simply.....

NO !!

I'd have no problem budgeting a certain amount per month but its just the simple economic principle. This figure is not cost based but was decided in a smoke filled room over a few drinks on the basis of "EXTORTION". (IMO BTW)

I cannot & will not allow myself to consciously use such a product knowing this. Believe me I am so desparate to get DSL but my own personal stand on it is... I will not :mad:

BoneCollector, please don't patronise me, especially when you don't know all the facts. Part of the reason my telephone bill is so high is because I have to use the Internet extensively during the day, and not just because I'm a heavy user. (I am a heavy user, but not *that* heavy, I will go over the lower-end caps, but I really don't know by how much.) My i-Scream bills wouldn't be affected by this, because it's flat-rate.

Also, the three gig cap applies to the Solo product line, and who's to say I wasn't looking at one of the other product lines? Maybe I was looking at the advanced solution, which although more expensive than (some of) my current phone bills, has 1Mbps downstream/256kbps upstream, and apparently - I say apparently because no-one seems to really know - no cap.

If you're unhappy about me saying I would take the product, say it, don't come at me with technical and financial details. I know what's involved, and it's up to *me* to take those risks, not you.

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta
    It would be a drastic saving to me, and a huge benefit (always-on in particular). I'd be stupid not to take it.

Fair enough. If you are in business and you are already paying more than the monthly rental in calls then it does make sense. I suspect that there will be a lot of people like you who would rather not take it on principal but if you are running a business and trying to make money you've no option but to take it. Isn't competition wonderful.

Out of interest what would be the more appealing aspect of it to you: the always-on connection, or the bandwidth?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

NO. NEIN, NADA, NEIT. NON.
    and no in any other language.

Honestly, i dont know how the Telecomms industry say the industry is in such a bad state with the amount of money they're taking out of my salary every month with the mobile, land line and internet bills!

And i have to say i really dont like the way they are going to charge the £100 for the ADSL line AND the £25(?can't remember exact cost at moment) rental for the phone line!!!

And the 2-3p per MB! When does the horror end?!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, ive got adsl for 40 quid a month with no limit cap.
    but then again, i live in england :(
    or if i want to be really cheap, i could get cable or 20 quid a month. it just goes to show how far behind ireland is and how much eircom are ripping people off.
    bas7ards

Out of interest what would be the more appealing aspect of it to you: the always-on connection, or the bandwidth?

Always-on. I run a web development and hosting business, an always-on connection would be invaluable in order to keep in constant touch with my developers and my clients. Speed is secondary, but it would obviously be a boon.

Note that all this is moot anyway, I live in Cork, I can't get DSL. But the question was asked, and I answered it truthfully.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

i voted NO!

this is out of my price range tho i might 'see what i could do' if there was no cap. at this stage i only use home access for email cuase thats really all its good for and i leave all the rest for when im in work.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/010911/218/c3lwv.html

i read this and thought this isnt exactly a stellar endorsement of 'I-Stream'

i dunno.

eircom = cowbows

j

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Certainly wouldn't buy any of the adsl packages currently provided by eircom. The bandwidth capping is a joke. The price is exhorbitant. Generally the worst adsl offering i have seen anywhere in the world. Well done eircom, you stood up to your reputation well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

do you realise just how many 'no's' there is ?

This is why eircom think there is no demand....

also, no-one has seemed to mention that there is a Minimum 12 month contract. This probably means the eircom can charge this for at least the first year, and then when everyone is about to leave them at the end of the year, they dramatically drop their adsl charges in order to keep the customers ...

ps. I voted yes, I know what i'd be leading myself into, but i desperatly need flat-rate broadband for work and gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

lads i dont think any cap at that price is aceptable,
    were brain washed by england, yes england, we see adsl at 40 pounds there and we think right a cap a 40 pound shoulds fair for hear and unlimited 70 pounds, but thats not the way it should be, an adsl service should either make there money out of the cap or the rental no both,

its scares me that some of you have broken a united front, we have to do something about this, tel me what and i will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

yes, i agree glad.

Eircom, high pricing OR a cap, but NOT both ?? please

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

theaving shower of bast0rds i mean come on - wot happened to OTDR (?) didnt they introduce some low figures for instalation and monthly rate :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

that was for LLU, you see, this is were all the confusing comes in, but it does raise an iteresting point, that ioffl should raise when next talkign to eircom, that how can them feel llu will happen at all, if they want to charge 55 pounds for bitstream llu while full llu was set at 13

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Im planning on paying 140 a month for no limit, 1 meg down 256 up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Gladiator
    its scares me that some of you have broken a united front, we have to do something about this, tel me what and i will

seriously... what the heck are you talking about here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Straker

It's just way too expensive. A reasonably priced, flat rate, uncapped, always on connect would suit me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭obewan

As an ordinary home user (not an businessman), there is absolutely no way that I could afford these prices.

I'll have to hope that someone else can come up with something better.

Mick.My Page

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I fail to see how any of thier products are aimed at a home user. High price, getting rid of the ordinary user. 3gig cap making sure the heavy users aren't interested. 2.6p extra for every meg?? Madnness.

Everyone is talking, but no body is doing anything. Pickets outside Eircom and government buildings, expose eircom for what they are.

Obviously I voted no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by Bard

seriously... what the heck are you talking about here?

I think he means we should all try and aim for one thing i.e. lower prices or higher caps, instead of us all p!ssing about unsure of what we want.

Possibly.

We need a leader, we're just mere followers! ;\

Personally I won't get because I can't afford it, not because it's eircom. I don't care who gives it to me, I just want it at a reasonable price and preferably no cap at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

3GB! I wipe my arse with 3GB! :mad:

While we're on the subject of 3 - that price should be about 3 times lower.

.......but that's ott. It's really about twice as high as it should be. The limit is also too small and the price for going over the limit is horrendus. More classic eircon.

Advertisement