Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unmarried fathers rights to their Chrildren

Options
  • 10-10-2005 8:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi all,
    My Partner and I had our first child 2.5 years ago, while we were both still single, we have since married and are now expecting our second child. When our first child was born I heard several different stories about me having to adopt my own child once we got married otherwise I would have no rights to him in the unllikely event that anything may happen to my wife.
    As far as registering our child, we hhaving both our names on the birth cert and he using my surname.

Can anyone confirm for me if I actually need to do anything or not.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Once you're married you have all the normal rights you would have had if you were married before the 1st child was born.

Your name being on the birth cert or the fact that he is using your gives you no additional rights whatsoever. It means nothing in the eyes of the law.

To correct you about the adoption point, that's not true. Probably what was meant was that as you were not married to the mother, you had no guardianship rights to your child.
    If you had wanted to you would have had the mother's permission to be named as guardian or, if she was not in agreement, you would have had to apply to the courts.

Great system isn't it!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 BIRDCAGE

Thanks for that, thats made things a little clearer for me, it sounded a bit strange that I'd have to adopt my own child alright..........then again anythings possible in this great country of ours!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement