Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another decision quandry:Golf GTI or BMW 320i SE

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Forget the VW and the BMW, buy the Lexus. Head and shoulders above the others.

Don't think so thanks all the same

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

kbannon wrote:
    Just for reference as it is being used with the above argument - a ... is standard on the E90 3er*. It is also i-pod ready! *as are a number of other features ....

Sound decent alright.
    ....I've driven a few base spec 318s of the outgoing model and I thought they were very nice. The only thing I thought was stingy in them was the lack of a CD....

My comments were related to the outgoing model. I haven't had the pleasure a of new model.

320 vs GTI I'd be happy with either TBH. I reckon the Golf would be a bit more fun to own. Haven't been in or driven either so thats just from what I've read. I wonder if theres much difference in insurance, perhaps the GTI would be seen as a bigger theft risk. You might want to check that out considering the hassle here Paddies having with his Octavia vRS. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=310443

I wonder if theres much difference in insurance, perhaps the GTI would be seen as a bigger theft risk. You might want to check that out considering the hassle here Paddies having with his Octavia vRS. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=310443

Insurance : No change with 320,increase from present 620 to 780 with GTI for comp.
    Was reading Paddy's woes Ok,large narky dog the only way to go !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CorporalCarrot

I'm a little surprised that depreciation hasn't been discussed in more detail here. People always look at the absolute cost of the car but this isn't really what it costs you. Its your annual depreciation. And on this front, the BMW will win out, no question. I just sold a loaded 2002 BMW 3 series coupe, leather, 17" alloys, climate control, climate glass, cd player, cd changer, alum trim, black leather etc etc. I traded it in on what I thought was a great deal for a car and because I did it in a hurry he gave me €28,500 for it. It cost €46,000 3.5 yrs ago. Thats somewhere between €5-€6k per annum on depreciation which is phenomenal IMO for a new car of that cost. I probably could have done better in a private sale.

I would imagine the E90 will perform just as well in a couple of years time. I am not sure the same will be said of the golf. The last model GTI depreciated like a rock. I know the last car was a dog and the new one has been far better received but its still something to consider.

Oh and to those who say theres pretty much the same amount of room in the 320 and the golf, have they actually gone and sat in the back?? The new 3 has excellent room in the back. I went and adjusted the drivers seat to my spec (I'm 5'11") then got in the back and it was far better than the E46. There is definitely more room than in the golf, and thats before the boot is considered.

For driving however, if its a 320i vs GTI, the GTI is definitely going to put more grins on your face and I personally have not warmed to styling of the E90 but thats a different matter

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I would imagine the E90 will perform just as well in a couple of years time. I am not sure the same will be said of the golf. The last model GTI depreciated like a rock. I know the last car was a dog and the new one has been far better received but its still something to consider.
    The Mk II is fetching good prices. The Mk I silly-ish money. The MK III & IV are getting the resale value they deserve - shite. There's no reason that the Mk V cannot have good resale, unlike the E90 which has 1 giant reason. It looks too much like a poorly designed Kia.

How's Angua? ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

unkel wrote:
    but also in a different league in terms of build quality and I dare not mention style, class and resale value :)

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

BMW build quality is not any better than VW.

A GTI has plenty of class - that's the beauty of them, they fit in anywhere.

As for resale - I bought a MKIV GTI (I now have a V) and sold it making a loss of 3k after over a year of ownership. My boss sold his loaded 320 saloon and lost his arse on it.

I've had my GTI for a month now and would take it over any BMW up to a 325ci. Not to mention the fact that the Golf will hand the BM its arse every single time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

So there you go complete opposing opinions on depreciation. :D Depreciation is heavily dependent on market conditions, and the individual condition of the car. Another reason not to stuff the car with expensive options, because they rarely add to the resale of the car. If they are included as standard thats different. However if 90% of the cars on the market have some extra, like AC or leather, and your doesn't that will effect the value of your car slightly when you come to sell it.

BTW: GTI ordered- Red 5dr manual wth leather,alarm,climate(no s/r)

Expected mid Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Very nice... did you go for the 18s?

No BB I stuck to the 17's.Didn't actally manage to see a 'live' one fitted with them.
    Anyway insurance will also be due in Jan not to mention tax for the new one:(
    So couldn't justify the 800 odd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

BTW: GTI ordered- Red 5dr manual wth leather,alarm,climate(no s/r)

Expected mid Jan.

Any news CH??

Yea Shayster got it last Monday :D

See here for pic

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50707855&postcount=394

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Man, what a beaut!!

Enjoy... drive her nice and easy now ok, or not :)
    Yea Shayster got it last Monday :D

See here for pic

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50707855&postcount=394

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Congrats Crowdedhouse - that looks fantastic. You made the right choice as the new BMW's look so ordinary by comparison.

Would be delighted to read a 'owners report' after you have owned it a few months to see did it match your expectations.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭StillBallygowan

My own GTi with the 18inch alloys, DSG also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

a true beauty also, how do u find DSG? are the shifts imperceptible even under heavy acceleration or under breaking? do u get engine breaking when u need it?
    for some reason vw are only fitting dsg to their gti and diesels, the petrol 1.6 i ordered only has a standard 6 speed auto. on the bright side its made byu toyota believe it or not and has been tested to be nearly indestructable which cant be bad. would have rathered dsg though;)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭StillBallygowan

I'm really impressed with the DSG, slip it down to S and it's fantastic.
    If i need to engine break i'd use the paddles but i rarely use them.
    for most of my driving it's in heavy traffic so i just leave it in Drive!

Advertisement