Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v Switz (scores, everything)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Im more annoyed at the management than the team. Given is all we have going at the moment. That performance was pathetic. Booting it up the pitch all day.Bring back McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Morrisson should have come off instead of Keane. Keane wasn't having a particularly good game but Morrisson was just plain playing badly and should have been removed. Overall, the team didn't play to it's potential. Maybe Roy Keane and Damien Duff would have made a difference - maybe not. As it stands, they got what they deserved based on their performances. As painful as it may be Ireland don't deserve to be competing in the World Cup. Whether much of that is the managers fault, I don't know, but their tactics were seriously at fault. Relying on a long ball game like thatl? WTF, like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

TimAy wrote:
    Im more annoyed at the management than the team. Given is all we have going at the moment. That performance was pathetic. Booting it up the pitch all day.Bring back MaCarthy.

It's McCarthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

2 shots on target, amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sjones wrote:
    It's McCarthy.

Doesnt matter, as long as he's never given the job again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

lol, nice edit.

TimAy wrote:
    lol, nice edit.

yeah, didnt fancy a abn for personal abuse :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I'm dissappointed with Kerr but who do you get to replace him???

Right its time to dust off the German passport for next summer.

• Advertisement

musician wrote:
    I'm dissappointed with Kerr but who do you get to replace him???

Ill do it. Couldnt do any worse and the pay rise would be welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Bring back Charlton!

Brian Kerrs a ******,
    He wears a ******s hat,
    When Jayo went to Poland,
    He didn't fancy that,
    He played ** ****** *******
    But Clinton couldn't score,
    He's just * **** ********,
    **** off to Inchicore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Terrible.
    I totally agree with Houghtan and Brady.... we were hoping on hoofing long balls that we couldnt do anything with and nobody was taking on defenders (apart from Stephen Reid in the last bit).
    Kerr is gone for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Eamonn Dunphy seems to be up for the job with the way he's talking about Kerr at the moment...

Bard wrote:
    Eamonn Dunphy seems to be up for the job with the way he's talking about Kerr at the moment...

He's got far too much cop on to touch the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,658 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Martain o Neill can do it he did it with celtic he can do it for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I thought Dunphy was funny.............he said at least twice that Kerr had lost the plot............lol

Brady just said he would not take the job................. Dunphy said he would but they all just laughed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Have to say Dunne had a good game, I'm not usually a fan of his but he defended well and probably did more in midfield than O'Shea and Holland combined.

I' agree, Martin O'Neill would do a great job, I've a feeling he's MU bound though. It'd be interesting to see Dunphy have a go, but he's too outspoken and un-PC, can't see the FAI going for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Martain o Neill can do it he did it with celtic he can do it for Ireland
    Interesting idea actually. He might appreciate the part-time nature of the job too. He could probably never walk through Belfast again though.

mr_angry wrote:
    He could probably never walk through Belfast again though.
    No change.... you dont exactly get Celtic jerseys at Windsor Park.
    Just look at all the boos Hartson got last weekend.
    I really think O'Neill would be brilliant for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Ah well, not like we deserved it anyways. Was hardly a shock. Would love to see O'Neill try his hand at it, but even more of a sea of Celtic jersies at Ireland games would make me sick to the pits of my filthy stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

although Brady said no on TV...

anyone get the impression - he wants it, but just said no because he was put on the spot.. ? after the question was asked he just sunk his head..

i know he had unsuccessful career as manager at celtic and brighton...

but maybe thats the best person for the job.. he aint going to cost alot and most of the time talks sense.

ONeill - at the minute, i dont think would take the job.

Interesting stat from Dunphy. We havnt beaten a team in the top 80 in the world since Kerr took over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Player Ratings:

1/ Shay Given 8
    Kept his concentration throughout, and did everything asked of him when asked. Undoubtly a world class player.

2/ Stephen Carr 2
    Had the worst game of his international career, highly wastefull with possesion, lost the ball unneceraly in very dangerous positions, all most cost a goal, and was walked past on the occaions he was asked to defend.

3/ Ian Harte 5
    Reletavly quite, and missed his chance to show he's our No.3. Failed to deliver what he was there for...very poor delivery from set-pieces.

4/ Richard Dunne 7
    On a whole coped well, made his mandatory clumsy challanges in the match. Coverd well for the incompitent Carr.

5/ Kenny Cunningham 6
    Simular to Dunne, coped well for the majority, but again gave players to much space infront of him, relyed on the offside trap nieavly, and failed to track swiss runs towards the end.

6/ Matt Holland 6
    Drifted in and out of the game, but managed to retain possesion well, added that element we didn't have in Cyprus, failed to impose himself to the level required. Was alone in the centre of the park.

7/ Andy Reid 4
    Very poor delivery, extremely predictable, always cut back onto his left foot, crossed from deep, and either hit it at the defender, or far to high and looping. Bottled it.

8/ John O'Shea 0
    Should never play for his country again.

9/ Clinton Morrison 5
    Can feel hard done by by the ref, but lacked the intelligence to stand off the defender, wasn't helped by Brian Kerr's inability to change tactics of hoofing the ball upfield with no real direction to our approach. Out of his depth in the system..shouldn't shoulder more than half the blame for his performane.

10/ Robbie Keane 4
    Complacient. Should be dropped. Trys the spectacular, neglects the basics..and no longer works hard...has lost all value to the team.

11/ Kevin Kilbane 3
    Managed to track back on occasion, but offerd absolutely nothing going forward, like his teammates delivery was aupauling. Very average player.

Substitutes:

12/ Stephen Elliot 7
    Immudiatly made an impact getting ball to feet, trying to create, good movement, great spirit, work rate and attitude. Should feel robbed not to have started, and should expect to be started in future.

13/ Stephen Reid 7
    Got the ball to feet, good delivery, came closest to scoring for us on the night, got stuck in and won possesion. Should feel robbed not to have started, and should expect to start in future.

14/ Ginger Pele 2
    Usual bulls*it .... wouldn't get into the combh rambelers team...is a shokingly poor defender playing as a striker...sums up Brian Kerrs ability to pick a team and formulate tactics...hit the ball towards a tall man and see what happens. If he ever breaks his leg, should be shot like the horse that he is.

Brian Kerr 0
    Fired. Complete moron. If you defended him before this round of matches, you should feel incredibly stupid. Because you are. Completely out of his depth, not a clue about anything football related. I wouldn't allow him to manage my local spar for fear of it burning down. Sent Irish football back 30 years to the days of Eoin Hand. Fourth seeds in next qualifying campagin, possibly 20 years or so before we'll ever qualify for anything again. Completely inadequite as usual....with 5 minutes left in his job, he subs off a striker. Left Carr on the park. Completely wrong selction. A bonafied Moron.

The Ref 0
    Should get the chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Dreadful performance by Ireland.
    The standard of International football in general seems to be at a real low.
    A German ref with Switzerland playing and the last time he was here ,Austria were playing.
    What a sick joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

for a team playing to get into the World Cup that was absolutely shocking
    the crowd were ****e aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

woefull, the swiss didn't try and win it, and we were incapable of even getting a shot on target. we got what we deserved, feck all.

and what was kerrs last role of the dice? his last trick up his sleeve? his X factor? bring on a crap center half to play up front, and continue lumping the ball up to the front and hope we got a lucky break .... exactly the same tactics he used for the entire match. his contract had better not be renewed. bloody amature youth team coach without a clue.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Kerr wants to stay as Irish boss

Manager Brian Kerr ruled out any question of resigning despite the Republic of Ireland's failure to qualify for the 2006 World Cup. The 0-0 draw at home to Switzerland meant the Irish missed out with the Swiss claiming the play-off spot.

"My future is not a question for today, but the association are clear about my intentions," said Kerr after the match.

"I have been described as a lucky manager, but I do not think we have had much luck over the last two months."

Speculation has been mounting about Kerr's future as Republic boss, although he is known to want to carry on.

"I have done this job with a passion and intensity which people who know me will understand," Kerr added.

"I am disappointed the campaign did not come to a better end, but that is football - you do not always get what you want.

"If you look at the top four teams in the group, in the 12 matches between them 11 were draws. That is how close it was.

"The moment of magic by Henry against us gave France the edge."

BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

man this was disappointing. o'shea and kilbane. the two worst players ireland has ever seens. and i dont even see the point of bringing on the doherty guy he is pure shíte.

boourns.

DubGuy wrote:
    Player Ratings:

1/ Shay Given 8
    Kept his concentration throughout, and did everything asked of him when asked. Undoubtly a world class player.

2/ Stephen Carr 2
    Had the worst game of his international career, highly wastefull with possesion, lost the ball unneceraly in very dangerous positions, all most cost a goal, and was walked past on the occaions he was asked to defend.

3/ Ian Harte 5
    Reletavly quite, and missed his chance to show he's our No.3. Failed to deliver what he was there for...very poor delivery from set-pieces.

4/ Richard Dunne 7
    On a whole coped well, made his mandatory clumsy challanges in the match. Coverd well for the incompitent Carr.

5/ Kenny Cunningham 6
    Simular to Dunne, coped well for the majority, but again gave players to much space infront of him, relyed on the offside trap nieavly, and failed to track swiss runs towards the end.

6/ Matt Holland 6
    Drifted in and out of the game, but managed to retain possesion well, added that element we didn't have in Cyprus, failed to impose himself to the level required. Was alone in the centre of the park.

7/ Andy Reid 4
    Very poor delivery, extremely predictable, always cut back onto his left foot, crossed from deep, and either hit it at the defender, or far to high and looping. Bottled it.

8/ John O'Shea 0
    Should never play for his country again.

9/ Clinton Morrison 5
    Can feel hard done by by the ref, but lacked the intelligence to stand off the defender, wasn't helped by Brian Kerr's inability to change tactics of hoofing the ball upfield with no real direction to our approach. Out of his depth in the system..shouldn't shoulder more than half the blame for his performane.

10/ Robbie Keane 4
    Complacient. Should be dropped. Trys the spectacular, neglects the basics..and no longer works hard...has lost all value to the team.

11/ Kevin Kilbane 3
    Managed to track back on occasion, but offerd absolutely nothing going forward, like his teammates delivery was aupauling. Very average player.

Substitutes:

12/ Stephen Elliot 7
    Immudiatly made an impact getting ball to feet, trying to create, good movement, great spirit, work rate and attitude. Should feel robbed not to have started, and should expect to be started in future.

13/ Stephen Reid 7
    Got the ball to feet, good delivery, came closest to scoring for us on the night, got stuck in and won possesion. Should feel robbed not to have started, and should expect to start in future.

14/ Ginger Pele 2
    Usual bulls*it .... wouldn't get into the combh rambelers team...is a shokingly poor defender playing as a striker...sums up Brian Kerrs ability to pick a team and formulate tactics...hit the ball towards a tall man and see what happens. If he ever breaks his leg, should be shot like the horse that he is.

Brian Kerr 0
    Fired. Complete moron. If you defended him before this round of matches, you should feel incredibly stupid. Because you are. Completely out of his depth, not a clue about anything football related. I wouldn't allow him to manage my local spar for fear of it burning down. Sent Irish football back 30 years to the days of Eoin Hand. Fourth seeds in next qualifying campagin, possibly 20 years or so before we'll ever qualify for anything again. Completely inadequite as usual....with 5 minutes left in his job, he subs off a striker. Left Carr on the park. Completely wrong selction. A bonafied Moron.

The Ref 0
    Should get the chair.

I'll agree with all of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Get rid of him now! That was yet another disgraceful performance.

- John O'Shea in midfieldinstead of Graham Kavanagh?
    - Clinton Morrison instead of Cyprus matchwinner Stpehen Elliot?
    - Robbie Keane substituted instead of the awful Morrison?
    - Only two strikers up front for the last 20 minutes?
    - G*ry D**erty as your potential get out of jail card?
    - Hoofing the ball yet again?

Kerr is out of his depth as Ireland manager and has been since day one.

I'm not going to even waste my precious time talking about him.

KERR OUT NOW! :mad:

Get rid of him now! That was yet another disgraceful performance.

- John O'Shea in midfieldinstead of Graham Kavanagh?
    - Clinton Morrison instead of Cyprus matchwinner Stpehen Elliot?
    - Robbie Keane substituted instead of the awful Morrison?
    - Only two strikers up front for the last 20 minutes?
    - G*ry D**erty as your potential get out of jail card?
    - Hoofing the ball yet again?

Kerr is out of his depth as Ireland manager and has been since day one.

I'm not going to even waste my precious time talking about him.

KERR OUT NOW! :mad:

Shut up you muppet, face the facts. We are crap, the squad is utter ****e. We can't play without keane. We have no up-and-coming players. We are useless. Get it into your skull. Just have a bloddy look at the eircom league. It _mostly_ had nothing to do with Kerr. The players are rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Kerr out!

I don't care who we get in place of him OR if we never qualify for anything ever again but I can't sit thru another two years of that worthless shít.

I'm not going to blame a single player on our team for that rubbish out there tonight. Kerr picked that team sent them out and you could see they were playing to his wishes. Many may disagree but imho there's nothing more our players could have done out there bar tell the manager to go f-himself and throw the playbook out the door.

The manager has them in a creative and tactical stranglehold where initiative, individuality and variation is the #1 no-no. Every movement of ours is the same old useless drill that didn't work last year, last week, or even five minutes ago yet they get repeated ad nauseum as tho performed by a bunch of mindless automotons instead of men.

Everyone goes on about us 'not having the players' atm but Ireland has always been about playing in ways that make us more than the sum of our parts. Kerrs system however is actually making them less than the sum ... and when the sum isn't that much to begin with you're asking for trouble.

Honestly I felt sorry for our lads out there tonight.

Kerr out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Just in from the game :confused: obviusly gutted..2 words spring to mind
    NO EXCUSES.. we had our chance and we blew it and we are simply not good enough!

I do not go along with the assterion of some people that Brian Kerr should get the sack,he still has got a lot to offer and i should sincerly hope the FAI do not listen to the muppets in the media who are on a witch hunt to get him sacked..this is obviously a bad time for Irish Football and we are all upset but to suggest that Kerr is the root cause is nonsense,ultimately some of those players on that pitch tonite are simply not good enough to represent their country..anyway ive had enough for tonite.... :confused:

jonny68 wrote:
    Just in from the game :confused: obviusly gutted..2 words spring to mind
    NO EXCUSES.. we had our chance and we blew it and we are simply not good enough!

I do not go along with the assterion of some people that Brian Kerr should get the sack,he still has got a lot to offer and i should sincerly hope the FAI do not listen to the muppets in the media who are on a witch hunt to get him sacked..this is obviously a bad time for Irish Football and we are all upset but to suggest that Kerr is the root cause is nonsense,ultimately some of those players on that pitch tonite are simply not good enough to represent their country..anyway ive had enough for tonite.... :confused:

Here here!

sjones wrote:
    Shut up you muppet, face the facts. We are crap, the squad is utter ****e. We can't play without keane. We have no up-and-coming players. We are useless. Get it into your skull. Just have a bloddy look at the eircom league. It _mostly_ had nothing to do with Kerr. The players are rubbish.

Your obviously the only muppet around here (unless kerr is registered, then theres two of you0

The facts are there, even forgetting all the other matches and just looking at today, an all the pundits on all the channels agree.

Carr ahead of Finnan- wtf?

Josh has been terrible, shouldnt have been on the pitch.

every other manager in the world would have had AT LEAST 3 strikers on at the end, swapping like for like and holding your formation in the last 10 mins of a game you have to win just doesnt work. Its not like we were hammering them and just missing chances.

Gary doherty - doesnt need explaining.

jonny68 wrote:
    I do not go along with the assterion of some people that Brian Kerr should get the sack,he still has got a lot to offer

Well I hope he has because he has given nothing.

jonny68 wrote:
    ultimately some of those players on that pitch tonite are simply not good enough to represent their country:

Who put them on the pitch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Unless someone like Martin O'Neill will take the job I reckon sacking Brian Kerr is a bit of an over-reaction. It was a tough challenge without our 2 best players and not surprising we didnt win. To change manager because of 1 failed campaign however is over the top, chances are he'll be a better manager next time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

whiskeyman wrote:
    No change.... you dont exactly get Celtic jerseys at Windsor Park.
    Just look at all the boos Hartson got last weekend.
    I really think O'Neill would be brilliant for us.

O'Neill would be a good choice. Not sure how he's perceived up North since he went to Celtic but before that he was highly respected by both sides of the community. I presume he, Jennings and Armstrong didn't get much stick for lining out for Northern Ireland?

As for Celtic jersies at Windsor park - I know some guys through work who attend games there and say the jersies worn are practically all Northern Ireland ones. Not Rangers or Linfield.

Unlike us in Lansdowne where some people cannot differentiate between Ireland and Celtic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I don't know if it's over the top to change manager because of a failed campaign but yes, if there is nobody else there to take the job there is probably no point in sacking Kerr. As much as you all hate him the FAI will just hire some other muppet that doesn't know what he's doing. What's the point really?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's not really fair to say Kerr should go because we failed to qualify.

It is fair to say that he should go because of the complete lack of heart, organisation, intelligence, teamwork ...etc that the team played with for the last few games (Israel x2, France, Cyprus, and now Switzerland). If they played well and still didn't make it, that'd be one thing. The way they lost it is what's really bad and that's no ones fault but the managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I am all for giving someone a chance but I honestly do not think Kerr has got the ability to improve that team..

If you look at it, when he took over, he effectively continued with McCarthy's tactics and squad. He made very few changes.. Early days, we seemed to be playing relatively well under him but we have just slowly got worse and worse for every match we have played.. He has lost the players in the same way Houllier lost them for Liverpool..

It was a tough challenge without our 2 best players and not surprising we didnt win. .
    I presume you're talking about Duff and Keane.
    You have to realise Roy is out of the International situation now, and relying on him over this past campaign was nonsense.
    Duff hasnt been playing well of late anyway. He just doesnt seem to be taking on players like he's used to.
    Overall, the tactics tonight and management decisions were brutal. We didnt learn our lessons from any of the previous games in the campaign.
    I dont believe Kerr should go because we failed to qualify... he should go because some of the decisions he's made in the process are inexcusible IMHO
    (tonights were the final straw).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

poor preformance overall.

Holand was fairly good, we had some sort of anchor in midfield, Kilbane gave 110% as usual but was ineffective.

Stephen Reid is possibly the only positive thing on teh night, came on made an immediate impact. Clinton was ok didnt get much service upfront. Elliot wasnt any better that Robbie Keane, who should have got a few shots on target then he wouldnt have been subbed. Did he try and do a bicycle kick in the box????!!!!

Given brilliant as usual.

If we can get a quality manager with more top level experiance(either Premiership, Champions league or taken a national team to great heights) then we should replace Kerr.
    If not I think there would be little point in replacing him. Good as Kerr was at Junior level i think the failure to qualify for the last two major competitions shows his lack of experience at the top level of Soccer management.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

People seem to forget that we never beat a top80 team even with Keane and Duff. Whoever is in charge I don't think these guys are a capable bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I am in such a bad mood I dont want to write out a long post at the moment. All I have to say is that we were very bad tonight. We had 2 shots on target in the 90 mins of a game we had to win. For those of you giving out about Keane being taken off you must have been watching a different game. He was rubbish from start to finish with his ball control so bad it was embarrassing. He mis controlled the ball and lost possession so many times. Harte played very well defensively I thought and S.Reid was very god when he came on.

Kerrs tactics were way off as usual and to have only 2 strikers on at the end one of which is a centre back is just shocking. Kerr has got to be sacked now he is just awful.

Ill write a more detailed post tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm sorry to say it, but I won €400 on this game.

I am half sad, half happy.

dublindude wrote:
    I'm sorry to say it, but I won €400 on this game.

I am half sad, half happy.

You sir, make me sick :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Hey, at least I took something negative from a bad situation! (and it was obvious it was going to be a bad situation.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The real damning factor about Kerr is how blind he is to his teams's performances over the last few months.
    He said tonight that 'the players played with great poise and passion against France in Dublin'.
    'Poise:refers to a person’s composure, assurance of manner, and confidence in handling situations.'
    The Irish team in the last 3 matches showed none of these attributes.
    Poise does not equal repeatedly lumping a ball 60 yrds up the pitch and hoping for a knock down from a forward 6 inches smaller than his marker.
    If he is blind to the problems and can see no problems with the way his team play then he must go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement