Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to subscribe to Boards.ie

• 24-07-2003 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

And what does it mean?

Subscribing is a way of helping the boards community as it may have helped you. By making a donation of 5 euro a month, 13 euro for three months or even cheaper - 50 euro per year, you get a warm feeling along with some fandangly things like...
    • Can upload a custom avatar (90x90 pixels, non-animated)
    • Can change the tag line under your username
    • Can request changes to your username (admin discretion)
    • Increased private message quota (5000 as opposed to 500)
    • Can send PMs to 15 users simultaneously (as opposed to 5)
    • Unlimited attachments
    • Increased Albums permissions (higher resolution, larger file size, lots more items)
    • Can add items to the Boards.ie Calendar of Events
    • yourname@bmail.ie email address. (problems with this at the moment)
    • Funky coloured stars underneath your name (should be at the top of the list tbh)
    • Access to the Sex and Sexuality board.
    • Access to the Subscribers board and the First Class Lounge
    • The ability to turn on/off banner advertising in your UserCP (under Options)
    • And most importantly you get a warm fuzzy feeling from the knowledge that you are participating in keeping one of your favourite sites on the internet.

How do you do this you may ask??
    Go here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/payments.php and pay by paypal.

At the moment we can only accept payment via PayPal - other methods are too hard to track.

The plan is to change that whenever we can, but right now it's the only option available, sorry for the inconvenience :(

Once You Have Subscribed

Go into your user cp and click on the group memberships link to see if your subscriber option is there. If it is, click on it to update your profile.

If you do not have a credit card to subscribe via paypal, you can get prepaid one-use VISA numbers from
    https://www.3v.ie/index.cfm

These numbers will allow you to subscribe, as normal, but without the need for your own credit card account. You only have to be over 16 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The 3v vouchers works great, but bear in mind that Paypal charge 80cents ($1) when you subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Can you pay through Direct Debit? I have a PayPal account but not a credit card. And that 3v link isn't working...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

nope but if you transfer your money to me i can use my credit card to subscribe you. Seriously.

I've subscribed Hagar and HavoK this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

That'd be great, thanks, I'll drop you a pm.

grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

RuggieBear wrote:
    nope but if you transfer your money to me i can use my credit card to subscribe you. Seriously.

I fully endorse this product or service. Thanks Ruggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Could I too request this transfer to wonderful paypal service? Nobody will give me a credit card. And they're right too.

I'll pm you

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I hope the Admins are buying you pints for this Ruggie!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

What about by laser card?

Beruthiel wrote:
    I hope the Admins are buying you pints for this Ruggie!

now there is an idea....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Subscribed..guess there's a waiting period before any changes occur?

funkyflea wrote:

nope...should be straight away

go to your user profile and on the bottom left should be group memberships...this lets you get the pink stars if you change your group membership to subscriber .

you can also use your user cp to change your tagline (edit profile) and change your avatar to a 64x64 (edit avatar)

funkyflea wrote:

Well, your inbox should go up to 3000 fairly quickly, and you can change your stars to the red ones by going into your User CP, and then going down to Group Subscriptions.

Bah, too late.

Myth wrote:
    Bah, too late.
    hehehe:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Ahhhh fantastic!

Thanks lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

this is stupid i cant sign up for paypal with my 3v card because i need to get some code with my next statement whihc you dont get with a 3v card.. goddamn it why do you have to take paypal its so stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Steoob, if you can find an easier system that integrates perfectly with VB3 and the boards.ie bank account then feel free to let us know.

Cash/cheque/bank transfers all are not possible due to logistical factors unfortunately.

how come the person up on he second or third post said that 3v works perfectly?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ah, I'm not sure about that sorry. Maybe someone else here has used 3v? If so, can you let Steoob know how to use it? If it doesn't work I'll amend the initial posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

God, thats quick to subscribe, about 30 seconds is all it took!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

God, thats quick to subscribe, about 30 seconds is all it took!!

Do I also get VIP seats at the next Beers??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Steoob wrote:
    this is stupid i cant sign up for paypal with my 3v card because i need to get some code with my next statement whihc you dont get with a 3v card.. goddamn it why do you have to take paypal its so stupid

If you go to the 3v.ie enter the card number and the 3 digit security code, it will take you to a screen listing all the transactions on that 3v card, including the paypal four digit code.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Em, I just subscribed (thought it was about time I gave something back) and was wondering what the story with the email is? How do I set it up and access it, and can I choose the name or is it stuck with my username?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Must say, tis rather annoying having to use the credit card system.
    I was about to (finally) subscribe using paypal by simply transfering money from my paypal account to yours (boards.ie), even still, it insists on a (pointless) credit card number which I wont be putting in.

Ah well, I tried to give ya money, guess yis dont want it.

b

Steoob wrote:
    how come the person up on he second or third post said that 3v works perfectly?
    Paypal doesn't require you to have your own paypal account to pay someone money - when you click the link you should be given the option to just pay from a credit card without signing up.

?

i have a follow up post solving this problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Yeah, 3v is great an all, use it myself from time to time.
    They just dont have enough outlets yet to make it "handy" for all boards users who may want to subscribe. An remember, not all boards.ie users are from Dublin, and outside the GDA their retailers are extremely rare at best.

For instance, now that chartbusters are'nt a 3v outlet anymore (have to wonder about that in itself, a company being ditched by an entire well known chain, cannot help but wonder about the future -or lack there of -of 3v), my nearest 3v outlet is over 4 miles away. And with their charges its just not worth it for the sake of such a small amount.

There has to be another way surely?

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ATHEANA

now i have registered does that mean i am meant to pay.....