Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drive letters

• 13-09-2001 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

how do i assign drive letters to drives (win98). i was installing a hdd the other nite and i wanted to assign specific drive letters to specific drive. any help?

j

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

disk manager in administrator tools

you can assign drive letters to the different partitions.

Just DONT make the new drive the primary partition (or is it active) unless it has an operating system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Originally posted by LoLth
    disk manager in administrator tools

you can assign drive letters to the different partitions.

Just DONT make the new drive the primary partition (or is it active) unless it has an operating system.

It's active. Primary is perfectly fine.

-Ross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

From Win98 you can only change the drive letters of Cd and Dvd-roms unless you use a third party tool like Drive Mapper which is part of Partition Magic suite, disk manager in administrator tools is for NT and Win2K which will let you change the drive letters but not in Win98.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

what do you want to assign the drive letter to be?

do you have only 1 partition on the first hard drive?

have you fdisk'ed the new hd as a primary partition or extended partition (it makes all the sifference in where it gets assigned as a drive letter)

i think priority goes like this

c: active primary partition (on old hd)
    d: primary partition (on new hd)
    e: extended partition (on old hd)
    f: cdrom

or like this:

c: active primary partition (on old hd)
    d: extended partition (on old hd)
    e: extended partition (on new hd)
    f: cdrom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

There is some way thro' Nero 5.5.

i accidentally renamed drives. Cant remember exactly now, but if you have Nero maybe its worth exploring:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,462 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I understand (but am not technicly competent in the matter) that win95 / 98 does not allow you rename after you put something in that drive / partition. Consequently you should decide early on what each drive should be called.

My prefences:

A: Floppy drive #1
    B: Floppy drive #2
    C: Primary HD (System)
    D: CD drive
    E: Secondary HD (Documents)
    F: Secondary HD (Documents)
    Y: Document Server
    Z: ZIP drive

If you have a small LAN you may wish to say use "J:" for the Document HD on John's PC. This method gets too complicated after 5-6 machince

Advertisement