Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do do with my nice shiny new Nokia 6230i?

• 10-10-2005 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting a 2gb MMC card to start with and putting a bunch of tunes on it, but I'd read on the nokia site that it only takes up to a 512mb card. anyway, I looked into it further and it would seem that the restrictions only apply if you're using the USB data cable to access the card, due to the way that particular connection works. If you use bluetooth or take the card out and use a card reader it works fine AFAIK. since I don't have a USB data cable, I'll be using one of the other two, although 2gb over bluetooth is going to be very slow, so i think a card reader is in order, although I'm still miffed they didn't change the whole taking out the battery to get to the MMC issue to a slot in card like other new phones, as it's a pain in the hole yanking the battery out to get to the card to do anything with it.

Anwyay, these guys at the link below have got 2gb MMC's working in the phone no problem, if anyone's interested, so I'm optimistic. 2GB of tunes in your phone is pretty impressive if you ask me. certainly beats the IPOD phone coming out now.

http://www.mobymemory.com/Content/Nokia.6230i.and.MobyMemory.1GB.and.2GB.MMC.Multimedicard.Memory.Cards.The.Photos.2127.html

overall it's a great phone though, apart from the fact that Nokia seem to have forgotten the option to 'delete all delivery reports' that they have in other phones, which makes it very awkward to delete them if you're a big texter, as you have to press 4 buttons (well, two different buttons twice) to delete a report, which equals 40 button presses for 10 delivery reports. not really acceptable.

my next plan is to get the MP3 player working in the car.

to some exent I have an advantage in that my existing car stereo is a tape player, so I just need to get a normal headphone jack adapter for the phone to play tunes on the go, such as this one here.

anyone have any other ideas about what do do with it to make the most out of the thing?

I was also wondering if there's any improvements in new firmwares etc. and what they are, if any.[align=right]13.16.137.10[/align]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Nokia don't publish the capacity of 3rd party memory, so they state either that of the ones they brand or tested... so you're right to go with a store that will guarantee the card work with a specific device... as there can be issues with memory card interoperability as many web forums can testify to

not sure about it "beating the current iPod" as you don't get the same UI, integration with iTunes, battery life etc... but could be a better option if you're after a converged device and happy enough with the given trade-offs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i thought the ipods had a crap battery life? anyway, if that was my primary concern, I'd get one of the new sony mp3 players rather than an ipod.

also, anyone know what battery usage is like playing MP3's v's AAC's?

does anyone know of any useful apps for the phone?

I have a few, but I haven't tried them out yet.

I've seen things like puppetmaster tha allows you to control your PC via the bluetooth connection, and an ebook reader which might be useful, but apart from that, what can I do with it?

I'm a tad annoyed that the radio only works with the headset plugged in, but I'm told that's down to the aerial being part of the headset cable, and not being able to get a signal without it, so I guess that'll just have to do as is.

I saw someone has done a drag and drop 3gp video converter from DVD, avi or mov's which will convert the (non-copyprotected) source (assuming 2h dvd video down to 250mb) in about 15 minutes, which is good.

will find a link later anyway if anyone's interested.[align=right]13.16.137.10[/align]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

Yeah have that phone myself with a 256mb card.At one stage had 27songs (averaging 5.5mb/song) and 2 movies on it with about 90 mbsspare!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bkeane

Bought 2gb mmc card on ebay for around €100 - works great - takes a while for the phone to read the music on the card when starting for first time after re-inserting card or turning off and on phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

does anyone know of any useful apps for the phone?
    I have a few, but I haven't tried them out yet.
    I've seen things like puppetmaster tha allows you to control your PC via the bluetooth connection, and an ebook reader which might be useful, but apart from that, what can I do with it?

I'm pretty sure that Apps like PuppetMaster are for smartphones.I have control freak which controls Winamp but i had to install a .sis file on my nokia 6260.The 6230i isn't a symbian phone so there isn't much to do with it.Apart from music,vid's, and pic's there really isnt much else.

But there is a good few Jar/Jad files popping up now.
    I had a msn messenger etc.But its costly(via Gprs).I think the site was getjar or somthing.

There may also be a e-book reader as a jar file but im not too sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Saw a 2gb mmc on ebay for 120 and was thinking of getting it but will it work in a 6230 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Generally speaking, yes, but depends on the card manufacturer, but most brands will work with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

vibe666 wrote:
    i thought the ipods had a crap battery life? anyway, if that was my primary concern, I'd get one of the new sony mp3 players rather than an ipod.

not sure how to quantify "crap" battery life, but it would be "less crap" than all the things a phone has to draw power on to operate plus all extra features you sound like you want to take advantage of ;)

two apps that would be good for Internet use, depending on your operator / account type and bearing in mind your GPRS tariffs are:

Opera Mini (small screen rendering browser - good for use with mobile sites e.g. the likes of those on www.pdaportal.com)
    http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/operamini/

IM+ (multi-service instant messaging client)
    http://www.shapeservices.com/eng/im/JAVA/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i guess I'll see about the battery life, but it's likely to be in a charger when i'm listening to music most of the time, either in work or in the car, so it's no biggie.

something i did find however is a drag and drop 3gp video converter that will happily convert pretty much any video file into the format that will play on the 6230i or pretty much any other 3gp enabled phone.

i converted an episode of lost into 3gp at the normal settings and it's squeezed it down to 22mb for a 40 minute episode, and considering the size of the screen it's quite watchable.

everyone at work is impressed anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bugger, didnt know about the 2gb/512mb USB thing. I got a 6230i on friday, have a usb adaptor (~€5.50) and 3.5mm (~€7.50) and 2GB card (€112) on their way too, all from regular ebay powersellers including delivery. The card says it works on a 6230i, I hope I dont need that bluetooth stuff as I dont have a clue about it.

I will post here when it arrives and tell you if it works with the 2GB

is it a USB cable for the phone or a USB card reader?

if you're trying to transer 2gb of data over the usb link then it'll be prutally slow too. i'm pretty sure it's only a USB 1.1 connection, not USB2 (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I don't know 100% that you'll have problems, so have alook online and see what you turn up about it. the info i have about the problems was from HERE and one other site I can't find now, but it might just be certain makes of memory card.

someone else said Nokia only guarantee that the phones will work with their own cards which only go up to 512mb which is why they state that on the website, but I really don't know for sure.

if you're using ebay anyway, then go for one of the cheap USB2 card readers and you should be fine. you should be able to pick one up for about a fiver.[align=right]13.16.137.10[/align]

Yeah, I read that link after I posted, so there may be problems. It is the USB cable for nokias. I didnt want to be opening up the phone every time, all other nokias I have you have to set the time and date each time the battery is removed (not sure about the 6230i). I am not too worried about it taking ages, I'll just leave it plugged in with power to it. Once I have it full once it should be only new songs now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Here is somethin to do wit your Nokia 6230i sell it/dump it and Get the SE w800i one of the best mp3 phones on the market at the moment.

It has a 3.5mm jack so you can use your own ear phones. great battery life and you dont have to take the battery out to change the memory card which it can support up to 4Gb

well at almost twice the price it would want to be better. the cards are almost twice the price too. Looks good but my whole point was something cheapish to bring to the boozer and not worry about, I have a separate mp3 player and camera that will do a better job than any phone.

If I was a sober careful person with less music it would be ideal though.

Richie6904 wrote:
    Here is somethin to do wit your Nokia 6230i sell it/dump it and Get the SE w800i one of the best mp3 phones on the market at the moment.
    there's just nothing like finding a practical solution staring you in the face is there!

meanwhile, back on planet earth...

I've had the battery/sim/mmc out of my phone a few times now and haven't ever had to reset the clock so far, so I guess it has a backup battery to keep the clock ticking. i guess it would only have to be tiny to work for quite a while if that's all it's doing.

be honest though, with 2gb of storage how often will you be changing the playlist anyway?

If it's only a few tracks then bluetooth is just about acceptable, and a USB card reader will do the rest. about €25 tops for the both I'd say.

rubadub wrote:
    Bugger, didnt know about the 2gb/512mb USB thing. I got a 6230i on friday, have a usb adaptor (~€5.50) and 3.5mm (~€7.50) and 2GB card (€112) on their way too, all from regular ebay powersellers including delivery. The card says it works on a 6230i, I hope I dont need that bluetooth stuff as I dont have a clue about it.

I will post here when it arrives and tell you if it works with the 2GB

well I got my stuff and it all works fine. Have loaded 2gb of music onto the card after loading on the nokia software using the usb cable. Does take a while but I wont be changing it much. First I connected with no software like a usb pendrive. I transfered stuff on which showed error yet seemed to load on ok. When I looked at it on the phone it did not recognise it. I think I read somewhere that it has problems being used like a pen drive at 2GB.

If you are getting just a card reader I would make sure it is going to recognise songs when you put them on it. I am glad I got the proper cable (not just a card reader). It appears like a removable drive in windows explorer and you can just drag and drop stuff onto it. the nokia looks like a new "my computer" which has the memory card, phone memory, contacts etc as sub folders. very easy to use. sound is great out of it.

the 3.5mm adaptor is a pain, but smaller than I thought, and with my sound isolating shures I can listen to people talk no matter where I am

Advertisement