Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give shares to moderators

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

you are a fishmonger azezil ?
    No I just stink of your ma!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

sceptre wrote:
    Oh I don't think it's ever been hidden that well
    Only because I couldn't be bothered my arse darling.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,415 ✭✭✭✭Victor

azezil wrote:
    No I just stink of your ma!

[taunting voice] Az is straight! Az is straight! Az is straight! Az is straight! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Shares for mods? How exactly are they to be divided out? Do people with more forums to mod get more? Do people who moderate "bigger" forums get more? Do Smods or Cmods get more?

Before you even get into the nitty gritty of whether boards owes it's moderators cash for their efforts you have to look at how exactly you could give them cash.

If you create a hierarchy it would seriously effect people's attitudes. Money has a habit of doing that. If you had a hierarchy dependent on position or on time served then I can guarantee you there would be a lot of friction between groups.

Seriously, how could you even impliment such a thing in a way that wouldn't bring a new ball of strife and problems to this site? You'd need to be able to answer this before you could even think about whether it should be done.

Imho I cannot see any way of implimenting such an idea that would cause serious issues. And I don't see why it's necessary either. Mods sign on for free not for the promise of cash down the line. Introducing cash into the equation changes things a lot.

There might be a multitude of reasons why moderators on here do it but I don't think that people do it because they expect money in return. It's a hobby not a job after all. I plough a lot of time into my hobbies, but I don't expect to be paid for it. I do them because I want to. I'm sure others are the same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

@azezil and @Victor

harsh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It would be harder than a blind lesbians nipples in a fish market to see this idea through to fruition methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Shares/Dividends for Mods. ye gotta be taking the pi$$!!!

I'm a mod here, and am quite happy to be one, though looking for money for being one doesn't come into the equation. This to me is a past time and nothing more!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I thought of this 3 years ago. For about 5 seconds. The inherent problems are extraordinary from legal (employment laws) to benefit in kind, to motivational (he got more then me *huff* ) to the consideration that we are growing all the time (if at first we had given 1% per mod , not a significant amount, we'd now have given away over 300% of the company).

These shares which cost us SO much trouble, are worth nothing unless the company pays out a dividend. Imagine if we paid out 10k in divs, thats a LOT of money, more then we've ever had in total, it would be about 35 quid per mod..... wow.

The other way is if the company is sold, but its REALLY unlikely for a variety of reasons. If it did, I'm sure we'd see the mods right. Its just not going to happen :(

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Gordon wrote:
    It would be harder than a blind lesbians nipples in a fish market

Possibly the greatest metaphor in the history of mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

mycroft wrote:
    Possibly the greatest metaphor in the history of mankind.
    Crikey!! For Shame!! I only just got that :o

I agree, greatest metaphor ever.

/me begins to repeat phrase mantra style...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

DeVore wrote:
    The other way is if the company is sold, but its REALLY unlikely for a variety of reasons. If it did, I'm sure we'd see the mods right. Its just not going to happen :(
    I know you're sincere when you type this but I think you realise the dangers of telling anyone "you'll see them right" on the proceeds of a startup. If it's really unlikely to happen then putting aside a share allocation (not issuing shares) for distribution to moderators in the future costs nothing and will never cost anything.

Debates about who gets what out of the pie can be deferred until the last day, but the overall allocation should be decided in advance, in the same way that you make deals on lotto tickets with your mate before you draw the winning numbers. The financial institutions that demutualised faced the question of how to divide the proceeds and it's the same question.

It's obviously something you need to decide with the other admins, seeing as they are equal shareholders.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'm lost for words.

(never stops me posting though ;P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Zaph0d wrote:
    I know you're sincere when you type this but I think you realise the dangers of telling anyone "you'll see them right" on the proceeds of a startup. If it's really unlikely to happen then putting aside a share allocation (not issuing shares) for distribution to moderators in the future costs nothing and will never cost anything.

Debates about who gets what out of the pie can be deferred until the last day, but the overall allocation should be decided in advance, in the same way that you make deals on lotto tickets with your mate before you draw the winning numbers. The financial institutions that demutualised faced the question of how to divide the proceeds and it's the same question.

Your thread has bugged me immensely from the get go.

Firstly the fact that it is based on some absurd 1996 model than you can make money doing anything on the internet. Boards appears to be going along nicely, scraping by, handling issues, the idea of shares is that now, or at some point shares will be worth something more than they are now, which means the admins (or board of directors) now have a onus to the shareholders not just the beligerant whingers who infest this site.

Leaving aside the fact that boards is unlikely to ever make real money, actually, no,, lets not leave that aside thats the fundamental flaw in your moronic idea. Because it cripples your conecpt. if boards was run with ther overall goal of making a profit for the admins, the group of tech savvy intelligent people who run the site would look at the cost, effort impact and walked away allong time go. Ditto the mods, I'm long of the opinion that Modd'ing AH shouldn't be a volunteer service, it should be performed as part of a community service, the ideal that this is a goldmine for the admins (never mind the mods that you feel deserve a piece of the (deservely in" " ") action, displays your ignorance of the site.

Secondly hey lets make more work for the admins, instead of just keeping the site running, holding libel and financial responsibility for the site, lets give them the additional headache of figuring why the mod of snacks and cakes deserves more shares than the mod of wanderly wagon or mustard.

Finally why, Mods enjoy doing what they do often volunteering their services or being enlisted and doing their job because they like, the site has worked under this platform for ages, why change this because you've some absurd notion over boards potential earnings which frankly aren't so much as naive, but like dropping a tooth under your pillow and expecting bullion to bloom.
    It's obviously something you need to decide with the other admins, seeing as they are equal shareholders.

Yeah but no. You've some warped criteria at work here man, in two threads in as many days you've been suggesting that mods should be voted out ala big brother, and now you think they need shares, voting rights and dividends. The cynic in me would suggest you've no interest in the overall welfare of this site because if you did you wouldnt be suggesting the both at the same time. Essentially suggesting they make moderation some random popularity contest while at the same making mods shareholders with voting and dividend rights, well you're frankly a dithering moron or a trouble maker of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

All he's looking for is a digital hug, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

Shabadu wrote:
    Zaph0d's just this guy, you know...

*sorry*

Shabadu wrote:
    I know someone who might have one for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

did somebody mention hugs.....

everybody loves a good hug!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'm currently selling shares of my body. once a year, a dividend of my yearly bodily produce will be mailed out to shareholders, to do with as they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

mycroft wrote:
    Your thread has bugged me immensely from the get go.

Me too. It is a stunningly stupid idea in every possible way. To organise and run it would be a nightmare of wasted time and bad feelings all round. It would change the whole atmosphere of the place for the worse and there would be no going back.

It is a minor miracle that boards has grown to the size it is without turning into the ignorant crapfests most big general topic boards do. Introducing profit, greed and an ownership hierarchy is an excellent way of destroying in record time all that boards has become.

I am sure it would be possible for the admins to make a few quid out of boards at some stage but not without turning the place into something entireley different (a soulless commercial wasteland comes to mind) and not somewhere most of the regulars would stay in for too long.

The only substantial monetary value boards.ie would have to sell is access to it's ever-growing member base and the only way of realising that is to sell it to someone who wants to use those members to sell products or propaganda to. It is not something I want to happen to the place and I very much doubt many of the mods would want it either, small share of the payout or not.

RuggieBear wrote:
    did somebody mention hugs.....

everybody loves a good hug!

I think in this instance your previous sig image would be more appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

John R wrote:
    I think in this instance your previous sig image would be more appropriate.

what....this one? :D

ruggie_horse1.jpg

• Advertisement

Baz_ wrote:
    Crikey!! For Shame!! I only just got that :o
    Hell, I only got the title of the movie "Go Fish" ten years after I watched the film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109913/

Advertisement