Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice request - multimedia system for sitting room

• 10-10-2005 11:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭

i am planning to have some form of multimedia system connected to my tv/amplifier in the sitting room - what i want is access to multimedia files on my main pc ( music/photos/video etc ), the ability to record and pause tv, some kind of internet access, and possibly email access.
    the original idea i had was to have a basic pc there with access to the local network and have a tv card in it, wireless keyboard and mouse, remote control etc etc
    then it dawned on me that a regular pc would not work because it would be too noisy - so to get a pretty silent pc i figure would be more expensive - alo with pc's i have all the inherient troubles ( malware protection, harddrive maintenance etc ) so i started considering getting one of those multimedia boxes - but they dont have the capacity for giving you internet access - or do they ??? - i also suspect that they are slightly limited in their capactity ( in that they can only access certain things on the main pc ) - and i havent seen one yet that can record/pause tv

anyway - i am in a bit of a quandry - there are lots of advantages and disadvantages on either system - what do people think - which is the better way to go - what does it depend on ???

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

There are two options, both of which you are essentially referring to.

One is the PC (noisey as it is), with a TV/FM radio card and software such as GB-PVR or Media Portal (my favourite). PC's running this type of software will do everything you want, including internet access and record/pause TV. Bear in mind, reading e-mail on the TV tends to be difficult (or any text, for that matter).

The other option is the Media Center PC. This is a dedicated PC purpose built for what you have in mind. It runs a customised version of Windows XP and will do all of the above. The cases tend to look like DVD players so fit right in under your TV.

Personally, I went for the Media Portal option. If you have a relatively new (2 years or less) PC, you can try downloading it and see what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

multimedia boxes

thanks tom but maybe i should have explained better - when i was on about a media box , i really meant one of those gizmos that are not pcs at all but that connect to your ethernet/wirelss network and allow you to access media from the network - i was wondering if anyone had any experience with these and whether there were any of them on the market that could record/pause tv and allow internet access etc and which route was best - pc or gizmo ( dont really know what it's called )

thanks anyway tho - good tip about text - how do you find the mmpc ---- noisy/quiet??? .... good value ????? .. which brand did you get ??? .... is there a remote and is it any good ?? - does it pick up on the irish tv channels ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

gumboots wrote:

thanks anyway tho - good tip about text - how do you find the mmpc ---- noisy/quiet??? .... good value ????? .. which brand did you get ??? .... is there a remote and is it any good ?? - does it pick up on the irish tv channels ??

I actually built my own. Well, built is probably the wrong word, I'm using a laptop running XP home and Media Portal. I find it incredible, especially since it is hooked up to my projector. :D It was a bit of a pain to set up, but well worth the effort.

There is a piece of software called XMLTV which will pick up the Irish channel listings for you so you can record to the hard-drive.

A dedicated PC is the way to go, especially if you want everything in one box, under the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

This is the Mo-Fo you want http://estore.pinnaclesys.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayCategoryProductListPage&SiteID=piestore&Locale=en_GB&categoryID=806000

I have the Showecentre 1000G works a treat, the 200 is an upgrade.

John

Advertisement