Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trojans On PSP

Options
  • 10-10-2005 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

FROM I.T. VIBE

New trojan kills Sony PSP console ...Gaming
    Posted on Sunday, October 09, 2005 at 21:50 by Rich Kavanagh

Experts at Sophos have warned users of Sony's Playstation Portable (PSP) to think twice about "modding" their handheld games console after the discovery of the first malicious Trojan horse for the platform.

The Trojan horse, which poses as a hack or "mod" to allow users to run unauthorized and "homebrewed" software, actually deletes essential system files on the PSP and renders it unbootable.

Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos said,

"The good news is that you are extremely unlikely to have your shiny new PSP affected by this Trojan horse unless you're intentionally trying to 'mod' it to run unauthorized software. It isn't a virus, and cannot spread under its own steam. However, if you are unfortunate enough to run this Trojan horse you will be turning your new toy into an expensive lump of black plastic."

Sophos continues to recommend that users exercise caution about what software they run on their computers.

now could this be something launched by Sony themselves to prevent people modding??? in this reporters view ... yes

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think it could be BS as well but there could be someone on the web who is having a great laugh at all the people downloading his little piece of malware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

oops....just posted a similar thread in the PSX forum....and like the OP in this one, I too suspect a sony hand (or at the very least, propaganda) in this story...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

cud just return it and say it stopped working :D
    does sound like either sony made it or bs

Advertisement