Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give us Barabbas

Options
  • 10-10-2005 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

What if one of the admins picked the 3 worst mods every three months and suspended their modding rights pending enquiry? A 'Death Row' thread would be opened where everyone could make witness statements for and against. Poor decisions, abuse of power, long absence from participation, decisions overturned by higher authority would all be discussed. After a week, there would be a poll and the worst mod would be chosen and stripped of authorita, post count reduced to zero and other nerdy punishments.

Benefits would include:
    • Reminds mods to behave themselves
    • Serious warning to those who escape death row
    • Removes mods who are so bad that they damage the rep of boards.ie
    • Sky1-style witch-hunt entertainment for the troops
    • Reassures ordinary boardsers that mods are not acting without limits
    • All done in public and transparently - justice seen to be done
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Today is officially "Stupid suggestions on Feedback" day!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Call me crazy, but if there's a problem with a moderator I think it's better to handle it somewhat discreetly. Is boards no longer enough of a soap opera for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

what

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Zaph0d wrote:
    Another suggestion...

Either Zaph0d is off sick, or it's quiet in work ;)

Surely not the best, but probably the most humourous, way to deal with bad mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I would love to know what this guy has been smoking because it seems like some Crazy Sh!t. Lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I blame the increasing bread-and-circuses position of U.S. showtrials for making people think that a complaints procedure should be entertainment.

Either there is a problem with a moderator or there is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Tbh maybe I have being hiding under a rock but in general most mods on boards do theyre jobs well.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

We should do it like those Greeks did in Greece: rotate mods every month or so choosing the mods by picking randomly from a hat and then the cmods are voted for by those mods that are picked out of a hat and the smods are chosen by the cmods and the admin by the smods. Not sure where that leaves us with hmods nmods and the biker mods so in essence it could be a crap idea, but then the initial idea is just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I can think of a mod who is always on a powertrip....i use the word hate....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Yes. This is a fantastic idea. The two mods nominated must fight to the death to prove their worthiness.

STAmokTime.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I wager 400 quatoos on the newcomer.

Sarky wrote:
    I wager 400 quatoos on the newcomer.
    Actually Sarky, that infamous 'The something-something wagers 300 quatloos on the newcomer' quote is from the 'Gamesters of Triskelion' episode with the giant floating brains. People quite often misattribute it to the episode 'Amok Time' where Kirk is chosen by T'Pring to fight Spock in the rite of Kunat Kali Fee.

Both classic episodes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

****ing nerds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That is probably because both are mixed together in an episode of The Simpsons when Homer and Barney are training to be astronauts. Barney and Homer are clearly re-enacting the Spock/Kirk fight, while one of the scientists clearly says the giant floaty brain quote.

I stand by it, and shall not be moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

What is happening?
    Star treking across the universe.
    Doh.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Giblet wrote:
    what
    ^

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Shabadu wrote:
    Actually Sarky, that infamous 'The something-something wagers 300 quatloos on the newcomer' quote is from the 'Gamesters of Triskelion' episode with the giant floating brains.
    40 in the episode, 400 in The Simpsons IIRC (though one of the Providers may well have bid 300 to buy all the newcomers). Otherwise I believe you're entirely correct. The Mission Impossible tape guy did one of the voices for the floating brains.

Anyhoo, I blame a short number people for suggestions like this: William Harrison, Stephen King, Sheena Easton, John de Mol and the Loud family from Santa Barbara. They're bold people and the still-living ones deserve something of a slap, though I'd half-excuse the first two.

sceptre wrote:
    40 in the episode, 400 in The Simpsons IIRC. Otherwise I believe you're entirely correct.

*ahem* :)

mmmmmm. sounds good ^

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Zaph0d wrote:
    What if one of the admins picked the 3 worst mods every three months and suspended their modding rights pending enquiry? A 'Death Row' thread would be opened where everyone could make witness statements for and against. Poor decisions, abuse of power, long absence from participation, decisions overturned by higher authority would all be discussed. After a week, there would be a poll and the worst mod would be chosen and stripped of authorita, post count reduced to zero and other nerdy punishments.

Benefits would include:

I vote Zaph0d's username be amended to include the prefix "Mistress".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Zaph0d wrote:

Benefits would include:

i'll get me coat....
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

Dans ce pay-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres.
    ...still holds true. Who wouldn't be cheered up by the occasional shooting? I don't know any really bad mods but there must be one out there. Let's lynch the bastard!

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Zaph0d wrote:
    ...still holds true. Who wouldn't be cheered up by the occasional shooting? I don't know any really bad mods but there must be one out there. Let's lynch the bastard!
    This is not a 1930s profit geared corporation.

like, wtf?

i'll get me coat....
    :(

Ah dont feel bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I've made a suggestion box for your noteworthy suggestions Zaph0d:

suggestion_box.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Shabadu wrote:
    Ah, thought you had me there. He's bidding to buy them (provider one eventually bought them for two thousand), not wagering on them, which happens later. Having said that I'm no longer that sure even forty comes into it later, though I do definitely remember someone wagering a hundred on the noobs.

I suppose if this was on the [strike]nerd[/strike]Star Trek board someone who owns the DVD might kindly go and check. This really is a bit nerdy innit. And I can't remember whether nerd or geek is the bad term.

Curses. That does make sense as the provider says 'bids' rather than 'wagers'.

/me doffs cap to superior nerd

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

no!
    does this stuff keep you awake at night Zaph0d?

if there is a problem with a mod, the Admins will sort it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Zaph0d wrote:

Benefits would include:

Bad idea. Such a topic would turn into a complete war.

Zaph0d is on a "I want to give feedback to boards" role today :D lol :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Sarky wrote:
    That is probably because both are mixed together in an episode of The Simpsons when Homer and Barney are training to be astronauts. Barney and Homer are clearly re-enacting the Spock/Kirk fight, while one of the scientists clearly says the giant floaty brain quote.

I stand by it, and shall not be moved.

% Scientist: I'll wager 400 quatloos on the newcomer.

Well stood

Advertisement