Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does a cat die?

Options
  • 10-10-2005 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Have an elderly tom cat (~14 years). He's gotten very old lately and looks like he's on his last legs.

Just wondering do cats go off somewhere quiet to die, or will he stay close to the house. He used to be very energetic and wander around the neighbourhood. But these days he never leaves the back garden.

Anyone any experience?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

While fourteen is a respactable age, it isn't necessarily "lights out" time yet. Cats can live up to 20 years or more.

So before you mentally bury him already ...why not take him to a vet and get him checked. Maybe all he needs is abit of TLC to be his old, energetic self again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Oh we've taken him to the vet. Nothing obviously wrong with him apart from old age. He used to be a bit of a fatty but is now very thin. Doesn't eat as much as he used to. Also his back seems to be causing him probs.

But as I said Vet said nothing wrong with him apart from being old.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Don't really know the answer to your question ...all our cats that died did so in our arms at the vets.

Has your fellow easy and constant access to the inside? I bet in this weather he'd rather be near somewhere warm than out the back, especially since he is getting thinner.

oh yea. He's always welcome to come indoors. Basket by the radiator etc. Just seems to prefer to sit on the wet grass instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Rantorama

We had a cat that was very ill for a few months(he had been suffering from cancer)
    He never ventured very far from our garden when he was healthy.But towards the last week or so of his illness he picked a spot in the hedge and stayed there most of the day(afaik if a cat feels unwell or injured they will find a quite spot away from other animals or any kind of danger so they cannot be attacked)
    You might try moving his bed to somewhere a bit quiter away from noise,to try and intice him indoors.
    Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Think that's a bit of an old wives tale prolly because if people lets cats wander they get killed by cars etc and people just presume they went of to die.
    Cats will usually stick close to the house especially in old age, depending on wether they are neutered etc.
    Our olde girly would most likely be found in the hot press (her little place since she was a kitten).

Rantorama: Thanks for info. Homer has a basket in quiet part of house. No small kids or anything so he's usually got peace and quiet

Guineapigrescue: Thanks for info also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Can't promise anything of course, but I would like to give your cat a free Reiki treatment if ya like. I am doing holistic animal healing and I am usually around on a monday @ St. Francis Animal Clinic, Tyrconnell Road in Inchicore. It is a charity clinic and quite inexpensive and the vet could look after your cat as well. It is up to you.

Thanks for the offer. Going to see how he does for a week and see if he picks up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭HSo

We have had many Cats over the years and some have died of old age, usually between 15 and 20 years. Each Cat is different. We found that when they quite old, over 15 they tend to stay in the house and sleep most of the time only going out to go to the toilet but come in again quickly. In our experience the end came quickly when it happened and the first signs were that the Cat got quite skinny even though he/she would still be eating ok. I think it is kidney failure that usually gets them in the end. The last Cat to die on us was a yaer ago this month, she was 18. We got her cremated and the ashes were returned in a tiny Casket. Presently we have 5 Cats, all neutered which I believe helps them live longer (barring accidents).

• Advertisement

thanks for the info.

just an update: Homer wasn't looking too good over weekend. Little interest in food, sitting on grass in the same spot etc. This morning he was having difficulty standing so we decided the best thing was to let him go.

Thanks for all the info and offers of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

I think you were right...

Sounds like he was just passing gently with old age...kindest to let him go while the weather was still warm and not leave him stand vigil in the cold...

:(

So sad, but death from old age is something none of us can get exemption from.

Advertisement