Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping cats off the lawn

Options
  • 10-10-2005 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

These are mostly feral cats. There are at least ten in our neighbourhood, and they use my lawn as a latrine. This means keeping the children off it until it has been inspected, and regular cleaning of shoes. There can be nothing fouler than catsh*t.

Have tried the weird fake cat with spinning eyes, the sonic thingy and the green jelly crystals (which gave the best results of the three, about 70% improvement). But I still get poo in my lawn. Has anyone tried something that works (short of trapping and drowning them, which has been on my mind lately)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I was going to recommend the green crystals ...but then you tried them already.

The only thing I could think off (if your lawn isn't too big) is to fence it off and cover it with some of that cheapo plastic netting (keep the netting a few inches above the ground) and basically "close" their toilet for a while, so that they're forced to find another one.

Because as soon as one cat uses the spot, all the others will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

That's a good idea Peasant. With the last cut soon I can keep them off for a lot of the winter. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I haven't had to use it but I read a really good review of Silent Roar in the Guardian.

http://www.cat-repellant.info/html/silent-roar.htm

But you should check out some of the other things on the site too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

There can be nothing fouler than catsh*t.

Wait until you unsuspectingly come across fox dirt!.

Bottles filled with water seems to keep cats out of our flower bed yoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

we get this white can the screeches every night about 3 the bottles of water never worked, why do people say it does?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

a dog. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

mjquinno wrote:
    a dog. :D

A shotgun. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I mentioned this in another thread, i think....

Cats cannot stand Vinegar, so spray some of the stuff around the entrances to your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

we get this white can the screeches every night about 3 the bottles of water never worked, why do people say it does?
    Were the bottles standing up, or lying down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Greyhound

s (short of trapping and drowning them, which has been on my mind lately)?
    This and the other suggestions, "a dog" and "a shotgun" are "really helpful". I thought this forum was about discussing pets and animals. The charter states "Do not post anything others would find offensive."

I have to say, I find these idiotic comments most offensive. Feral cats are domestic cats that have been abandoned by their irresponsible owners. As someone who has seen first hand, the cruelty and hardship meted out to these creatures, I am majorly pissed off at this attitude.

I can understand people don't want to find cat poo on their lawn, but there are agencies out there who, if approached, could help. Sorry for the rant but I'm livid!!

I'm off to stroke me kittens.

• Advertisement

I think the comments were ment in jest, there is no need to be so sensitive.

I think the comments were ment in jest, there is no need to be so sensitive.

I think there is every need, if the comments were to do with say, minority groups or whatever, there would be an outcry. Because it's "just" cats it's ok???? I think not. It doesn't surprise me though, it's just an example of the " Irish attitude" generally to animal welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Why? A dog will generally keep cats away. Cats avoid houses with dogs in them. What's cruel about that? :confused: you're being too sensitive imo

A gun is a bit extreme tbh but hey its your property and if animals are straying on it and being a nuisance, you might have the right give em both barrels.

Im not sure what agencies investigate serial cat sh****ng though :rolleyes:

Bambi wrote:
    Why? A dog will generally keep cats away. Cats avoid houses with dogs in them. What's cruel about that? :confused: you're being too sensitive imo

A gun is a bit extreme tbh but hey its your property and if animals are straying on it and being a nuisance, you might have the right give em both barrels.

Im not sure what agencies investigate serial cat sh****ng though :rolleyes:

*Yaawwwnnn* you are just Sooooo funny :confused: You have obviously never seen a cat or kitten with its head blown off, otherwise you might be a bit more sensitive yourself.

Back to the topic................One proven way of preventing cats, feral or otherwise from coming onto your lawn is...............if you can "acquire" some big cat ****, as in lions or tigers, place this somewhere the other cats can smell it, this will solve your problem. I'm sure Dublin Zoo would help. You could also try contacting Cats Protection association on 8880828 or Cats protection SPCA on 8512005.

I'd recommend either

a) Cardboard cutout of a dog without a taped recorder taped to the back

b) Landmines

b) Landmines

Careful now! ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Greyhound wrote:
    *Yaawwwnnn* you are just Sooooo funny :confused: You have obviously never seen a cat or kitten with its head blown off, otherwise you might be a bit more sensitive yourself.

Back to the topic................One proven way of preventing cats, feral or otherwise from coming onto your lawn is...............if you can "acquire" some big cat ****, as in lions or tigers, place this somewhere the other cats can smell it, this will solve your problem. I'm sure Dublin Zoo would help. You could also try contacting Cats Protection association on 8880828 or Cats protection SPCA on 8512005.

Ive seen a few animals with their heads blown off, one imagines there's a similarity across species. It's legal for land owners to shoot stray dogs on their property so its possible that trespassing cats are considered nuisances in law too. Both suggestions seem less fantastical than visiting dublin zoo on a regular basis for tiger droppings, unless thats a joke. Prevent cats from using your lawn as a toilet by finding the largest cat droppings known to man and strategically placing them in the vicinty? defeats the original purpose somewhat , no??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

I think we are getting a bit off topic here.

I love cats and have one myself. Greyhound, I truly believe that the comments about landmines, shotguns and drowning cats were totally meant in jest.
    I even laughed at them. And if I ever saw someone doing anything like that to my cat I'd have a hard time not returning the favour.

Does anyone actually have any advice for spannerhead? Personally I had a problem with my last neighbour and I bought pellets on a weekly basis for them but they did not work. But the thing I found worked as a training tool for cats is a water gun. Now lads, a small puny water gun, no super soakers here (I know your minds ya feckers). When I found him on the kitchen counter or in the neighbour's garden taking a d**p (:D) I hit him once. Actually put a stop to it. Well, at the start it was while I was around but I then used a technique I used with my dogs when I was training them which is when I found evidence of their craps in the next door's garden or being up on the kitchen counter I'd bring them back there, give out and then spray him. Worked, but takes time and patience like all training.

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Snowball wrote:
    which is when I found evidence of their craps in the next door's garden or being up on the kitchen counter I'd bring them back there, give out and then spray him. Worked, but takes time and patience like all training.

Hope that helps

Sorry snowball but thats not training, it's luck ! To suggest that cats have the nessecery brain power to associate your rantings with actions they performed several hours earlier is ludicrous. And using water pistols on a pet does nothing other than instill a fear of the person with the pistol.

Advertisement