Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post count for subscribed threads...

Options
  • 10-10-2005 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Hi,

With the search feature down, I find myself depending on the subscriptions part of my usercp to keep track of the threads I post in.

However, in most cases when a thread comes along it's generally the same names that post to it again and again, so just listing the last poster to a thread isn't enough of a clue as to whether or not I've read that new bits or not.

What I would like to see is a postcount in the subscribed threads page, it's a much better indicator, and would shut me the feck up (at least in this thread), which would please a lot of people too.

Baz_
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Mine indicates with bold text and an arrow if there are new posts on the thread. Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

No you're not missing anything, but sometimes I have noticed there have been new posts that I haven't seen and its not bold anymore, I don't know if its time based or if it goes by when you last accessed the boards (i.e. you access boards.ie but don't check your subscribed threads), so the extra indicator would be really nice.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Baz_ wrote:
    No you're not missing anything, but sometimes I have noticed there have been new posts that I haven't seen and its not bold anymore, I don't know if its time based or if it goes by when you last accessed the boards (i.e. you access boards.ie but don't check your subscribed threads), so the extra indicator would be really nice.
    There's an arrow on threads that you've posted in to indicate that you've done so.

either of these:
    thread_dot_hot.gif
    thread_dot.gif

I'm pretty sure that's what he's referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Baz_ wrote:
    No you're not missing anything, but sometimes I have noticed there have been new posts that I haven't seen and its not bold anymore

I have noticed the same thing - it is only by chance that I notice that the thread has since been updated. And the reverse thing also happens to me, namely that no matter how many times I click on a thread it appears in bold in my subscribed threads page when it has not been updated.

As far as I can tell, it seems to happen mostly when I shut down FireFox. When I do so, it seems to totally forget what threads I have accessed. Must be some cookie thing...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

ecksor wrote:
    Mine indicates with bold text and an arrow if there are new posts on the thread. Or am I missing something?
    Mine does to, and in general it works perfectly. It's very handy for keeping track of what threads have replies that I haven't read.

Sometimes it can be a little inconsistent though. Sometimes it'll show a thread as unread (i.e. bold text) even after I've viewed it, altough I think that it may happen because sometimes I'd login, read a thread and then just close out straight away and whatever needs to be updated to show I've visited that thread doesn't get a chance. Sometimes too a thread will go from unread to read (bold to normal text) without me visiting it, seems to happen if I log in and have an unread thread, then leave and come back later on. I think that whats probably happening here is that it is marking threads which have new replies since my last boards visit instead of threads with new replies since my last visit to that thread, as I originally thought it did. I guess keeping track of individual users visits to individual threads is probably more load than the benefit would justify.

All in all though it works very well, and combined with the date and time shown of the last post on the thread, it's always been enough for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement