Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bin Laden under house arrest

• 13-09-2001 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

I just thought you'd all like to know that it is now being reported on Sky News that the notorious terrorist Osama bin Laden has been placed under house arrest by the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

... although... according to an article on nandotimes.com:
    But Taliban spokesman Wakil Ahmed Muttawakil denied Friday's report in Al-Quds Al-Arabi newspaper, saying Osama bin Laden "is free to go anywhere he wants in Afghanistan ... but he cannot talk to the press and he cannot conduct any political activity."

Muttawakil, a spokesman for Taliban leader Mullah Omar, said in Afghanistan that if there is any proof of wrongdoing against bin Laden, "we have high courts in Afghanistan and we will try him."

errr... wrong... if there is any proof of wrongdoing against bin Laden, America will seek him out and destroy him themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

The guy who trained them to fly is on Sky news at the moment, he's saying they were Afghan nationals.
    There are also reports that there are Egyptian and Saudi nationals involved too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

I think the Taliban government have since denied that bin Laden is under house arrest.

If those guys were from Afghanistan then there will undoubtedly be military action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It was just reported on Today FM's Ireland's Lunchtime News. They said that a Taliban Government representative has confirmed that they are currently holding bin Laden.

It's hard to be sure of these things until we see proper confirmation, so I'd recommend keeping an eye on Sky News - they seem to be the most up to date and reliable at the moment (particularly when compared to some of RTÉ's muppets who don't even have a clue of the very basic geography of the affected areas).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Forgetting the whole US incident for a moment, I'll be delighted if the Taliban are wiped out from an Afghani perspective: it used to be a lovely country with nice people and great to visit. It used to have a very relaxed (Indian-type) attitude. Now it's under control of this fundamentalists, and it can only be a good thing for the Afghanis who are living under this rule if the Taliban are taken out cleanly with a minimum of "collateral damage" as they call it, or innocent victims to you and me.

Back to the original point: what real substantiated reports are out there? Has anyone got links for us?

Cheers,
    Al.

• Advertisement
Advertisement