Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car alarm

Options
  • 10-10-2005 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

I am sure this has been covered but as you know the search facility is on the blink. Just looking for some advice on a car alarm, can anyone recommend brand/models or places in the Dublin area that fit them. Have they all got the same functions or is there things I should be looking out for besides the basics, things like electrifying your door handles :D god if only this was legal. No but seriously what features should I look out for

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭MikeHunt

I recently got one fitted from Pro Parts, around the Fairview area... cost €250 for alarm/immobiliser fitted in a few hours, and wired to the central locking. The brand is LaserLine which seem to be fairly popular. Rang around a few places and that was the best deal... decent lads there too. pro-parts.net is their website site with their phone number

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Personally i will only use and reccomend a clifford alarm.There most basic model is digital,comes with interior ultrasonics,valet override switch,immobiliser,shock sensor,remote locking interface is user programable,and has boot and bonnet switchs and remote start/boot release/full closure ect can be added on at a later time if you wish.

They start around 330 inc fitting and they also have a lifetime garuntee on them.

They have higher end models with all the trims and bells like remote start,blakjax,remote lighting tilt sensor,pager ect ect but for a basic alarm there better than any other on the market.

Id also adivse blackjax if your car is in anyway performance orientated or eye catching to a thief,basically there's a little button pad thats placed somewhere in your car,each time a door is opened you have to enter in a password or the car will shut down and wont start no matter what untill the password is entered,so if your hosue was broken into and the thiefs take your keys,within 60 seconds the car is stopped and useless to them.

Britton insurance also offer a discount on premiums with there thatcham approved models

The only place i know that does them is APA security in palmerstown/ballyfermot there numbers 6262455

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have a Cobra alarm in my car. I have had this alarm for almost 4 years now and have transfered it from my previous car. It is hooked up to the remote central locking and electric windows. It has a sensor in the boot and bonnet plus an internal IR motion sensor. There is also a panic button on the phob in the event you are attacked next to the car, it sets the alarm off straight away.

The only issue I had with it was when the battery in the phob had to be changed. When I put in the new battery the phob no longer worked. Did a search on the web and found that the phob had to be reset with the alarm by pressing the buttons in a certain sequence next to the car. It cost around €200 to fit down here but that was 4 years ago.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any places in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Clifford Alam, €1,000(ish)

If you are feeling a tad insecure.

I press keyring, car unlocks, start my car, it asks me for a pin.

If the pin is not enterd in 15 secs the engine cuts and will not acivate until I punch it in. clifford are one of the top brands there are cheaper versions available.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

I use clifford myself with Pager and remote start, seems to be very good, not too sensitive on shock sensor, works just the way it should

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

StRiKeR wrote:
    I use clifford myself with Pager and remote start, seems to be very good, not too sensitive on shock sensor, works just the way it should

I'm not a fan of t he remote start. Installed one on my own car a few months ago but the thought of having no immoboliser (IE. you have to over-ride the factory immoboliser and you can just pull the wires out of the clifford ECU to hot-wire the car)

And before people say you cant... Oh yes you can! Because I did it one day when I couldnt find my fob... I was shocked when the car started :eek:
    Remote starts are cool but very unsafe if you h ave a desirable car

JohnCleary wrote:

And before people say you cant... Oh yes you can! Because I did it one day when I couldnt find my fob... I was shocked when the car started :eek:
    Remote starts are cool but very unsafe if you h ave a desirable car

Is that not where the blackjax comes into effect(assuming the car has it) which then makes it useless to the would be thief?

My sister has a sigma alarm on her car and the brother has a cobra,both cost the same as an entry level clifford and neither seem half as advanced.On the both of them you can pop the bonnent or boot without setting the alarm off

I have install an immoboliser, clifford alarm and some other ones also, they have a immoboliser by pass output which only comes in to effect when you use the remote start, during normal operation car is immoboliser, when you activate remote start, the alarm then disable the immoboliser, but system still armed, if anyone opens the door before disarm, engine will cut out and immoboliser re-activated, atleast thats how mine works! I rebuilt my car and I installed all electrics including the alarm so I know it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks for the info lads,Eireal I like the thought of the lifetime guarantee but I presume they catch you on the labour?. Another words say after the standard 12months the alarm gets all touchy feely and keeps setting its self off I presume what ever parts the lads have to use are free but the bill you for their time

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

I saw a link on one of the other posts and had a read of what they have and they seem to have a good alarm system. You can work it from your mobile phone http://www.cyberoptics.ie/

If you forget to set your alarm and are away you can call the car and set it. If somone steals it you can call the car and cut the engine and other things like that.

I dunno anything about it and if it is easy to bypass or anything but it is worth a look anyway

• Advertisement

cubix wrote:
    Thanks for the info lads,Eireal I like the thought of the lifetime guarantee but I presume they catch you on the labour?. Another words say after the standard 12months the alarm gets all touchy feely and keeps setting its self off I presume what ever parts the lads have to use are free but the bill you for their time

Cheers

Not that im aware of,ive had mine in two years now and only recently my led for the alarm light stop working and i wanted the shock sensor turned up abit,i rang them,they booked it in,changed the led and upped the sonsor and said anyone more problems just let us know - no mention of money at all.

If you check www.clifford.co.uk you can get an idea of the systems you can get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭xtrac

Hi,

I got APA in palmerstown to install a clifford with blakjax in my scooby turbo, never have I slept so soundly with the car outside the door. very professional guys who do excellent work, Highly recommended. €850 all in for the alarm and fitting. and like they said lifetime guarantee.

-Roy

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭carrollf

Hi,

I have a 2001 320Ci that I have just bought. I know it has an immobiliser but am unsure as to whether or not there is a standard factory fit alarm installed? It doesn't say there is and it have never 'gone-off'.

I would like to get a Cobra or Clifford alarm put in but am unsure whether orr not this would work if there is already a BMW alarm installed.

Also, does putting in an alarm affect the warranty in any way?

if its only the immobiliser, clifford can work along with it, if it has factory alarm installed its better to remove it

I had a factory alarm and immobiliser in my car,i had them remove the factory unit and install the clifford,That didnt effect the standard immobiliser + there was the extra immobilser on the new alarm too

Advertisement