Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Look TV3 News

• 10-10-2005 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭

What do ye think of the new-look TV3 News?
    The opening titles are a bit too ITV for my liking (should we be surprised?)
    The studio's attractive, but too distracting.
    The astons look hideous, the previous ones were a bit big, but at least they didn't take up a quarter of the screen. The font and colour profile is a disgrace.
    There are teething problems with the new presentation which I assume will sort themselves out, but there's bigger problems with the new package that new to be gotten rid of.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Awful. The titles are shiney. Why?? Huge astons for no reason. They needed a change in set, but not something flashing in the background, really distracting. The Sky News set doesnt flash except for breaking news, maybe, but that is to get attention for breaking news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

looks nasty. reminds me of ITV News :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Awful, awful, awful - they've just lost their upper ranking over RTÉ News.

Cheap, crass and vulgar.
    The astons are by far the worst - truly astonishingly bad (though this may be intentional in the sensationalism stakes).
    The moving background is distracting, the laughably large desk mic in shot is the best joke ever, and probably the worst of all has to be the wide shot of the studio with cameras monitors and cables in view 'to make us look all modrin like'.
    It looks incredibly unprofessional and is part of this broader craze of late aimed at shattering the illusion of television. It doesn't work, especially with TV3 News where it's just a mess, especially when you see the newsreader still staring into the previous camera when the cut to wide is made - truly appalling.
    Indeed why bother going to the effort of building a new set with swanky new materials only to show all of the crap in front of it?!!
    What a farce.

If RTÉ News so much as dare attempt to emulate this for their relaunch in January in a typically juvenile attempt to copy News 24....if they so much as dare...

Whereas TV3 News' production values in terms of report editing and studio direction are still far superior to RTÉ in every respect, they've let themselves down big time now in studio presentation.
    So in a stark turnaround, RTÉ News now reign supreme with their Star Trek desk, matchbox set and scuffed floor :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭sonofsam

who cares ?? it's free is'nt it. Quit your moaning and get a life....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Haha, well said!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

sonofsam wrote:
    If you have nothing constructive to say regarding the topic, please don't bother posting.

Back on topic, I haven't had the "pleasure" of seeing the new TV3 graphics, but then I seldom watch TV3 anyway. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

It looks like news in the US - purty bright colours, short little no-depth stories - loads of sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

newgrange wrote:
    It looks like news in the US - purty bright colours, short little no-depth stories - loads of sport.
    Exactly.
    No change in content or journalistic style.
    Just some new makeup...

sonofsam wrote:

Yeah, very constructive, very insightful - thanks for that.
    So if we can't talk about presentation on a presentation relaunch thread, what do you suggest we while it away with?
    No need to be as detailed in your reply this time round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Any one have pics for us non Ireland living people.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Wonder will they get the news correct this time or still reproduce what they see on fox news aka announcing that the pope was dead 24 hrs before it happened and Claire Byrne struggling with the word papacy.Not to mention the eve of the All-Ireland semi-final intervewing Kilkenny hurler JJ Delaney and having the caption 'JJ Delaney Kilkenny Manager' when we know its Brian Cody.
    Production values don't count much when the news is factually incorrect. Unfortunately TV3 news is shallow with no substance whatsoever. I would have no problem at all with competition for RTE and a level playing pitch, but in no way would I share licence money with a station that produces slapdash like this

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    Yeah, very constructive, very insightful - thanks for that.
    So if we can't talk about presentation on a presentation relaunch thread, what do you suggest we while it away with?
    No need to be as detailed in your reply this time round.

My point was, why are ye getting so worried about it ?

So what, has it changed the content, NO, so why bother getting in a strop about some different graphics ??

Who cares. Seriously, you need to get out more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I liked it. However the titles (astons) where way too big and blocky.

Regardless of weather something is free or not we have the right to an opinion.

Anyway it's not often that we get to criticise or say well done to TV3 for their Productions.

Also I guess they are keeping the tvthree News logo even when they are getting a new looking in January.

Elmo wrote:
    I liked it. However the titles (astons) where way too big and blocky.
    Regardless of weather something is free or not we have the right to an opinion.
    While it's fine to have an opinion, why are some people getting so upset about a few graphic changes ?

People will moan about anything :confused:

i wouldnt call it a moan. more of an opinion

moaning is when when people come onto a thread saying "this thread is crap, stupid thread"

While it's fine to have an opinion, why are some people getting so upset about a few graphic changes ?

Who was getting upset?

Some people gave to opinion that they didn't like the new graphics on TV3 News, while others disagreed with them.

Those of us who like the changes where not given the reply

Which is exactly the reply we get when giving a bad opinion of TV3. Sometimes the truth hurts.

As I said before I like the opening sequence but the Anstons are too big for my liking.

You know TV3's "3 is a magic number" was give an award, as was TG4's current set of idents, should they have got awards?

And the Emmy's have a special caterogy for opening sequences.

sonofsam, believe me I don't care less for TV3, least of all its news output, so am if anything quite delighted at their (what is in my opinion) poor relaunch.
    No doubt you have many interests - evidently one of them is not television presentation, in which case don't bother reading so!

The big concern for me is that RTÉ will attempt to imitate TV3 in their up-coming relaunch with naff features like the wide shot of the studio with all technical elements in view, or move the presenters about the place as a silly distraction as per TV3/BBC Six/BBC Newsline. RTÉ have a habit of copying the 'coolest' aspects of other broadcasters - what inevitably are the aspects it could most do without.

Some elements of the new TV3 headline sequence are effective - though those astons just have to go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As I said elsewhere... the font used for the astons is very much reminiscent of 1980s US TV. Anyone who has ever seen old-school CNN - or the television series Murphy Brown - will know the style I mean. They are even worse, in that they have that whole background with animations all about. They are bigger than Sky News' which considering how big SKy News' astons are is quite an achievement.

The titles do remind one of ITV News 1999-2004 style, what with those logos which are spinning about. Even ITV News has dropped this look (over a year and a half ago now) for something far more subtle and subdued. The music is also terrible, they would do well to revert to the original arrangement ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

they haven't quite got the hang of these new-fangled graphics :D
    tehcooney9db.th.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

looks even more tabloidy than the last

• Advertisement

that picture, shows one of the main reasons i avoid TV3 News. whats his name, Aidan Cooney? he is useless

The big concern for me is that RTÉ will attempt to imitate TV3 in their up-coming relaunch with naff features like the wide shot of the studio with all technical elements in view, or move the presenters about the place as a silly distraction as per TV3/BBC Six/BBC Newsline. RTÉ have a habit of copying the 'coolest' aspects of other broadcasters - what inevitably are the aspects it could most do without.

I think anything RTÉ do with RTÉ NEWS look would be an improvment.
    The current Set and Opening Sequences aren't up to much, RTÉ have had better on screen graphics for the News.
    The current Simple is better (alá BBC NEWS and Sky News) is in over use in RTÉ NEWS AND CURRENT AFFAIRS, i.e Prime Time looks like RTÉ News without the RTÉ NEWS DOG.

One of the best opening titles in RTÉ has to be The Week in Politics. "No long shall our children....."

I like the Channel 4 News Idea of having a News Presenter and A News Anchor in the studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

parasite wrote:
    they haven't quite got the hang of these new-fangled graphics :D
    tehcooney9db.th.jpg

Jesus, Elaine has really let herself go!! :p

:D

Agreed Elmo about the current RTÉ set - it is appalling in virtually every respect.
    But the titles are quite nice - especially the mixture of deep greens and blues and smart clean cut lines.

xx1.jpg

Saying that, little actually happens visually in the titles making them quite boring. And the digital codes flashing about the screen are more than just a little ridiculous in the context of us not even having digital television in Ireland:

xx2.jpg

I can just see one of these types of RTÉ reaction shot following TV3's 'cool' new look :)

Newsroom-press1.jpg

So what was your favourite RTÉ scheme from the 1990s?

Was it the kitten's plastic ball scheme of 1992? :)

6-logo-92.jpg6-wide-92.jpg
    www.thetvroom.com

The notorious Green Machine from 1994 perhaps?

1-titles-d-94.jpg1-long-94.jpg
    www.thetvroom.com

The sultry blue and timber 1997 look?

titles-1f.jpgmain-0.jpg
    www.thetvroom.com

Or 2000's relaunch?

titles-d.jpgsix-r.jpg
    www.thetvroom.com

Or 2000's relaunch?

titles-d.jpgsix-r.jpg
    www.thetvroom.com

i would say i prefer that one

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Well if we're doing a poll... I would say the 1997 look was the best, as regards studio and titles - the improvement from the "Green Machine" (aka the BBC Virtual Studio Wholesale Copy look. Wouldn't be the last time RTÉ wholesale copied the BBC, as RTÉ Sport's present wholesale copy of the BBC Sport generic title-style demonstrates.). The astons weren't that great, but they were also an improvement over what came before.

I know a lot of people like the 2000 look that replaced it. I'm not a fan though. Good visuals, but the music is far too downbeat and harsh for my liking.

The current RTÉ News look is okay. I like the music, although I thought it was overdramatic at first. Studio is worst since the virtual studio. The astons are boring, but well...TV3 have gone to the other exterme and proved you can go too busy.

Virtual Studio in the BBC? Which one's that?

John

How can you forget?! Boom boom boom Da da da da da da....

end-1f.jpg

Stiil love those titles :)
    It's a commom complaint amongst pres fans now that the grandeur of the BBC's national bulletins, Ten in particular is gone. The current look is textbook Ikea :(

Yes RTÉ's 1994 green machine was in direct response to that BBC scheme which was introduced in 1993.
    Here's how it was achieved (pics from designer's site )

rtenews-2.jpg

rtenews-3.jpg

Most people seem to go for the 2000 scheme as their favourite, though I agree about the titles, they were very downbeat and a bit too generic with the spinning globe.

titles-b.jpg

The studio could look fantastic for lunchtime and afternoon bulletins in particular with a glowing blue set that just lept from the screen:

daytime-a.jpg01-1-start.jpg
    ...very professional.

But for Six One and weekend two-shots the backdrop was very poor: bland and featureless, it made for a very boring shot:

weekend-six-d.jpg

And the pink colouring was thoroughly sickening after nearly four years on air - three years is the average life of a pres package.

Set-wise 1997 is probably my favourite scheme as the timber made it nice and warm and distinguished looking, and the dark atmosphere was perfect for winter evenings (though I'd still tweak a few things :))

6-wide-98.jpg

The best title sequence was probably the 1997 one too, though it did get boring eventually - nothing you can do about that.

titles-97-2.jpg

2000 looked good visually but the music let it down I think.
    The current one is good/great - 7/10 :)

Most of these images are from The TV Room (I'm not connected in any way :)) - a fantastic Presentation resource with lots of video clips too to bring the memories flooding back :)

Ah right... I thought you were talking about the current BBC News set... Hence me being confused.

John

• Advertisement

Sorry to shatter the illusion John, but the current BBC backdrop is computer generated too :)

BBC-News-Set-Empty.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sorry to shatter the illusion John, but the current BBC backdrop is computer generated too :)

BBC-News-Set-Empty.jpg
    Quite sad looking tbh.

The one thing I do love about BBC News, is the David Lowe theme. Even after 6 years, the theme sounds as fresh and contemporary as it did when the BBC got rid of the orchestrated grandeur that always accompanied the news, always associating the BBC News as being "stuffy". Don't get me wrong, I like most of the old BBC News themes, but this was such a refreshing change, that I still think its great. Also, they tinker with it every once in a while (á la News 24) so it never sounds dull.

BOOM BOOM! :D

Ah right, I was talking about the News 24 set :)

John

I always liked the Nuacht TG4, with NUACHT and the map of Ireland in the Background.
    http://thetvroom.com/p-tg4-news-2000.shtml
    http://thetvroom.com/p-tg4-news-2001.shtml

The opening mix of Trad and Newsy music is classic. IMO.

The current opening sequence isn't as good.
    http://thetvroom.com/p-tg4-news-2004-a.shtml

I also like the orginal 1996 sequence when Grainne Seoige was on TG4. http://thetvroom.com/p-tg4-news-1996.shtml

I always liked the light DOG that RTE NEWS orginally had, then the changed to have a white background with a colour RTE News LOGO.

But the worst TV NEWS opening titles goes to TV3's News @ 5:30, @7:00 and News Tonight when the descided going head to head with 6:01 News wasn't a good Idea. :(

http://thetvroom.com/p-tvthree-news-1999.shtml

With TnaG Nuacht coming a close second

http://thetvroom.com/p-tg4-news-1998.shtml

Yes the TG4 titles using the satellite-like graphics were very effective.
    The problem with most of their set schemes though is that they always look very parochial - fashioned out of sheets of flexi MDF and make use of boxy lighting units and rather childish looking painted surfaces.
    And their backlighting used to be very harsh (like TV3) - look how detached the presenter is from the background with that halo of light around her:

01-main-e.jpg

Thankfully this has been resolved as the station found its feet.
    Lump wrote:
    I've walked past the studio, in the next block. It's very much real.

Which set do you mean John - News 24 or National?

Agreed about the current BBC titles DMC - a classic theme that never fails to impress. And crucially it works perfectly with every concievable kind of story, while RTÉ's trumpets, while mostly impressive, can come across the odd time as incredibly crass and inappropriate played over sensitive closing headline images.

• Advertisement

Hmmmm That's odd, I had edited that post to say that I had been talking about the News 24 set.... and it didn't save the changes. That's Crazy!

John

Yes, the News 24 set has a live newsroom in the background, but the BBC ONE national news studio, Huw Edwards home, in the pic Telefis posted has superimposed images in the background on the grey screens behind the desk, which only exist on a hard drive.

But while that studio looks bland, when used live on news, or for HARDtalk or HARDtalk Extra time on News 24, its amazing what they can do with the lighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭three

Also I guess they are keeping the tvthree News logo even when they are getting a new looking in January.

Who said that they're gettin a new look!!!!?.

Hopefully it will be a complete revamp. Does anyone know what's happening to that Brendan Courtney chat show that was supposed to be startin in October?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Well I surpose the TV3 news exclusive this week did them no harm.

I much prefer Claire Byrne than Anne Doyle or Brian Dobson.

TV3 news does seem to have become a credbale alternative to RTE.

TV news has become pretty tabloid. More indeph news in quality newspapers.

three wrote:
    Who said that they're gettin a new look!!!!?.

Hopefully it will be a complete revamp. Does anyone know what's happening to that Brendan Courtney chat show that was supposed to be startin in October?

They are getting a new look for the new year alright, they usually change the look every 2 years and inside sources say it is changing in dec-Jan.

The new chat show is due to start at the end of this month, but there is some probs finding a location for it so it may be pushed forward to early Nov

• Advertisement

And yawn, who's guessing they'll end up in the Helix?....

Cork wrote:

I much prefer Claire Byrne than Anne Doyle or Brian Dobson.
    While I disagree on her coming so much as remotely close to Dobson, agreed that she is a highly competent newsreader. It's unfortunate to see someone as professional as her with tabloidy sh*te pouring out of their mouth - no doubt she's mortified half the time.
    She has yet to demonstrate the slightest grain of journalistic clout, but this could be as much down to the format of TV3 News as her own abilities.

Cork wrote:
    TV3 news does seem to have become a credbale alternative to RTE.

An alternative yes, but credible no. Their cheap tabloidy image is not just generated by the 'entertainment news' often highlighted, but by their whole outlook; nearly every story is imbued with a sensationalist 'big guy crushing the little guy' 'human interest' 'scandalous' 'controversial' theme.
    Likewise the average 90 second length of their reports reduces stories to little more than pieces of fluff to fill those annoying gaps between the ad breaks.

While their efficient and sharp production values and superb on-air and report production is second to none and puts the national broadcaster to shame, there is no way that TV3 affords the Irish public any real alternative in television news content.

Instead of adopting a Channel Four News-like format, offering anaylsis and an alternative insight into Irish news and current affairs, i.e. offereing a real choice for Irish viewers, they have chosen the cheap and easy option - to replicate RTÉ's output to a tee, only with a tenth of their resources.
    Great idea :rolleyes:

No actually teilifis, they wont end up in the helix. If you read any of the actual press releases or info about the new show, you would have read that is is not a studio based chat show, but a chat show which will be from a city centre Bar/ Club location( Originally it was the market bar, but due to filming constraints i think this is now changed)

Thanks for that - though the Helix was mentioned specifically because as you say it is not studio-based...

The Market Bar seems ideal on a number of levels - pity about the problems.

Advertisement