Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business loan or mortgage topup?

Options
  • 10-10-2005 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Iam in the process of setting up a small company,not looking for millions,just enought to get up and running,I was on to my Mortgage lender and they would offer me a top up on my mortgage no problem at all.Is this a good way to go?.what would be tax advantages/disadvantages of this?.Whats the best route to go?.

Also one more question,when a company is set up and started selling/trading how soon after that will it have to be registered ?,or will have to be registered before selling /trading?.Was hoping to set and try it for awhile before giving up a FT job?.

Thanks all advice is welcome...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I assume that the mortgage top up would be invested in the company as equity whereas the business loan would be taken out by the business.

Obviously from a risk perspective you'd like to get all the company's financing from debt - that way if it goes belly up you don't get hit. And the interest paid on the loan can be offset against tax. In addition the process of putting together a loan application will, in itself, make you think a lot deeper about the business.

That said no bank/sane person will lend you 100% of the money required to start the company. So you'll probably have to invest some of you own money i.e. top up mortgage money. I think you should be aiming to maximise the amount of debt relative to your own investment.

More here
    http://www.startingabusinessinireland.com/finwhere.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Topping up the morgtage is generally the easiest and cheapest way of getting the cash needed. You may be able to get a business loan from the bank but you will generally have to gaurantee it yourself.

You dont need to set up a limited company if u dont want you can have an umlimited. Then you can transfer to a limited at a later date.

DMc

Advertisement