Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working whilst abroad

Options
  • 10-10-2005 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I am a software developer in England and I have just left my full time job to take some time off to consider my future. My employer has offered to give me freelance work of a few hours a week which I would like to accept as I could do this on top of any other work.

I would like to travel and as I can do this work over the internet are there rules stopping me from doing this while abroad?

Once I get there I am planning on finding work in Australia, probably becoming a contractor. Could I continue the freelance work in the UK as well? Does anyone know if I can do this or what on earth the tax implications would be?

Would setting up a limited company help? Could I invoice my UK employer (customer) from an australian company? Doing only a few hours a week means the tax savings probably won't cover the accounting fees and set up cost of a UK company so can I continue to work under PAYE or do I need to set up a company to do this at all?

Would having a UK customer help to avoid the new Australian equivalent of IR35?

Any advice or links to relevant information would be appreciated.

Advertisement