Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet - Advice Please

• 10-10-2005 7:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Well finally getting around to carpeting the house.

Has anyone got any specific recommendations when it comes to carpet ?

e.g. type of underlay, thickness, make of carpet etc...?

Also anyone you recommend in Dun Laoghaire area?

Many Thanks

Redman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi redman

Depends on your budget... and the size of area you are trying to cover. Also you could get away with a cheper carpet if it a low use area.

I would recommend going for a high wool carpet 80% but there not cheap... also get the thickest underlay possible they may charge a few euro's extra per sq ft/mtr but well worth the extra. No point in buying a good carpet and putting cheap underelay down....

Ulster carpets are about the best but Navan carpets are not bad.

If you buy a really good carpet they should throw in the fitting free (Des Kelly did for us) and charged 1 euro per sq ft for the thick underlay.

regards

Gary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Carpet Showrooms on the main street in Dun Laoghaire did our old house - very good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

garyh3 wrote:

I would recommend going for a high wool carpet 80% but there not cheap... also get the thickest underlay possible they may charge a few euro's extra per sq ft/mtr but well worth the extra. No point in buying a good carpet and putting cheap underelay down....

I would agree with this. Wool is easier to clean than synthetic and generally feels nicer. Synthetic in theory lasts longer but it looks tatty quickly. If buying chea carpet only buy dark colours that hide the colour.

Plain carpets in general are more popular at the moment but they show up wear and stains a lot quicker. Patterns will hide minor issues.

I have bought cheap carpet in my time but have learnt to use it correctly.
    If you really must use cheap carpet in a hevey traffic area work out that you will be replacing it in 2-3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Good advice, thanks for comments so far.

was looking at the €25/sq.yd price bracket.
    also high quality underlay(price not sure what should pay), yes we are going for a plain colour without pattern.

I have seen problems with 100% wool ribbed carpets where it goes wooly and thus 80% seems better recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Is this a good deal?

I am now looking at about 96 sq.yrds of area for carpet (priced from €18 to 22.5) 90% wool
    and the high quality underlay is €9 /sq.yd.
    Supplement of Stairs €50
    Supplement for grippers €100
    €100 for bars/bits
    Being quoted for fitter at €4.5 /sq.yd

For a total of €3,375

Does this sound reasonable? The place came recommended (in Bray).

Thanks

Redman

• Advertisement
Advertisement