Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I test my broadband consistency?

• 10-10-2005 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

I've been connected with Eircoms 2mb line for about 4 months now. First 3 months never noticed any problem at all. Over last 3 weeks I've been getting disconnected for online games quite frequently (WOW disconnects occur about 8 times in a 4 hour session - BF2 I'll drop out of 1 in 3 games) and also I'm suffering periodic lag hell in FPS (BF2, COD etc)

I'm also suffering occassional timouts on web pages loading.

Now - problem is that my ping times seem fine when I ping well known websites (google, bbc etc) and my ingame pings seem fine (sub 60ms usually) so what i would like to know is this - how do I test the connections consistancy over say, a hour long period?

All I use BB for is gaming, so these 'dead' periods where i seem to have no connection are ruining the whole point in me having BB. I've seen something on these boards previously, maybe something called a traceroute or something. Is that the test I need to run?

And to prove how bad things have got? The operation timed out when I tried to submit this post!

Any help appreciated

B

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hi,

Have similar problem, my connection keeps dying and reconnecting a few seconds later.
    You can confirm your suspicions by checking the monthly detail of your download stats, it will show all your disconnections/reconnections.
    There is a known problem with the Netopia wireless router and you can update the firmware if you dare!! - they keep trying to retrain??
    I phoned technical support a month or so ago and even though I did update the firmware the problem persisted so I got a new router sent out.
    I only got it today so will monitor and see if the situation will improve.
    Another thing pointed out by the support guy - very knowledgable - was I should get new filters which I now have but am waiting to see if the new router fixes the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

slave1 wrote:
    Hi,

Have similar problem, my connection keeps dying and reconnecting a few seconds later.
    You can confirm your suspicions by checking the monthly detail of your download stats, it will show all your disconnections/reconnections.
    There is a known problem with the Netopia wireless router and you can update the firmware if you dare!! - they keep trying to retrain??
    I phoned technical support a month or so ago and even though I did update the firmware the problem persisted so I got a new router sent out.
    I only got it today so will monitor and see if the situation will improve.
    Another thing pointed out by the support guy - very knowledgable - was I should get new filters which I now have but am waiting to see if the new router fixes the problem.

What are the issues with the Netopia Router. I recently installed the Eircom 2mb line any have seen no issues. My router model is 3347WG.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

What are the issues with the Netopia Router
    As posted in the reply, my router kept trying to retrain, which basically means it kept disconnecting and reconnecting every hour or so, sometimes every couple of minutes, the disconnection was only for a few seconds so would not be an issue in the wee hours or if your were casually surfing.
    However, if I was downloading a large file from my cousin in the states then I would go back to the bottom of his queue every time I got disconnected so it did impact me.
    Also, was a pain in the arse, paying for always on and not getting it.
    The eircom bband page had a section offering to update the firmware but its gone now.
    I have got a replacement - same as your - and its a newer generation than the one that was faulty.
    If you are not noticing anything then you're okay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

By any chance are either of you in the Dublin15/ Tyrrelstown area? Everyone in the area is having these exact problems and as they are intermittant Eircom are claiming its working as intended.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I would get myself a modem/router (maybe even splashout for one with Wireless) from either Netgear or Linksys (I would stick with Netgear).
    They are quality modems and Ive never had problems with disconnections.
    Will also mean that instead of using the USB connection on those Eircom modems yea can use an ethernet connection instead.

My 2cents

• Advertisement
Advertisement