Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle Chain Ring

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

not sure they have one to match your setup. you would be better off bringing it back and getting it done, ring would only be <10 and fitting 20 or so, but at least you would be sure of getting right part.
    I reckon it is one of those parts that is so cheap and rare for someone (outside of a bikeshop) to order it would be hard to find online

otherwise:
    http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/acatalog/info_FCM340.html

is a slightly diff full crankset replacement, which is overkill but would work I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Thanks.
    Right o, might do that, Just get the rest of the stuff i need, cuz i know cycleways have something to do it.
    Must order that stuff tonight so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Bolt circle diameter for your crank is 104mm for the out and middle chain rings, 64mm for the inner. (Google the model number, first link, pdf of some sort) These are the standard diameters for any 4 bolt chainring.

This is the cheapest one they have in stock, it should be fine:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8322

Fitting the rings can be difficult some times ... actually fitting them is easy, taking them out is the hard bit. Only if they chainring bolts are seized which the might not be ... There is a tool to grip the 'nut' part, or you can fashion one from a fork (of the cutlery variety).

Having a worn front ring is a bad sign though, how is your chain and cassette doing? Really the chainrings should last through a good few cassettes and chains, though perhaps things are under engineered these days.

Rob

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

rob1891 wrote:
    Bolt circle diameter for your crank is 104mm for the out and middle chain rings, 64mm for the inner. (Google the model number, first link, pdf of some sort) These are the standard diameters for any 4 bolt chainring.

This is the cheapest one they have in stock, it should be fine:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8322

Fitting the rings can be difficult some times ... actually fitting them is easy, taking them out is the hard bit. Only if they chainring bolts are seized which the might not be ... There is a tool to grip the 'nut' part, or you can fashion one from a fork (of the cutlery variety).

Having a worn front ring is a bad sign though, how is your chain and cassette doing? Really the chainrings should last through a good few cassettes and chains, though perhaps things are under engineered these days.

Rob

surely he wants to get the same size ring? that's 32 and he is replacing a 34..

Yeah, that might make sense. Middleburn hardcoat is the only thing they have then. Difficult to justify 25 euro on an acera crankset. Anyway, anything that is 4 bolt that isn't XTR will fit.

If you have to go to a bike shop to do any of this go to the Bike Rack in Cabinteely. Cycleways/Cyclogical are too expensive. The two shops in Tallagh are ok, but the Bike Rack has been in a prefab for the last million years, so they need your business more :)

The fork should be fine if you check it has the right mount points for your current disc brakes. They are international standard (IS). See the help section on chainreaction to see what that would look like and check your suntours.

Rob

• Advertisement

I got the chain and cassette replaced before, but i only used the middle chain ring, and it wore with the chain, so it works fine with the small and large chain ring.
    I'm using v brakes, so thats not an issue so much.
    34 to 32 step i wouldn't worry about. I'll give it a go anyway.
    Cheers for the help lads.

Are you getting the 85 or 105mm forks?

105, should be putting together at the weekend.

Advertisement