Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eL comes to Kerry?

• 10-10-2005 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

I just read that apparently a team from the Kerry District League has applied for membership to the eircom League. Their home matches would be played at Mounthawk Park in Tralee. This is already owned by the KDL. It has been inspected by an eL representative who has apparently confirmed its up to standard to host first division matches. They have applied to come into the league in the 2006 season.

What do people make of this? Personally i reckon this is a great move, as Kerry has a huge soccer public, and with proper investment, could have a solid Premier Division before long. Tralee has a big population, so this could work out great. The only question is - who makes way for them? Its a tad unfair that the bottom team should find out know that they would drop out of the league altogether, with only a handful of games to play. Perhaps, "Kerry" should be admitted for the start of the 2007 season, giving all first division clubs plenty notice, that if they screw up, they are history. Id like to think Monaghan would perish. They ahve never brought anything to the eL.

That all being said, the rumour is still circulating that should Waterford get relegated, they will drop into the MSL, therefore opening up a spot in eL division 1.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Rumours are also that Kildare County are the fall boys. You didn't hear it from me though...

I agree that having a Kerry side in the eL is a good step, it gives a better demographic spread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Are Kildare close to going bust or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

There was a post on foot.ie about it, mostly hearsay and probably bs, but they are the only team I've heard speculation about (other than Waterford, but I thought that was slightly knee-jerk).

I have a mate playing for Kildare, wouldn't be too happy to see them go as I think they do actually bring something to the league. I wouldn't really shed a tear for Monaghan to be honest.

Whats Mounthawk Park like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

tralee were in the running the last time but kildare got it, the EL needs more country based teams too many dublin and leinster team in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I also think this is a great move , and I think they could have a decent fanbase too .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I think its great to hear . A league that is struggling bringing and encouraging new teams to join , its great. I also believe that they have a major fan base as well but how that will be affected with the season running side by side with the FOOTBALL calender.Great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its definately a good move for us,me being from the KDL, however, we need the backing of several business,something thats in the pipeline. if this money comes through, then it would be great. we would surely be able to attract 4 or 5 players to play semi pro and a decent manger and or coach.

the ground itself is fully floodlight and hosts our eircom U-21 team. there is a 450 seater stand, newly built, the rest of the ground is wide open. plans are afoot to build another small stand behind 1 of the goals. as regards more future development,we are kinda caught for space, another pitch runs alongside one sideline and behind the other goals, is owned by somebody else, possibly primed for housing as the area is becomng quite built up. the dressing rooms have been there for about 5 years and are top notch. car parking facilities could easily hold 500 or more cars. other facilites also exist there include a 9 a side all weather astro turf pitch, opened last year for around €120,000, 3 more pitches, 1 all weather. we dont have a big fan base however and i wouldnt expect more that 300 formost matches. wat sort of crowds do division 1 teams average?

as for the team itself, well we have no spent 4 seasons in the U-21 munster section. the first 2 seasons, we did very well, qualifying out of our division, getting beating by i think Bohs and shelbourne in the knock out stages. alot of those players have moved on to play with established clubs elsewhere. this years team finished 3rd in the league, however, it all came down to the last day, when we were beaten 2-1 by limerick city last sunday week. had we won, we would have topped the group. we have alot of young players, most of the 21 team are around 18/19 with a 3 overage players being allowed in each squad. a good few players are playing already. i presume alot of these would come back. on top this years panel, the likes of shane guthrie(on loan at kilkenny from cork city i think), steven o mahoney(former irish youths captain & limerick city), chris kerins(limerick) and a few others would add a good dimension to the team. there are a few decent players currently playing in the kdl itself, so we could do a decent job. not sure that we would be challengin for honours however for a while. by the way, where is the original article or where can it be read?

I havent actually seen the article, just someone was telling me about it, and saw a thread on foot.ie about it.

Re Attendences at 1st Division - well it varies hugely. Cobh Ramblers are getting 7-800, Limerick likewise. Then you have outfits like Monagahan, who get 100.

Id say, if you started off getting 300 per home game, that is a solid enough base to build up. Look at it this way, Dublin City aka CHF were getting no more than 150 in the premier division last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Would be excellent me thinks! More spread is good, and it would be fantastic to see a team with backing and aims to come on board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the key is getting the financial backing. if we get that, then we would have a solid base for 3 years anyway. i dont think we would survive after that on gate receipts/ general sponsorship. if the team was successful, then im sure the financial backing would stay, however, a bad first 2 years and they wont be signing contracts when it comes down to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

the key is getting the financial backing. if we get that, then we would have a solid base for 3 years anyway. i dont think we would survive after that on gate receipts/ general sponsorship. if the team was successful, then im sure the financial backing would stay, however, a bad first 2 years and they wont be signing contracts when it comes down to it.

Welcome to the situation faced by the majority of clubs in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

gimmick wrote:
    I just read that apparently a team from the Kerry District League has applied for membership to the eircom League. Their home matches would be played at Mounthawk Park in Tralee. This is already owned by the KDL. It has been inspected by an eL representative who has apparently confirmed its up to standard to host first division matches. They have applied to come into the league in the 2006 season.

What do people make of this? Personally i reckon this is a great move, as Kerry has a huge soccer public, and with proper investment, could have a solid Premier Division before long. Tralee has a big population, so this could work out great. The only question is - who makes way for them? Its a tad unfair that the bottom team should find out know that they would drop out of the league altogether, with only a handful of games to play. Perhaps, "Kerry" should be admitted for the start of the 2007 season, giving all first division clubs plenty notice, that if they screw up, they are history. Id like to think Monaghan would perish. They ahve never brought anything to the eL.

That all being said, the rumour is still circulating that should Waterford get relegated, they will drop into the MSL, therefore opening up a spot in eL division 1.
    waterford won't get relegated

Not looking that way at the moment. When I made the original post, it looked more than likely. I honestly do hope Waterford stay up.

Advertisement