Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ngggggh! I'm going for teh bell tower!!! ODTR gonna mess things up?

Options
  • 13-09-2001 3:43pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Came accross my desk just now from OPEN.#
    Just got an email from the ODTR saying:
    Just got an email from the ODTR saying:

"Thank you for your email re ADSL. For the record, the ODTR has not
    approved eircom's priicng proposals and intends to issue a statement
    shortly."

I swear I'm gonna SHOOT someone...

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Why ???

Surely the ODTR can help our situation ?

I hope they pay attention to the outcry from these boards about the high prices and the rediculous cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭infomat

Does this mean that they have not completed the process or does it mean that the submission has been rejected?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I fear that if this email respoce is valid, then we shall see another 2/3 month delay on DSL :(

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

It means they may be handing Eircom the excuse it needs to withdraw the offer.

Eircom offers stupid pricing
    ODTR doesnt agree and rejects them
    Eircom "has" to pull offer and points at ODTR as the bad guy.
    Ireland continues without broadband as before...

DeV.

I think you may be right.

But ... if Eircom won't listen to use ... they will at least have to pay attention to the ODTR.

Someone has to deal with these crazy prices and the cap.

• Advertisement

if eircom decide to pull out of the adsl campaign, does this mean that Esat and COLT cannot offer it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

DeVore i welcome the odtr decision, this isnt broadband man,
    the QoS on the Trials were just crap according to some people
    the prices they charge mean its cheap to actually donload on a single channel isdn line then a adsl home line.

let not pretend that i stream was anything we will miss, the majority of epople whouldnt have touched it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Hmm, difficult one. I'd welcome a 2-3 month delay on adsl if it will force Eircom into a more realistic (ie: a LOT lower) pricing structure. Rather than just suckering in a load of people with their current proposals.

"the QoS on the Trials were just crap according to some people"

I dont know about that, seems pretty fast to me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

a but some reported speed at peak times of worse then 28k modems

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Originally posted by Gladiator
    a but some reported speed at peak times of worse then 28k modems

I was on the trial and am going on to pay 140 a month for 1 meg down 256 up with no limit.

The worse i saw was 50k down and 10 k up.

• Advertisement

50 down and 10 up.... holy $hit, Whats that about ???????? If i had dsl i would expect it to be around 128kbps at worst...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by PHB

I was on the trial and am going on to pay 140 a month for 1 meg down 256 up with no limit.

The worse i saw was 50k down and 10 k up.

Were those speeds using the 512/128 option or the one you are opting for, PHB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

he means 50kilo bytes a second not bits. thats about right for 512 kilo bits connection, a lil below what it could be.

Originally posted by infomat
    Does this mean that they have not completed the process or does it mean that the submission has been rejected?

Got the answer to this at http://www.odtr.ie

Basically the Regulator appears to be a bit annoyed with Eircom and she has rejected their proposed price.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

It's the relationship between the wholesale price and eircom's price that's the problem.....

This means that eircom have to lower their wholesale price to allow Esat to compete, or, raise their product price for the same reason?. Have i read that correctly?

If i have misinterpreted that, i certainly wouldnt mind a 2/3 month delay, if it means that Eircom will be FORCED to set reasonable prices (it is clear that they will not do this on their on accord).

Originally posted by kamobe
    It's the relationship between the wholesale price and eircom's price that's the problem.....

This means that eircom have to lower their wholesale price to allow Esat to compete, or, raise their product price for the same reason?. Have i read that correctly?

If i have misinterpreted that, i certainly wouldnt mind a 2/3 month delay, if it means that Eircom will be FORCED to set reasonable prices (it is clear that they will not do this on their on accord).

I have tried to work out what this ruling means to us. As her concern is the relationship between wholesale and retail pricing proposed by Eircom I fear that Eircom could respond by increasing the Retail price leaving the Wholesale price as is but as the Wholesale pricing structure must be related to actual costs this may be not be an option.

I believe that Eircom may have no option but to reduce Wholesale but I fear that the current retail prices will remain as already published.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

What is the suggested wholesale pricing? I can't remember.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I also would not mind a 2 or 3 month delay.

The prices eircom have announced are nothing short of "mega-bad".

;\

Originally posted by dahamsta
    What is the suggested wholesale pricing? I can't remember.

adam

75 Euro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by infomat

75 Euro

Is that for the base-level product, or is the wholesale product not tiered? Whether or which, that's a disgrace. Etain Doyle couldn't possibly accept that in light of the pricing around Europe and the rest of the world.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Is that for the base-level product, or is the wholesale product not tiered?
    From the way I understand it, I could be totally wrong, but the 75 Euros is for getting access to the last mile of copper wire, between your house and your local exchange. From the local exchange Esat or any OLO can then connect that to their ISP. So they can run as much info along that last mile of copper wire, without having to pay Eircom anything extra. The only other expense would be paying for the international bandwidth you are using from their ISP, which is very, vey cheap.

I'd be hoping even at that price of 75 Euros, Esat may be able to offer an uncapped service for around 100-120 EUROs a month (with reasonable set up costs), then I would definitely sign up. If anyone can offer a completely uncapped service, at a reasonable cost, I am sold :)

I would agree. The cap is my biggest issue. No cap, and I could stretch paying the 100eur

Advertisement