Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-grown rabbit teeth

Options
  • 11-10-2005 2:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

I've noticed that one of my rabbit's bottom teeth seems to be over-growing. I've found this is supposedly a common problem, never happened before as she used to eat the corners of the walls! :rolleyes:

I was wondering if anyone has had to get their rabbits teeth clipped and is it very stressful for the rabbit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I haven't experienced having to have a rabbits teeth sorted as yet but with guinea pigs despite what vets say it is safer to use without anesthetic and they burr the teeth down with a drill rather than clipping. Just to confirm exactly how they do it I'll ask one of the more experienced UK rescues and see what they say. If anesthetics can be avoided for smallies it's best. Its a commen problem so should be easily sorted. Lots of hay and rabbit chews will also help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Dilly

I haven't experienced the problem myself (mainly because my bun also finds the corners to be particularly tasty and NOTHING will convince him that woods, wicker, anything else, is preferable) but I'd be interested in hearing how you checked (unless you've a very calm bun who doesn't mind ytou poking around in her mouth!) and what the procedure for getting them sorted out is like or if you find any other helpful bits of info..

Thanks!

The one chew mine love are apple branches, every bun that's been here loves them. In general though they usually don't need chews as long as they have good quality hay, the hay itself helps keep their teeth trim but sometimes the problem is through genetics.
    Will post the reply as soon as I get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Wood from apple trees is very good, my little fella loves it.

Just as well, he goes nuts when I go anywhere near his mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Shewhomustbe...

Well I don't like the sound of the drill thing at all :eek: and I don't think Bubbs would like that choice either!

Dilly, I never said they like it!! :D
    However Bubbs is very small and has tiny back legs so isn't the same challenge as T.(see pic)
    I learnt that, if you can, the best way is to lie them flat on their back while on your lap and support their heads between your knees. I know it sounds weird but it's the only way I can clip her nails. My other lady (who passed away) loved it because I had her from 3mths and she was so relaxed she used to fall asleep while I was doing it!
    With T who will under no circumstances let me do that I litterally have to put my face on the floor pull up his gums and hope for the best.

The problem with Bubbs is she has never eaten and will not eat hay, to make sure she's getting the right amount of fibre I have to feed her bran flakes.
    I'm going to try and get my hands some apple branches and see if she'll give them a go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

Nala wrote:
    Wood from apple trees is very good, my little fella loves it.

Just as well, he goes nuts when I go anywhere near his mouth!

i use that for my hamsters and they really like it too

Our hammies, gerbils, pigs, rabbits and birds actually one of the dogs nicks them sometimes ..all love apple branches so I planted some more apple trees a couple of years ago, although they are looking a bit neglected at the mo..the trees not the critters lol.

Still waiting back on the info. for bunnys.

I do have some info, mainly demo pics from CCT for anyone wanting to know more on guinea pig teeth care.

In the mean time if you live in the Dub area shewmb. Bairbre O'Malley Bray would be the one I would use for any bunny teeth problems

In the mean time if you live in the Dub area shewmb. Bairbre O'Malley Bray would be the one I would use for any bunny teeth problems

Sadly no, I live in Longford.
    I started growing apples trees from seeds this year but I think it'll be a while before I can use their branches :D
    In the meantime I think I'll buy a mature tree.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

You can take the rabbit to the vet to have the teeth cut down. It's basically a little like using a pliers but it's harmless for the rabbit - all they have to do is hold the rabbit down in the relaxed position described above. We had done for our bunny years ago when her teeth were making it uncomfortable to eat and when she refused to gnaw at the toy we bought her.

Where does everybody get their apple stick chews? The only place that I can find them are online shops (not based in Ireland) and I'm having a lot of trouble getting bunny products from them as it is so if anyone knows of petshops in the Dublin area that sell them I'd appreciate it if you could pass on the info!

As for putting my bun on his back to check his teeth and nails - I tried that once and he didn't speak to me for two days. I guess I'll just stick with getting the vet to check - that way all the fury is reserved for them :D

• Advertisement

Here is some reading to be getting on with until I get more up to date info.
    http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/dental_disease.htm

I know guinea pig teeth should be burred not clipped even though vets are still clipping, could be the same for rabbits.

Would you recommend Bairbre as a knowledgeable and competent rabbit vet because I'm getting really tired of vets doing a half-ar*ed job when I bring my bunnies to them and I'd be more than willing to travel to Bray if she's good at her job.

It is totally worth the trip to Bray if you can make it there, she's very competent and not an ounce of fear in her even when faced with my evil budgie lol. She handles exotics mainly and is well used to bunnies. Highly recommend her, you won't be dissapointed, eventhough she was busy she gives each client the time and you don't feel rushed. 01 272 3857 is the number the surgery is at the top of Bray in a cul de sac opposite Macdonalds.

Thanks very much Guineapigrescue.
    Hope she pays you well for the advertising :D:D

The small animal vet from our local surgery left and I just don't feel as confident with the replacement. I remember seeing Bairbre on Nationwide once dealing with a lop rabbit who had problems with his back legs. She did a wonderful job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

It is totally worth the trip to Bray if you can make it there,... Highly recommend her, you won't be dissapointed, eventhough she was busy she gives each client the time and you don't feel rushed. 01 272 3857 is the number the surgery is at the top of Bray in a cul de sac opposite Macdonalds.

Yep, Bairbre looked after our 3 rabbits over a few years - always went to Bray to keep our buns in good health.

Sadly I will not be availing of her services as all my bunnies passed away and for the foreseeable future I will not be adopting any more.

I'm so sorry to hear that Shewhomustbe...

It's always so sad to lose a friend. I hope you're OK :(

Thank you Dilly
    Without sounding like a complete whiner losing Blondie came as quite a shock but losing Bubbs & T at the same time was in all honesty, numbing.

I just can't believe you lost them all at the same time, that's just too awful. What happened??

I really hope that the new year is better for you :(

Sorry to hear about your rabbits :-( it could of been anything mabey a virus or something.

• Advertisement

Thanks Dilly and Guineapigrescue.
    We lost Blondie over the summer. I found her sitting under a radiator after having urinated on herself, we brought her to the vet who said she probably got a fright (didn't agree with this) she never perked up and passed away about six hours later.
    I found Bubbs and T passed away one morning a couple of months ago, there had been no warning. Due to the both of them passing so suddenly we decided to have a post mortem done on T (as he was stronger than Bubbs)

Still have to get the Histopathology report but the initial results were they died from Septicaemia. There was Moraxella in the liver and E. Coli in the intestine, both of which are naturally occuring bacteria but the Moraxella shouldn't have been in his liver. We think it was our water as nothing new had been introduced to their diet or envirnment and we now can't drink or use or water due to the high E. Coli content.

My advice, enjoy every day with your buns as you never know when you're not going to be wondering just how they managed to get to the TV power wire you'd encased in steel.

Advertisement