Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets and apartments

Options
  • 11-10-2005 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

I just want to check are pets allowed in appartments here?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

depends on the owner of the apartment afaik
    Never heard of a law about such a thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I just want to check are pets allowed in appartments here?

Thats up to the landlord isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I meant if you owned the appartment. There are normally some resident charters about use. If there aren't been done now that is fair enough.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ask the management company,most places do allow them though

Moonbeam wrote:
    Ask the management company,most places do allow them though

It is just a question of curiosity. THe appartment I take care of does not allow certain pets and has been like that since the 80s as per the standard agreements of the time. I am just curious if they have differnt terms now. I would guess it is not allowed and people just don't know. Is everybody possitive it is allowed. I am mostly talking dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

each apartment complex has a different set of rules or guidelines as set down by the Management Company......my friend lives in an apartment complex in Santry and they are allowed no pets doesn't differ between pets. She feeds a few feral cats that are around the place and 2 come into her apartment....she rents...the girl 2 apartments down bought her apartment and she has 2 cats.....there is an on going discussions with the management company about the cats.

My brother has an apartment in Navan that he rents and they are allowed pets of any kind, so different complexs have different rules

Irish-Lass wrote:
    My brother has an apartment in Navan that he rents and they are allowed pets of any kind, so different complexs have different rules
    I get there are differences but I am just wondering as a general rule. Management companies tend to use cookie cut rules. I am guessing that as you get closer to the city practicly most would not allow pets.
    I would no longer allow tenants have pets after damge allowed by owner. I like pets but it is very different when your dog does damage to something you own compared to something you rent. Carpet is the worst due to muddy paws.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most leases that I've seen prohibit pets in apartments, although I'm not sure if they would enforce it against goldfish (the might against larger tropical aquariums).

Victor wrote:
    Most leases that I've seen prohibit pets in apartments, although I'm not sure if they would enforce it against goldfish (the might against larger tropical aquariums).

Do you mean on the appartment lease to the property owner or to somebody being rented to?

My experience has been landlord tenant, not owner occupier. However, I suspect each development will have a specific policy and that is what drives individual landlords. People don't want dogs barking at night, cats prowling / fraternising, fish tanks leaking on long weekends or boa constrictors navigating the plumbing.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote:
    My experience has been landlord tenant, not owner occupier. However, I suspect each development will have a specific policy and that is what drives individual landlords. People don't want dogs barking at night, cats prowling / fraternising, fish tanks leaking on long weekends or boa constrictors navigating the plumbing.

I get it is at an individual basis but would I be right to say in general you are not allowed have pets in an appartment due to management charters or similar? ( I thought you said you owned your appartment?)
    I am just wondering how Dubln can develop a more cosmopolitian lifestyle if we are not allowing what is standard elsewhere. In the likes of France, Spain, USA etc... people living in appartments have pets and you see people with dogs all over the place. Try to bring your dog anywhere in this country is pretty difficult and generally frowned upon.

I get it is at an individual basis but would I be right to say in general you are not allowed have pets in an appartment due to management charters or similar? ( I thought you said you owned your appartment?)
    Yes, I imagine its in the management charter / leasehold (many appartment purchases are leasehold, not freehold) documentation, etc. Terms and conditions apply.
    Try to bring your dog anywhere in this country is pretty difficult and generally frowned upon.
    Much as the poodle lovers can be obnoxious, there is a distinct problem in this country with people refusing to be responsible for their lives and in this case animals.

Advertisement