Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Sql jdbc problem

Options
  • 11-10-2005 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭

Im having a problem trying to write some code in java to manipulate a mysql database,basically im taking an int and string field out of one table and trying to insert the int field without modifying it along with a substring of the original string into consecutive rows in another table.By the way theres about 75000 rows so im going to be executing statement.executeUpdate(update) 75000 times.

Heres the code anyway it works inserting the first set of int and substring but then throws an exception and stops.

I make a query on the table messagere and put the result into a resultset,its this resultset i work with to get the int and substring i need for my new table.

s.executeUpdate("CREATE TABLE MESSAGEREREMOVED (mid int(10),subject text)");

rs=s.executeQuery("select * from MESSAGERE");

while(rs.next())
    {
    int mid=rs.getInt(1);
    String normal=rs.getString(2);
    String substring=normal.substring(4,normal.length());
    String s3="insert into MESSAGEREREMOVED values ("+mid+",\'"+substring+"\')";
    s.executeUpdate(s3);
    }

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What's the text of the exception that you catch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bazcaz

i just did printStackTrace() and its just a load of numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oh aye, it'll do that.

What you need to do is catch the thrown exception, then print it to the screen.

The executeUpdate() method throws and SQLException, so you need to enclose it in a try..catch block, i.e.
    try {
    	s.executeUpdate(s3);
    } catch(Exception e) {
    	System.out.print(e.getMessage())
    }

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

bazcaz wrote:
    s.executeUpdate("CREATE TABLE MESSAGEREREMOVED (mid int(10),subject text)");

rs=s.executeQuery("select * from MESSAGERE");

while(rs.next())
    {
    int mid=rs.getInt(1);
    String normal=rs.getString(2);
    String substring=normal.substring(4,normal.length());
    String s3="insert into MESSAGEREREMOVED values ("+mid+",\'"+substring+"\')";
    s.executeUpdate(s3);
    }

you are using the same statement to do all the sql this will cause you problems also you should use a prepared statement
            Statement st;
            ResultSet rs;
            PreparedStatement pps;
            String txt = "insert into MESSAGEREREMOVED values(?,?);";
            try{            
                st = con.createStatement();
                rs = st.executeQuery("select * from MESSAGERE");
                pps = con.prepareStatement(txt);
                while(rs.next()){
                    pps.setInt(1,rs.getInt(1));
                    String tmp = rs.getString(2);
                    pps.setString(2,tmp.substring(4,tmp.length()));
                    pps.executeUpdate();
                }
                rs.close();
                st.close();
                pps.close();
            }
            catch(Exception e){
                System.out.println(e);
            }

It prints out "Operation not allowed after ResultSet closed" but that doesnt make any sense because it should stay inside the while loop because rs.next() should be true 75000 odd times but its only executing the insert statement once then throwing the Exception.

• Advertisement

ya i tried prepared statements didnt make any difference i think the problem is with the resultset to be honest it prints out in the exception that the resultset is closed for some reason??

bazcaz wrote:
    ya i tried prepared statements didnt make any difference i think the problem is with the resultset to be honest it prints out in the exception that the resultset is closed for some reason??

that code i posted works so

post the full code formatted that is causing you the problem

also prepared statements make a huge difference compared to normal statements especially when performing the same task many times.

Madramor,

If i put in your code i get the first two lines inserted into the table and then it throws the exception string index out of range :-1

bazcaz wrote:
    Madramor,

If i put in your code i get the first two lines inserted into the table and then it throws the exception string index out of range :-1

try
    String tmp = rs.getString(2);
    // put code in here to make sure string is correct length
    if(tmp.length() < 4)
         pps.setString(2,tmp);
    else
         pps.setString(2,tmp.substring(4,tmp.length()));

Ya i reckon thats it alrite seems to be running now.

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement