Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets at Halloween

Options
  • 11-10-2005 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

I know that Halloween is a particularly scary time of year for pets, and have heard all the warnings about keeping them inside etc. Last night I heard the first firework in our area going off, and our puppy literally went insane, barking, running around the room etc. It took us ages to calm him down. Now this was when we were inside sitting beside him and with the tv on. It was a bit upsetting to see how frightened he was. Does anyone have any tips on what to do at this time of year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

have you tried rescue remedy on the pup......our dog doesn't like the fireworks she normally pins her ears back and goes low to the ground but no barking etc.....we are just going to keep her indoor all of Halloween and leave the radio on in the kitchen, telly on in the sitting room and radio on in our bedroom....ours cats don't like them much either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Dog Training Ireland just had a seminar (at least I think it's over now) about coping with dogs and fireworks mabey if you booked an appointment with them they could give you some helpful tips. Been to a talk before and the talks are very informative.
    Here's the link > http://www.dogtrainingireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

http://www.petvetcare.co.uk/acatalog/D_A_P___Feliway.html

this is a product called Feliway I use the feline version for my cats but you can also get DAP which is very dogs and it helps them when they are stressful.....I have ordered from this company in england and you normally get the product 3/4 working days later, order now and you would have them in time for Halloween....hope you manage to get something to help your dog

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

With a young pup you might actually want to try and train it it get used to fireworks ...after all there is a life full of fireworks still to come.

The key issues are:
    do not increase the stress by acting all upset yourself
    do not affirm the pups fear by "consoling" it endlessly
    make fireworks out to be "normal" ...nothing to be afraid of

So, at the usual time of the day when these eejits start letting off bangers, get your puppy into a one -to- one play or training session. Something that he really enjoys doing. Keep concentrating on play/training ...ignore the bangers completely ...ignore any behaviour unrelated to play/training ...make a real fuss over "normal" behaviour ...in other words, just let the bangers blend into the background.

This will take some time and a bit of luck with timing as well. You really want to be in the middle of exciting play when the first banger goes off, to get the best effect.

But now is the best time to try it.

Most important thing is though, that you yourself don't show any sort of fear, recognition, acknowledgement towards the bangs whatsoever ...just act as if they never happened. (don't give out either)
    This calmness should eventually transfer to the pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I'd have to go with Peasant's advice. I don't like the idea of drugging animals. My dog is 13 years old, and still afraid around this time of the year but can cope with it now (Still has to be indoors on Halloween night). You might have noticed that the pup/pet will look at / for you a lot when the noises are heard: provided you're OK with the noise, they learn to cope. just make it sit/lie next to you as you watch T.V. or something mundane.

• Advertisement
Advertisement