Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding a 2 year old Boxer

Options
  • 11-10-2005 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I got a 2 year old boxer yesterday. Just wondering, how many times a day should he be fed? I fed him last night, and again this morning. I was going to take him for a walk later on and feed him again this evening. Is this too much? I gave him a half full washing up basin with mixer, dog food and hot water.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

As far as I know it's best to feed larger breeds twice a day rather than one big meal so twice a day should be enough. Not sure if Royal Canine to a boxer feed, they do a lot of diff ones for diff breeds. It will usually say on the bag how much to feed an adult.

Here's a link, I'm not sure if they stock in in Ireland but any shop buying in Royal Canine might be able to get it for you.
    http://www.caninehealthnutrition.com/boxer.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Feeding twice a day is fine.
    As for the amount, allmost all dogfoods give some indication about what quantity to feed what size dog and those usually are on the genereous side.

Another thing to watch out for is the behaviour of your dog. Some dogs act like hoovers and eat until they burst, others stop when they've had enough. So watch out for that and don't overfeed a "hoover" just because he keeps on eating.

I wouldn't see any neccessity to buy breed specific food ...that's just a marketing ploy. Just make sure it's good quality with no additives and a large percentage of real meat (opposed to meat derivatives).

I would recommend staying away from "pedigree" brand ...makes dogs really farty and smelly.

A good way of judging the quality of a dog food is to keep an eye on the "output" ..the less quantity and offensive smell you get there, the better the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

I'm on my third Boxer and only ever gave them one main meal a day (evening) with maybe a Weetabix and some milk in the morning.
    peasant wrote:
    I would recommend staying away from "pedigree" brand ...makes dogs really farty and smelly.
    Don't all dogs fart..!!

Enjoy your Boxer, they have a brain the size of a pea.... but they are great fun, company, watchdog and love children. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Half a washing up bowl full of food twice a day?

Hmmmm, I guess he saw you coming there? :D

Because, unless you have very small washing up bowls, that seems a LOT of food to me.

Maybe dl will pop back and explain, in real terms, just how much food he gives his boxer every day? But my uneducated (I have Yorkies) guess would be that half a washing up bowl every day (whether as one, or split into two, meals) would be generous...

But DEFINATELY don't fall into the expensive "breed specific feed" trap, there's no need...and at least one meal a day of dry complete food with keep his teeth in great shape...

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

aare wrote:
    Maybe dl will pop back and explain, in real terms, just how much food he gives his boxer every day? But my uneducated (I have Yorkies) guess would be that half a washing up bowl every day (whether as one, or split into two, meals) would be generous...

3 mug fulls of dog nuts along with whatever vegetables etc left over from the dinner table...

Most Boxers are very active so provide him/her with a good protein feed... your vet or pet store will advise

• Advertisement
Advertisement