Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geothermal Heating / heat pumps questions

Options
  • 11-10-2005 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

First of all - some of these questions may have already been answered but without the search facility I cannot find anything (note to admin - please bring back the search function!!!)

I am currently looking into putting in a heat pump into my house that I am about to build. Installing a geothermal heating system definately looks like a good option but its merits are discussed elsewhere.

My questions are about the actual piping that you have to lay under the soil to get the heat.

1. Can you ever plant anything over the pipes other than grass and small shrubs? Ie If you put the pipes under the lawn does this stop you from ever planting a tree in the middle etc??? If so where else can you put the pipes??

2. Someone mentioned that if your heat requirements are excessive or more than expected (perhaps a very cold winter) you can create a cold block in the soil over the piping. Is this true?? Will it ruin the lawn and plants and leave a dusty lawn in the summer??

3. What happens if the piping gets damaged? Can they become damaged from tree roots in future years etc? Are they difficult to replace or do you have to replace them in xx years time?

I know I am asking a lot but I would really appreciate if anyone had some answers.

Thanks a million,

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

any ideas anyone.....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Go to google and paste in the following:

geothermal site:www.boards.ie

If you have more questions come back to us. Gluck

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

thanks yop!

Advertisement