Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Reinstalling XP home from hidden partition?

• 11-10-2005 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

A friend of mine has XP home on her computer.she's had it for 2 or 3 years now and never reinstalled.Its really sluggish and badly in need of a reinstall.The computer didn't come with an xp home disk so i assume its got it on one of those hidden partitions. Could anyone explain to me or give a link to somewhere that would explain, how to do a full reinstall using one of these hidden partition things???Thanks
    Wavin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

it should have a restore cd?? what manufacturer??
    what options to it give you on start up? like press F2 fro setup etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wavin

calex71 wrote:
    it should have a restore cd?? what manufacturer??
    what options to it give you on start up? like press F2 fro setup etc

its a HP computer.not sure of model.think ~1.5ghz celron, 256mb ram.
    dont think it came with a restore CD.could youi use any restore CD to reinstall? think there might be one knockin around work. Will try doing that F2 thing the next time im at it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

use spacemonger to see if there any CD sized files in a sub folder and run the app there

use disk manager to see if there is a hidden partition on the drive. You can use a linux boot CD to see it , but probably won't be able to copy the files from it since C: is probably NTFS

If you have an old dos disk
    Not sure if NTFS DOS will see hidden NTFS partitions but FDISK may

If you can't find a hidden partition or large files then it's not looking good - I tke it you have gone down the spyware removal path too.

use spacemonger to see if there any CD sized files in a sub folder and run the app there

use disk manager to see if there is a hidden partition on the drive. You can use a linux boot CD to see it , but probably won't be able to copy the files from it since C: is probably NTFS

If you can't find a hidden partition or large files then it's not looking good - I tke it you have gone down the spyware removal path too.

ya did a load of spyware/virus checking a while back.cleared all, or all i could find off but the computer was still really slow.i put on sp2 but also no improvment.if i stuck partition magic on it i should be able to see it if its there?
    if it is would i have to make a disk(s) image of the folder or would i just have to stick it onto a disk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Two ways manufacturers do restore method.

1 is to use a Restore CD, 2 is to have an image stored in a partition on the HD. To run this image you normally press F11 on startup. Try that and see if it works.

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote:
    Two ways manufacturers do restore method.

1 is to use a Restore CD, 2 is to have an image stored in a partition on the HD. To run this image you normally press F11 on startup. Try that and see if it works.
    cheers, will try these suggestions later

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

On sony it's tapping F10 on boot. Don't know what it is on HP's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

When the PC boots it will display a message briefly suggesting what button needs to be pressed.

If the image for the PC is stored in a hidden partition, then you should get some options when you boot into that partition, these will be similar to
    1. Restore this PC to factory settings.
    2. Create a set of restore CDs.

If the image is not there, you are stuck and need to get a restore CD, or alternatively install from different media using the serial number on the sticker which should be on the PC case. If you do this, you'll most likely need to get the specific drivers for graphics, audio and network etc for your make/model from the HP site.

Cheerio
    Howard

right, tried this stuff over the weekend (its a friends computer)
    on booting up it gives 2 options.one for going into a CMOS thing and one that goes to a boot option thing-floppy, cd drive or hard drive.
    tried all the other F buttons too and no joy.
    checked in disk managment and there is a hidden partition on the hard drive. it was 1.95gb i think.would that sound like the right size for an xp home installation?
    is there any software i could use to make installation cd's from this?
    cheers

• Advertisement

the hidden partition was actually FAT32 and not NTFS.

think ihave a win98 boot disk at home.
    if i booted to c:/ could i run a reinstallation from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

hshortt wrote:
    When the PC boots it will display a message briefly suggesting what button needs to be pressed.

If the image for the PC is stored in a hidden partition, then you should get some options when you boot into that partition, these will be similar to
    1. Restore this PC to factory settings.
    2. Create a set of restore CDs.

If the image is not there, you are stuck and need to get a restore CD, or alternatively install from different media using the serial number on the sticker which should be on the PC case. If you do this, you'll most likely need to get the specific drivers for graphics, audio and network etc for your make/model from the HP site.

Cheerio
    Howard

Nice to see Howard on boards ;)

Anyway

There may be an option in CMOS to set the partition as active i think it should say "Restore computer to factory settings" or something like that

Michael

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

OK it's a HP so the options won't work on other brands ...

On Targa laptops I've used a Knoppix boot disk (linux bootable CD) to copy files from the hidden partition. (unhiding it by messing with the partition table is for heros and masochists and people with a copy of the table on a floppy/usb and the cylinders, heads and sectors in a text there too.. )

Anyway - found this

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=803015
    If it's an XP, on restart, once you see the HP Logo press F10 which will bring up the Recovery Window. Follow the prompts. It takes about 30 minutes.
    If a recovery set has already been created on that unit, you may not be able to create another one. :eek: :mad:

You should find the program located here:

Start>All Programs>PC Help & Tools
    Click on HP PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator

OK it's a HP so the options won't work on other brands ...

On Targa laptops I've used a Knoppix boot disk (linux bootable CD) to copy files from the hidden partition. (unhiding it by messing with the partition table is for heros and masochists and people with a copy of the table on a floppy/usb and the cylinders, heads and sectors in a text there too.. )

Anyway - found this

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=803015
    cheers Blitz and Capt'n Midnight,
    Will try these things the next time im over in my mates gaff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

wavin wrote:
    cheers Blitz and Capt'n Midnight,
    Will try these things the next time im over in my mates gaff
    no worrys mate, let us know how you get on; i know the newer hps like the dc7100's and dc7600's there is a menu in bios that sets up windows again if you dont have the disk.

Advertisement