Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-marathon long run

• 11-10-2005 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭

Hey folks, I shall be running the Dublin marathon this year for charity and have been looking forward to doing so all year. It shall also be my first marathon, and hopefully not my last.

I have been following my training regime (based primarily on the one listed at the marathon 2005 homepage) for the build up. Unfortunately, I had to cut short one of my weekend long runs (arguably the longest one - 16-18 miles recommended) due to unforseen commitments I could not extract myself from. The good news is that I had previously completed a half-marathon the previous week without too much difficulty - I could have kept going and felt pretty strong in my stride.

I am curious as to whether anyone here has missed such a session and how they dealt with the marathon itself? Has anyone ever went into a marathon feeling undertrained?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Sonderval wrote:
    Hey folks, I shall be running the Dublin marathon this year for charity and have been looking forward to doing so all year. It shall also be my first marathon, and hopefully not my last.

I have been following my training regime (based primarily on the one listed at the marathon 2005 homepage) for the build up. Unfortunately, I had to cut short one of my weekend long runs (arguably the longest one - 16-18 miles recommended) due to unforseen commitments I could not extract myself from. The good news is that I had previously completed a half-marathon the previous week without too much difficulty - I could have kept going and felt pretty strong in my stride.

I am curious as to whether anyone here has missed such a session and how they dealt with the marathon itself? Has anyone ever went into a marathon feeling undertrained?

In my experience, admittedly only at middle-distance, missing one session was not a major thing, it is when it becomes habit. I'm not too sure over marathon distance though

Oh, and good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Missing one long run like this will not have much of a bearing on things, provided you have a good training base behind you.

There is no reason you have to do your long run at the weekend. Dont be afraid to change the schedule around to suit yourself. The long run is vital for marathon training. In my opinion its worth scrapping any other session in the week for.
    Has anyone ever went into a marathon feeling undertrained?
    You are joking right ???

The vast majority of people going into a marathon feel undertrained. Its natural. It can be hard to judge how ready you are. If you really want to know how perpaired you are post up your long runs/miles per week/goals etc and the folks here will give you a good indication of where you stand.

Advertisement