Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seminar audio files going up on the site soon

Options
  • 13-09-2001 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

The files from Martin arrived in Dublin today, and I have encoded them, as per usual, into mp3 files at 2 bitrates - 16Kbps and 8Kbps. I have also created a RealMedia audio file of the Q&A session, although whether I'll end up using it is another matter as it's quite big.

I'm left with 28Mb of mp3's and 25Mb of RealMedia. The RealMedia is streamable, and I'm told the mp3's are also (although HOW to stream mp3's I've yet to learn...).

As soon as I sort out file space to store these files in on-line, I'll have them up and available for download in the "Downloads" section of the web site. Keep in mind that in doing these uploads, I am using a 56Kbps modem on a fairly screwy connection so it obviously won't be particularly soon... (probably will be finished late tonight/early tomorrow morning.--- will post here when it's all up).

The files contain the entire audio of the seminar - which encompasses speeches from all the major players followed by a Questions and Answers session - all in all - over 3 hours of audio.

This will also be made available as an Audio CD and CD-ROM for those who want it.

More updates to follow this evening...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

25+28=53Mb

I don't have that kind of space available on the scaryeire.com server, so am going to have to find "alternative accommodation" for these audio files. I wonder if the web space you get with an IOLFree account is unlimited...

The mp3 files are definitely going up... the RealMedia file *might* depending on my mood... and how much space/time I have free...

By the way, lest I forget- our most humble thanks to Ronan Harran, Spin Studio, Castlefinn, Co. Donegal - for doing the sound recording. You da man, Ronan! :) Wheyyy... (etc.)

...Anyone care to tell me how I can stream mp3's from the site and save me a 25Mb upload? ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

you could use http://www.brinkster.com

their "free accounts" have 30mb of space and no limit on individual file size.

...fiddled about with the wav file for the Q&A session and compressed it heavily, reducing volume and decreasing the bitrate (to 8Kbps) before re-encoding it as RealMedia. Managed to scrunch it down a lot more ... was 25.5Mb - is now 8.65Mb (very slightly bigger than the equivalent 16Kbps mp3 file).

Although mp3 will be made available first, I reckon I'll go with the streaming RealAudio as well, just to give you all the option :)

Still- if anyone would like to tell me how to stream mp3's, I'd appreciate it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭NeilF

I thought it streamed automatically so long as you could download quicker than you listened to it, and perhaps you can. However, being the curious kind I did a quick search on Google and found this (How Do I Stream My Own MP3 Files Over the Web?) on CNET.

From what I can see you need to be using WinAmp and install some software on your server. I'd say chop the file in two and you can listen to the first part while the second downloads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yeah, Winamp really whips the Llama's ass. :)

Bard, if you're still stuck for space, send me a password by email and I'll set you up on hanktree, our UK server.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Brillo!!

Bring on the Q & A session (heeheheheee)

AFAIK there is a way to stream Mp3's but I think its dependant on your server??
    But I mean how else do other P2P clients listen as they download like w/ Kazaa & our once beloved Napster:confused:

NEWay, I have my headphones polished & ready (seriously!)

Originally posted by dahamsta

Bard, if you're still stuck for space, send me a password by email and I'll set you up on hanktree, our UK server.

adam

Offer appreciated... email sent.

Cheers,

OK... the first wave of updates is DONE.

--

Downloads page updated as follows:
    • 8Kbps MP3 files added for all seminar speeches.

The following has yet to come:
    • 16Kbps MP3 files for all speeches.
    • 8Kbps and 16Kbps MP3 file of Questions & Answers session (LARGE!).
    • Streaming RealAudio file of Questions & Answers session.

--

remaining files will have to wait until I get more space.

Thanks Adam (dahamsta) for giving me web space to host the media files on.

I've added the Q&A Session audio (all 1 hour, 12 minutes and 11 seconds of it!) in streaming RealAudio format to the Downloads page.

That means that the entire seminar is now available. The remaining files are just higher quality MP3 versions of what is there and they will be uploaded some time tomorrow.

• Advertisement

added: all 16Kbps MP3 files for speeches

still to come: 8Kbps & 16kBPS MP3 files for Q&A session

Q&A session available as RealAudio stream (here).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Bard

(although HOW to stream mp3's I've yet to learn...).

The handiest way to do that (I think) is to make a playlist (.m3u) in Winamp or whatever you use to play and edit the path using Notepad so it points to the location of the mp3 file.

Originally posted by sceptre

The handiest way to do that (I think) is to make a playlist (.m3u) in Winamp or whatever you use to play and edit the path using Notepad so it points to the location of the mp3 file.

Thanks for that, sceptre...

That means making an .m3u file that's essentially the same as a .ram file then - a meta-file as such.

Grand, so - I'll look into it when I've free time.

Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Bard
    (although HOW to stream mp3's I've yet to learn...).

If you're using a Macintosh, open iTunes and select Open Stream from the Advanced menu. Then just type in the HTTP location of the MP3 file, and it will be streamed. Windows MP3 players probably have similar features.

PS: I didn't catch this thread in time, but I'd be happy to donate server disk space to IrelandOffline. Heck, I've got 300GB of prepaid bandwidth every month, so even if you get thousands of downloads of large files, that shouldn't be a problem. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

how come you have so much bandwith?

Advertisement