Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Hi-Jack

• 11-10-2005 12:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭

Any one think this would work
    all this depends on the Trigger numbers and me been able to find out what the actuall trigger numbers are .
    Where I live now there is no broadband and Im kinda tried of wireless goverment broadband schemes as most of them are just Sat setups which are kinda crap to be honest, so I was thinking there are 5 villages around there and 4 secondary schools , IF I went to the headmaster's of theses schools and got them to get all the students to provide there home phone number and account no and holders name and address and then register all of them as been intersted so the exchange would be upgraded would this work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

what a clearly written piece of prose....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Joeface

are u mocking my dislexyia.... cause i take offence to that :D :mad:

I tried to fix it ... hope its more readable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

schools wont give out phone numbers.

EDIT: sorry misread it. I still dunno how many people would be willing to give out their phone numbers unless they think it for a good cause. Most people wouldn't care too much about broadband unless they were already thinking of getting it. So i dont really think this would work no.

they might in this instance, it beneifits everyone including the schools ,The schools them selves could register all the phone numbers with the parents permission of course, if it was to work off , they too would have broadband connections, which in this day and age should be available to all schools , between these 4 schools there are 2000 pupils and i havent included the primary schools or the Private College, Must be pushing 4000 kids if not more ... its shocking to think that,

The most annoying part is all the adds on TV for broadband ( and i know ppl have said this before) and not everyone is able to get , I mean line rental is supposed to cover maintance and upgrade of the national Grid. but this is line ur own pocket Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Ah, now that a wee bit clearer. Ok, now for your idea...to be quite blunt about
    it...you're idea would not work!

No principle is going to give out names and address of his pupils to anyone! He would get sacked by the Dept. of Education.

Secondly, you might be enthused about broadband - other people are not. As far as I know during the "broadband free trial" Eircom did not expect so many broadband kits to be sent back to them...

Is there a local Chamber of Commerce you could contact about this - you could get a petition from local business people - they might have more clout than some beardy school principle.(seeing that Eircom likes to please biz customers more than it does ordinary ones)

• Advertisement

Its not that im enthused about Broadband , I use to have a connection but since i moved back out to the wilderness im stuck with a dialup connection which will only connect at 14.4k, try emailing a 4mb file to a customer with that , its actually a big loss , I used to use it not only for online gaming , it even ment i didnt have to go in everyday, and there aint enough businesses out there turn eircoms hand,Ah well ,twas worth asking ,

thanks for the replys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I doubt he would give you out numbers. I would try talk to headmasters and get them to get their students to register their interest. Explain to the Hedmasters how BB could benefit the schools and students and how much better DSL is than wireless/Sat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

jetsonx wrote:
    Secondly, you might be enthused about broadband - other people are not. As far as I know during the "broadband free trial" Eircom did not expect so many broadband kits to be sent back to them...
    I think you'll find that most people sent back the Eircom BB kits because they realised every other provider was cheaper for the same thing.
    I've lost count of the number of people that I setup BB for during the free trial period. Some kept it but nearly all cancelled Eircom and subsequently ordered from BT (or UTV) and I was back out setting it up again :D
    So people do want BB. They just want to get rode by Eircom for the privilege.

To the original poster:
    Anything is worth a shot.You never know something may come of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

The Eircom Trigger scheme is a waste of time, Eircom have a set list of exchanges they are planning to upgrade, and the plan is to rollout all of the exchanges by March 2006. If you're not on the list now then you're chances of getting your exchange upgraded is slim to none. Also remeber that even if the excahnge is upgraded there is no guarantee that you will be able to get BB. Distance, poor quality copper and pairgains have all been shown to be effective blockers :).

If you really want BB you best, and probably easiest option is to go the GBS route. Schemes as small as 25 poeple have been approved, and it is up to the community to decided who the ISP will be, and what technology will be used. As you note many of the of the schemes which have been approved have been Sat based, this is largely because the Sat based ISP have been very aggressive in following the GBS route. However there are a number of WISP's who have also participated and you may be able to convince one of them to work with you.

HTH
    M.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

triggers mean nothing , a complete waste of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement