Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Possible 'under the bonnet' questions in the driving test

Options
  • 11-10-2005 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Hopefully the right place for this.

Does someone have a concise list of the possible questions that a tester can ask you about in the mechanical part of the drivers test ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

When I was doin it the instructor told me its possible to be asked
    1) to show where to top up the oil,
    2)how to check the oil,
    3) your "advanced warning device" (horn),
    4) how to top up the windscreen wash,
    5)how to check brake fluid level,
    6) how to check power steering fluid level.
    7) Also can ask you to show positive/negative terminals on the battery.

You can also be asked about checking tyre thread depth and the legal limit(1.6mm) etc.

I think thats about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

PaulKK wrote:
    3) your "advanced warning device" (horn),

the little buggers ! :))

thanks paul

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

do they ask them things these days? I didn't get them questions but I got my full licence 5 yrs ago.tyre thread depth yes that is possible question

yea, they brought it in at the start of this year I think

unbelievable :) what has engine oil got to do with driving test? lol, most people dont have a clue on these things, then they have to ask brake and ps fluid, thats gonna be fun :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

big-time. the reason I ask is my g/f needs to know for her test on monday, so I need to show her the ropes. I guess it makes sense to have to know this stuff, but for me it would make more sense to have to know how to drive on a motorway, and other safety related stuff that isn't tested and therefore taught. But that would be another story, and another thread altogether !

I suppose it makes sense. Maintaining a car is a big safety issue. If you never checked the brake fluid, tyre thread or oil level, you couldend up in serious trouble one day. I'd say there's loads of people ( women especially ) who never check these things.
    Hell, I know people who are driving on full licences and don't even know how to pop the bonnet! :D

that wont be me :) I rebuilt my own, lol :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

PaulKK wrote:
    I suppose it makes sense. Maintaining a car is a big safety issue. If you never checked the brake fluid, tyre thread or oil level, you couldend up in serious trouble one day. I'd say there's loads of people ( women especially ) who never check these things.
    Hell, I know people who are driving on full licences and don't even know how to pop the bonnet! :D
    In theory driving on a motorway shouldn't be all that different to driving on a dual-carriageway or any regular road, altough for some reason the extra 10mph makes some people panic/excited and they act like idiots. IMO it's much more important that people prove they can maintain their car and keep it in a safe state to drive. I'm sure there's statistics somewhere but I'm willing to bet more people are killed each year by the failure of car parts due to negligence than there are due to motorway stupidity.

Advertisement