Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

prices for ADSL

• 13-09-2001 7:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭

check this link

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/21655.html

quote""
    Eircom has announced the launch of Ireland's first commercially available ADSL service.

Branded "eircom i-stream", the incumbent Irish telco said it will invest more than E125 million (£77 million) over the next five years to fund the roll-out of the broadband service.

The telco added that the service would initially be targeted at business and domestic users and should begin to be rolled out from the beginning of October in areas where exchanges have been upgraded.

The single user USB service costs E99 (£61stg) a month - about £20 a month more than similar services in the UK - with installation and hardware costs adding an extra E270 (£166stg) to the bill.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

3 gig limit :(

and not quite on my exchange
    stupud feckin auxilary exchange :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Praetorian

£63 x 12 is £756 quid a year. Im afraid thats too much espeicially considering thats with a 3gb cap. After installation etc etc its gonna cost us the guts of £1000 for the first year :mad:

Does anyone know if this price is including vat?

At the end of the day IMHO we are being ripped off, compared to everyone else in Europe anyway...

For me this price is ok because in the past ive spent a fortune on ISDN and I can afford if because ive no rent etc etc. But Im fed up of being ripped off so im just going to use our T1 connection at work until I get ADSL.

The big question for me is when will our exchange be upgraded (Balbriggan Co Dublin)

|The easiest way to find out is to ring their number.
    Quite friendly considering it was Eircom :p, tried to help wihtout actually knowing too much about the future plans.

Im fairly sure thats including VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

basically what we have here is a slap in the face followed by a kick in the nuts.

60 odd quid a month and a cap. fecking ridiculous

(no comments on my shoddy spelling plz)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

i was gona post this earlier today but i didnt!

where anyone could have got 60 quid from is beyond me. if you read the articel on thereg you would have seen stg or sterling beside all the prices quoted.

the actual irish price is IE£78 and €99 per month. We are not certain if this includes VAT as of yet as the site is unclear.

and yes the 3gig Cap + IE£78 is a kick in the stones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

thats even worse.. might as well just post my credit card and everything I own to eircom.. they'll financially own me soon enough the way things are going

well 3 gigs aint too bad considering its eircom.
    couda been worse like.

3 gigs would e more than enough for me to start on.
    i aint plannign on dloading movies by the arvhive.
    i could be wrong of course.
    ill see how much i use on isdn this month and change/ re-affirm my statementno cap would be better but i expected worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Any1 notice the difference between the business and home user pacages for a "For a single user, on a single computer". The prices quoted by http://www.theregister.co.uk were for the business package and don't include vat.
    Here are the proces from the site (home uaer first):
      Connection fee is E150 (IR£118.13) inc. VAT - Monthly fee is E118.80 (IR£93.56). inc. VAT Connection fee is E125 (IR£98.45) - Monthly fee is E99 (IR£77.97).

Here are sites for the Home User and the Business User.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Perhaps all these Eircom ADSL price threads should be moved to the humour board?

3GB cap is unreasonable IMO, I might have gone for it IF you could buy extra GB upfront cheaper, rather than 3p/mb afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Mabey now with ADSL finaly released, we may see some compitition around, meaning price lowering with in the next few months because of other companies like NTL and Chorus offering these Broad Band services. Eircom may finaly realise that those prices are a bit to high for the general commercial users, when they see there target market go other places.

Hopefully this is what we will see, or mabey more realisticly what we would LIKE to see.

-ADREN-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Mabey now with ADSL finaly released, we may see some compitition around, meaning price lowering with in the next few months because of other companies like NTL and Chorus offering these Broad Band services. Eircom may finaly realise that those prices are a bit to high for the general commercial users, when they see there target market go other places.

Hopefully this is what we will see, or mabey more realisticly what we would LIKE to see.

ADREN

where the hell is my spell checker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    Mabey now with ADSL finaly released, we may see some compitition around

Ah no.
    meaning price lowering with in the next few months because of other companies like NTL and Chorus offering these Broad Band services.

The prices are high for a reason and that is.....

Eircom may finaly realise that those prices are a bit to high for the general commercial users, when they see there target market go other places.

so ppl dont order DSL and it fails and so eircom can continue to charge per min on the existing system.

and i hope none of you have any illusions of FRIACO.
    DSL arrived here before flatrate and once can only deduce that eircom have no plans for flat rate, never ever ever....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

will the 1 meg line also have a limit?
    in another thread it was said to be 6 gigs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

now let me think ... i pay £160 inc tav a month on phone bills . i download in or around 1.7 gigs a week .

that means ill pass by my limit some where in the first week considering that the access will be 24/7 and the speed higher .

so ill have to pay extra to the £125 a month + the cost for about 6 gigs

arg it aint lookin good for me

i thought the cheaper one was #80 a month.
    if thats the case then say u dload 6 gigs it will cost you around 90 quid extra. so thats a total of 150. If ya ask me would be worth it cos ud be dloading dbl the amount for the same price (+installation of course).

But thats just me.
    1gig = 30 quid @3p a meg aint it? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

bit of a chane on eircom.ie the main site. www.adsl.ie has not been updated.

all prices now include VAT!!!!! which they didnt b4 and now makes it look even worse than we thought it was gona be :(

go to eircom.ie -> home user -> products and services -> i-stream solo

there you can all the proper prices for the home user product.

i will still pay this price as i pay 200+ a month for my internet costs on on my land line :(

one other small point to make, that adsl.ie points to the business page from eircom.ie, hence the VAT less prices and also all the options. Us home users have only on option :(

some one posted that they got the business options without having to have any form of paperwork. I might have been dreadmin however, if i wasnt it was on these boards somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The ODTR has obviously seen the fúcking ridiculous prices eircom is trying out too... see
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/finance/2001/0917/fin4.htm
    so eircom will have to lower their silly prices or risk losing their licence! wohoo!!!!(hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

Is it cheaper for a business or home use??? I really want to get it but if it goin to cost that much! i couldnt afford it! Eircom are bloody useless!!! i still reckon the Americans have the best way! you pay bout $40 a month for unlimated time on the net!!! that would be beautiful! I think IOL or Esat did that for a while but...... they messed it up!!!!!!

Advertisement