Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

01 VW Passat - 1.6

Options
  • 11-10-2005 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

What is peoples opinion of this car. I am considering buying one in the coming weeks. I am a massive fan of the interior and exterior styling of the car so that is not a problem.

Do any owners or whoever have any tidbits of info that may be of use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

What is peoples opinion of this car. I am considering buying one in the coming weeks. I am a massive fan of the interior and exterior styling of the car so that is not a problem.

Do any owners or whoever have any tidbits of info that may be of use?

I have the VW Passat 1.9Tdi and I love it!! swapped from a Primera 1.6 to the 1.9Tdi because of the amount of miles....car is smooth and engines seem to be great....loads of room in back seats for a couple of passangers.....also can drop the seats into boot to give you great space to carry things.....mattress(single) and a shower door I have fitted in over the last week withou leaving boot open

One thing is reception on radio is bad....go outside Dublin and you start having problems....I swapped stereo that was in there with a Pioneer and made a bit of difference but if going to Galway or somewhere liek that I will bring some cd's with me.....bro has the same on his 02 one....think you need to get an amplifier(cant remember name) and put it onto the arial cable to fix this!!

So in other words...good car, reliable, comfortable, I like the look of them and roomy!!

Edit* oh yeah if you check under the bonnet at the engine up on the passengers side right up beside the window you will see where the water runs down....check this isnt blocked and if it is check around for damage....a taxi driver was telling me one time this blocked on him so water over flowed in rain and didnt run down correct way and caused damage to....cant remember had a few pints on me...... :D ........but could be something to look at......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I used to have one. IMHO extremely solidly built and never let me down but a bit boring to drive. IE it'll get you from A to B no problem but you'll never look forward to going for a spin in it. Just my 2 cents....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1.6 Passat is best suited for urban journeys as it is a bit underpowered for the heavy body of the Passat. The same is said of the Audi A4 which uses the same engines.

If you do alot of long distance or motorway driving you would need a bit more power for overtaking so I would recommend the TDi if your budget can allow.

Make sure the gear box is smooth as some VW gear boxes have been known to be knotchy especially in the MkIV Golf. Also check the central locking is working ok as VW had terrible trouble with it back then but I think it was replaced under warranty.

Also check out http://www.honestjohn.co.uk for a good summary of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

My plans to get a Passat have had a serious dent put in them by Quinn Direct... They quoted me 1,100 fully comp on a 01 1.6 Primera and Avensis. They quoted me the same on a 01 1.6 Golf and even a brand new 1.6 Golf. They quoted me the same price on a 98 Passat. They will not quote me on the 01 Passat I found. Even though it has the same value and spec as the Primera/Avensis that they will quote me on.. Depressing..

My plans to get a Passat have had a serious dent put in them by Quinn Direct... They quoted me 1,100 fully comp on a 01 1.6 Primera and Avensis. They quoted me the same on a 01 1.6 Golf and even a brand new 1.6 Golf. They quoted me the same price on a 98 Passat. They will not quote me on the 01 Passat I found. Even though it has the same value and spec as the Primera/Avensis that they will quote me on.. Depressing..

Insurance companies continue to baffle me... :confused:

Did you look at the Seat Toledo/Leon or Skoda Octavia? These can be got in 1.6, might be seeing if they will quote you on them.

Also try a few different insurance companies.

• Advertisement

Yeah not a fan of the appearance of those cars...

Another mate had a similar problem. Was going to buy a new 1.9TDi Octavia but they wouldnt insure him.. Yet they insured him on a brand new 1.9TDi Golf.. Crazy.

Quinn Direct is by far the cheapest. I am 25 with a provisional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I am 25 with a provisional.

Get a full license man!!! I was only paying 500 euro on a full license with a 1.6 when I was 25.....26 now and paying 1,000 euro for 1.9Tdi with the promise it will be a huge drop next year!!!!! thats with FBD by the way! I hate Quinn as people will know from here!

Man I have applied, waiting 4 months now...

Might be better off waiting for the full license and then get the car you want rather than comprimising right now.

Did you ask Quinn what they would quote you with a full license?

Anyway, got quoted 1,180 for an 01 1.6 Primera.. Would have saved 100 quid with a full license. I have 8 years named driving experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Anyway, got quoted 1,180 for an 01 1.6 Primera.. Would have saved 100 quid with a full license. I have 8 years named driving experience.

Would yea quote yea for an older model Passat?

Yeah they quoted me the same for a 97 to 02 Primera, 97 to 99 Passat and any Avensis.. Just not an 01 Passat or higher..

Advertisement