Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband - use TV and BB from one point?

• 11-10-2005 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

I’ve just had NTL broadband installed in my new house, and as always, its excellent. Problem is I need to get TV and broadband signals from one point simultaneously as I have a Windows Media Center PC so need to pull a TV signal to my TV Tuner and broadband at the same time.

The installation lads were dead sound and helpful (they pulled a phone cable up to the attic and back down with a TV cable where my sparks had forgotten it). They gave me a 6 to one splitter which splits the signal in the ration of 6 sevenths to broadband, 1 seventh to TV. I told them I’d heard of problems with these things and I needed good TV and BB signals from it and they assured me it would be grand.

The broadband does not work when routed through the splitter. I get an IP address but cannot hit any web sites (or ping them), or connect to the Internet at all. When I connect broadband directly to the modem it works no problem. Does anyone have any ideas on this before I get onto NTL and get them back out?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well it should work. I have a NTL connection in my bedroom, it is split, one oging to the modem, the other going to the Digital TV box. This is after it has already been split in the attic (to go downstairs).

So it should work, call NTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I only have one TV point in my apartment. I have BB, Digital and Analogue (two splitters in total). It all works fine.

Maybe the splitter is faulty??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Thanks, I'll give them a call so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I'd love to get NTL broadband Max. I currently have BT Plus.

We live in a NTL digital area and I've been calling them once a month to get an update. They don't seem to be willing to divulge when they will be moving into our area even though I believe half of the suburb (Clondalkin) has the service.

I believe their modus operandi is to drop a leaflet on the day the service starts.

The anticipation is killing me!!! Come on NTL... move your butts!

Advertisement