Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion heating questions

Options
  • 11-10-2005 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi there,

Can I tap into the wisdom of the board please .....

I have dual rate electricity because I run my geothermal heat pump off-peak. My hot water is partially heated by a Domestic Hot Water interface on the heat pump. This doesn't heat the water sufficient to shower with, probably heating to a max of 25-30 Deg C. The remainder is boosted by an immersion. The immersion switch is a timed-variety and designed to work with dual rate electricity, it also has an override Boost switch.

However the original switch was faulty. This switch allowed you to set how long the immersion tripped-in for. However the replacement sent by the manufacturer has a fixed duration timed function. It switches on for 4.5 hours off-peak. The hot water cylinder is 260 liters, I think. So I have a few questions ....

1. I have no idea how long it takes to heat water - is this excessive?

2. Does the immersion have a thermostat that trips out when it reaches a certain temperature?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

hi paulb....

once the water comes up to tempeture, the thermostat on the cylinder will/should trip out the circuit hence going into cycle mode for the remainder of the fixed duration timed switch...

so once the water is heated to the set tempeture, the stat switches in and out keeping it to that trempeture... with the clyinder being foam lagged..very little excess heating is needed...

hope this answers your question..

niall..

hirsch electrical

Advertisement