Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uilleann pipe info

Options
  • 11-10-2005 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Where can I buy an uilleann pipe?
    How much does it cost?
    Is there any teaching available in Dublin around in the vicinity?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭pinkyirl

www.newschool.ie - Waltons School of music in Georges Street in Dublin have an uileann pipes class. I would imagine you're better off waiting for their second term at this stage - it would start some time after Xmas - all the info should be on the site

i'm learning flute there at the mo & think my teacher teaches uileann pipes aswell & he's really good

best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭zenzen

heya Vangelis, as a beginner, you just need a practice set of pipes. this could set you back anywhere between 500 and 1,000 euros. when you get better then you can build on this practice set of pipes...you'll add drones and other parts and then you'll have a full set eventually. no pipers really start with a full set, too hard and way too expensive. they are a fab instrument but difficult to perfect...anyway if you need anymore info pm me and i will give ya any help on it that i can :) cya, zenzen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭that guy

pinkyirl wrote:
    www.newschool.ie - Waltons School of music in Georges Street in Dublin have an uileann pipes class. I would imagine you're better off waiting for their second term at this stage - it would start some time after Xmas - all the info should be on the site

i'm learning flute there at the mo & think my teacher teaches uileann pipes aswell & he's really good

best of luck!

Hey Pinkyirl. -your teacher's name begin with an E? (and end with an n?):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

Thanks!! :D

Is playing the pipe very exhausting at first?
    Do you need strong lip muscles?

well the uilleann pipes arent a wind instrument :) the air is pumped through a pump under your elbow, hence the name uillean pipe which means elbow pipe in irish. the website pipers.ie has good info if you need it on lessons or gigs around dublin.

• Advertisement

Ok. It's very obvious that I'm a beginner, eh! :o
    Thanks for your help!

sure ya have to start somewhere like!! :) good luck with it anyway :) cya, zenzen

:) zenzen, do you play yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭pinkyirl

that guy wrote:
    Hey Pinkyirl. -your teacher's name begin with an E? (and end with an n?):)

yep - that's the man himself.
    a man of many talents and endless patience - sometimes i dunno how he manages to sit there for 45 mins & listen to my painful attempts at destroying some fantastic pieces of music hehehe

:D

Advertisement