Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension questions

Options
  • 11-10-2005 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

We are in the early stages of planning an extension to our timber framed dormer house. I have attached a diagram of the house with the proposed extension in yellow. Before talking to the architect I would like to get some opinions on a couple of questions I have.
    1. The wall where the extension will connect has a window currently (approx 1.2m wide). We can leave the window lintel as it is and open out below it leaving a partial wall between the original house and the extension or we can remove this wall entirely and put in a beam to support the wall. (The ground floor of the extension will increase the size of the existing kitchen.) Are there any implications with a timber frame house if we remove the wall and which option is best ?
    2. The upstairs of the extension will be a bedroom. By my calculations there will only be approx 1.5m between the 2 sides of the roof at ceiling height. Would we be better not putting in a ceiling ?
    If this is unclear I can add some more diagrams to explain it better.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisement