Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Physics Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Oh Das Glitch will be playing (Dr. Stefan Hutzler's band)

That guy is cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Yeah, I saw them a few times, funnily enough the best was at a Physoc Christmas party. Go, giggle, and enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

hmm, the presentations are over now for a while. more fun next term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Ah the presentations were fun. What was your one on pseudonym?

Right

808.gif

Physics and Maths Christmas Party Tonight!

The Village 21:30, tickets 5euro predrinks in the iams lecture room (behind the main lobby) starting from 19:30. By the way anyone's welcome :)

You can get tickets from me. Here's my ph no up temporarily: (edited) I'll be round college all day.

Stefan Hutzler's band Das Glitch are playing! This is the main reason I'll be attending...

Oh yeah and how are all us JS (excluding tps) set for the open book QM test tomorrow. Oddly enough I think I'm pretty set for it, which is odd for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Oh my god. That animated gif is legend. :D

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Here's my ph no up temporarily: 0863511099 I'll be round college all day.

18750.gif

Dead Ed wrote:
    har har! when did king arthur's missus start givin tests??
    When they were apparently such a success for last years SF. Also since most people averaged about 10% on paper 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

so not set for that test. me showing up for it will simply be an excercise is 'this is why i need to study'.

oh well, i guess it's better that i have that moment of 'how little i know' shock now rather than in the first exam in may.

• Advertisement

Not at the the xmas party :( Suddenly felt really sick and had to go home

ah yeah, the christmas party was a laugh, tho i remember hutzlers band being better at last years one in some pub near tara st station. Was great to talk ****e drunkenly to old lecturers tho :eek: . Ah Christmas.
    Head was kinda dodgy in 11am QM lecture tho.

Also, McGilps first course is over. Hes such a happy man.

is McGilp going to put his overheads on the web? my attendance for the past couple of weeks has been less than stellar - damn the cold, my colds and 'real life' getting in the way of going to lectures...

cuckoo wrote:
    is McGilp going to put his overheads on the web?
    Nope..

Just the summaries and odd graph he has on now. I recommend getting either the Thermal Physics Kittel or the Mandle book (preferably the former, has different notation but is better over all) and going through it on your own, chapter by chapter. IMHO his notes are structured confusingly..

I've read and taken notes up to chapter 5 from kittel. The subject isn't really that hard when explained well and is pretty damn fking interesting after a while. Really makes you feel that you understand more about the world..

Didn't notice ya in that QM test today susan eh eh? ;)
    Twas pretty damn hard.. all very original questions, nothing like past papers or her tutorial q's. Also there were too many for the time given. She apologised for that tho sayin this was an experiment for her. So that's fair enough I suppose. Twas a good exercise though..

ApeXaviour wrote:
    I've read and taken notes up to chapter 5 from kittel. The subject isn't really that hard when explained well and is pretty damn fking interesting after a while. Really makes you feel that you understand more about the world..

Didn't notice ya in that QM test today susan eh eh? ;)
    Twas pretty damn hard.. all very original questions, nothing like past papers or her tutorial q's. Also there were too many for the time given. She apologised for that tho sayin this was an experiment for her. So that's fair enough I suppose. Twas a good exercise though..

:o um, yeah. my v bad.

ApeXaviour wrote:
    IMHO his notes are structured confusingly..

Id have to say I quite like McGilps notes, they seem to be fairly complete, The notes for the Maths stat phys course are much more scattered.
    And hes so damn happy and enthuasiastic.
    McGilp wrote:
    This is really good stuff.....first principles.....really good physics.....well, I think so....Youv gotta read over your notes.....really good stuff.....good stuff....od stuff...stuff.....ufff..ff....f...f...f

• Advertisement

pseudonym wrote:
    And hes so damn happy and enthuasiastic.
    That I will agree on. Lovely chap all round.

But honestly, when it comes to answering past questions, or really following wtf is going on in that course. I would personally advise against his notes (I have them ALL from last year). I use them for reference, that's about it.

On a comparitive basis, start reading thermal physics. Only then you'll see how confusing his notes are. They're not scattered really, just don't leave ya with much of an understanding. I get a headache reading them.

Iggy's notes are the shizzle though. They are so complete and well put together, if you know them well you will be able to answer any question he throws at you. But I don't like him that much..

ApeXaviour wrote:
    But I don't like him that much..

He seemed grand last year on the Quantum Physics course, but comes across as a bit of a schoolteacher this year a bit.

Btw, http://www.dedaluspress.com/poets/mcgovern.html

pseudonym wrote:

:eek: Jayzus... Fair play. Knew he liked to dabble in poetry but wasn't aware he was published! That's some diverse intelligence for ya.

Well maybe not. Poetry can be said to only require a spark of creativity. Then it is meticulously gone over again and again with method and critique. Sounds a little familiar :)

....and if we look at the rhyming pattern in stanza two, some very important physics is revealed......

Wow.. The man's a legend. I didn't realise you could make middle-aged hum-drum suburban life sound pretentious
    The King of Suburbia

Like any Wenceslas I must look out
    beyond the castle gate to know my realm,
    with neither page or courtier about
    to see me gingerly let go the helm.
    Each early morning Saturday I rise
    and leave aside the sceptre and the crown.
    Unshaven and unshowered, I disguise
    the stamp & coin of profile, dressing down
    in faded denim of the lower rank.
    Long ere the royal princes will awake,
    I place a box of empties in the boot
    and, setting forth toward the bottle-bank,
    seat-belted earl of Park & Close, I take
    a twenty-one black wheelie-bin salute.

• Advertisement

cuckoo wrote:
    :o um, yeah. my v bad.
    I know the feeling..

So did anyone go to the christmas party? Heard it was deadly. Das glitch obviously being the highlight

Wasn't at the party, still haven't fully got my head around the whole 'i'm in a new class thing'. Also, have been feeling like crap for the past week, so had an early night.

It was brought home to me today just how out of touch a week or two (or, ok, three) of less than perfect lecture attendance can make me - i showed up for the 11am lecture in Maxwell today and was all by myself. Is that course finished as well?!?!?

Woo hoo for the extension on the yellow careers book, boo hiss at me for not turning my phone to silent this afternoon. Yes, that was me scrabbling around the floor for the phone with the Futurama ringtone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

I was there, it was even better than last year especially since Weaire at the reception stole one of my friends tuborgs: (****ty) pics (from my phone) are here www.maths.tcd.ie/~dleen/dasglitch . The first one is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

Ugh im glad that term is over, 3rd year sucks ass. Im so damn busy all the time. And havent done an ounce of study yet, so thats gonna eat into my precious holdiay time. AND I saw next term's timetable...looks like around 30hrs (compared to like 17/18 this term)...f**cking hell what are they trying to do to us??! Too many early starts and late finishes for my liking. sigh me dont like physics :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

i tried to warn ye...3rd n 4th year just plain suck.

you obviously didnt warn me enough ian....all your fault :p

you obviously didnt warn me enough ian....all your fault :p
    Hrmm what if that was my intention? then this would be a success? but is it my intention? What are intentions really? How does one define reality? Should one look to string theory to make such a definintion? Given that we have seen scientific evidence that gravity travel's at the speed of light should most brane world theories be thrown out?

Hrmm what if that was my intention? then this would be a success? but is it my intention? What are intentions really? How does one define reality? Should one look to string theory to make such a definintion? Given that we have seen scientific evidence that gravity travel's at the speed of light should most brane world theories be thrown out?
    Dude... Are you on drugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Omfg sophies returned - terrifying. on a side note, ian might possibly be on drugs. *shrug*

• Advertisement

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Dude... Are you on drugs?
    Purple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

Hee hee , 3rd year physics.
    LOved the start of next term , got to get revenge on the full physics people!
    PCAM were in the crap house the first term now for the rest of the year we had it easy compared to them!!!

#rd year physics should come with a health warning Half of you lot will fail.

Indeed, it's a carbon copy of last year. Hilary term is a btch.

And everyone just thought our year was stupid eh air_vent? Just wait till these guys go to do exams. oh wait... I'M IN THIRD YEAR!

SHIT!

dragging this thread up again.....
    ugh dreading this afternoon, really not wanting to go back to college yet. even just one more week would be perfect like! its too comfy in my flat to leave it at the mo.
    on a brighter note though looks like we've got Finch lecturing us today, that should wake me up a bit lol :D

:eek: wow, this thread has been renamed again.

Ah... makes no odds on me. I came in all last week anyway and didnt go to lectures (yes realise there were none to go to ;) ). Doin the exact same this week so..

Yeah will make an effort to go to that new nanoscience course. It'll be interesting to see what that's all about.

Also Atomic and Molecular spectroscopy has a new lecturer thanks be to god! Patterson lectured it last year and jaysus his notes were all over the place, hadn't a clue what was going on. So gonna try make those lectures too maybe.

All my SS friends are finished their project reports today and are tearin it up in the pav currently. Might go join them now. Did all I could in the library and sure that's closing now. It'll be good to see the old crew, specially the ones that went to america/germany/belgium for their projects. (Yeah I know... tossers ;) )

Aaaah, a Finch lecture was a nice way to end up the day. What was even nicer was the 3pm being cancelled...

Ok, is anyone else really annoyed by the strange things that sort of over head projector camera thing is doing in the SNIAM lecture theatre? Things zoom in and out of focus.

ApeXaviour wrote:
    All my SS friends are finished their project reports today and are tearin it up in the pav currently. Might go join them now. Did all I could in the library and sure that's closing now. It'll be good to see the old crew, specially the ones that went to america/germany/belgium for their projects. (Yeah I know... tossers ;) )
    them n their 'mini projects' bastards...found out yesterday straight after the break i've to hand in me project.....god its not going to be done by then :s

cuckoo wrote:
    Ok, is anyone else really annoyed by the strange things that sort of over head projector camera thing is doing in the SNIAM lecture theatre? Things zoom in and out of focus.
    haha, there's an annoying one in the loyd building too, it keeps turning itself on when it should be asleep, so covers the projecter in a stupid blue light n ye can't see anything....(lecturer uses one of the overhead yokies drawing on transparancies..)

• Advertisement

them n their 'mini projects' bastards...
    Right.. five months 9 to 5 working on cutting edge research with phd and postdocs, worth a 1/3rd of your degree mark is mini. :rolleyes:

You may have been joking but I'm looking for a fight right now so...

you really need to cut down on the caffine m8

you really need to cut down on the caffine m8
    GRRRRRR :mad:

Nah it's hungover regret anger.. Stupid me drinking till 7am. WTF was I thinking.. I'm gonna get no study done now today

http://www.tcd.ie/CAPSL/academic_practice/index.php?page=pta

It's Provost's Teaching Awards time of year again, and if anyone's interested in nominating a certain slightly eccentric legend of the Physics dept the form can be found at the above link and has to be emailed/sent in by Friday the 20th (ie this Friday).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

cuckoo wrote:
    http://www.tcd.ie/CAPSL/academic_practice/index.php?page=pta

It's Provost's Teaching Awards time of year again, and if anyone's interested in nominating a certain slightly eccentric legend of the Physics dept the form can be found at the above link and has to be emailed/sent in by Friday the 20th (ie this Friday).
    I wanna see that man on coke. Even the drink would push him over the edge and into a gibbering mess of radioactive twitchiness. I'm actually gonna record the next lecture and try to websiteify it as encouragement for kids to do physics. Or not. I'll just laugh at it and try find out what the hell he's jabbering and flapping on about.

Heh..if it weren't for the fact that I never once had a clue what the hell was going on, physics would have been really fun. You had Finch, who was marvellously enthusiastic and entertaining, you had Cormac McGuinness, who you could visualise with long hair and a guitar screeching out bluesy rock during all those times of "wow I'm so out of my depth here", and of course Ferreira, zee stud eemselff.

• Advertisement

Pretty interesting read :
    13 things that do not make sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Pretty interesting read :
    13 things that do not make sense

That WAS pretty interesing all right.

Thats quite old actually - i read it a fair few months back. excellent read though.

The homeopathy one surely falls under the placebo effect, no? I mean I'm as into alternative mediciney stuff as you can be, but from a scientific POV there's no way homeopathy can actually work..it just isn't possible.

from a current scientific point of view - never know what new aspects of atomic structure which may come around at some stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement