Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Physics Thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I suppose. I know that almost-homeopathic solutions of pollen given over a 3-month period help reduce symptoms of hayfever in summertime, but..I don't understand how actual homepathy can or could work, on a chemical/biological level, at that factor of dilution..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I really hate statistical thermodynamics. Spending waaay more time on it than any other subject and I still can't answer past questions. I must have a mental block against it, like with programming (oh tg I dont have to do that anymore :D ). It's those damn summation sigma's I think, I HATE THEM. They make me feel stupid..

Cuckoo / sleepingbeauty.. whaddyis think of that new guy Pethica and his new course mechanics of matter? I have to say I'm pretty damn impressed with him so far. I envisioned hating this subject, and he reminds me of somebody I'm not too fond of. Yet... he keeps your attention, breaks everything down for you so you understand it all there on the spot and even puts in the odd joke or funny anecdote. I've actually started looking forward to his lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

I have to say I prob listen in his lectures more than any other (thats really saying something because generally I dont listen full stop). Seems very easy, I keep expecting to walk in there one day and it gets excrutiatingly hard but hasnt happened yet!! Grr astro lecture in 10mins and didnt do the tutorial questions :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 booms mcd

got to love wednesdays for getting in at 3 for JS EP. this should be in the woohoo tread though. does ne1 know if Blau has just ****ed off r is there actually a lecture at 4 2day??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

booms mcd wrote:
    got to love wednesdays for getting in at 3 for JS EP. this should be in the woohoo tread though. does ne1 know if Blau has just ****ed off r is there actually a lecture at 4 2day??

shame on me for not even making it to the 3pm. double shame on me if there was a 4pm. :(

will be in at 9 tmw, will be in at 9 tmw, will be.....

"To whom it may concern,

The JS 3014 class scheduled for Thursday between 9am – 10am in the Sniam Lecture Room, will now be taking place in the SFI Conference Room (by Lincoln place gate) between 9am – 10am."

Anyone know where the SFI conference room actually is?

cuckoo wrote:
    Anyone know where the SFI conference room actually is?
    Nope, don't care either. Have all the notes from that course anyway. I'll be at the 10pm A&M spectroscopy course however.

If it's by the lincoln gate ask the security guys around there.. Hold on I'll send some texts around and see if anybody knows where it is.

btw cuckoo, there was a double A&M spec lecture from 4-6. though he was sound about it and let us off at 5.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭pseudonym

ah, you've gotta love nellist and his carefree attitude. or something like that. cracks bad joke. laughs at own joke. leaves microphone on....

pseudonym wrote:
    ah, you've gotta love nellist and his carefree attitude. or something like that. cracks bad joke. laughs at own joke. leaves microphone on....
    He's utterly refreshing for what is otherwise quite an annoying course. Well at least it was quite an annoying course when taught by patterson. (I'm sure you can imagine)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 booms mcd

yo those nellist lectures aren't so bad. pity bout the times. too early or late.

nebody think these mathematica labs are the biggest load of b****x.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

booms mcd wrote:
    Ah mathemathica is great apart from its random crankyness, though labs on it is painfull(to teach anyway)

booms mcd wrote:
    Heheh.. I went up to mauro's office and turns out I get excempted from them! Was gonna repeat them anyway cos I thought I did terribly in them but nope, 2.1 average.. grand!

JS Trinity term timetable is up - no 9am lectures for EP this term - woot.

It's a little messy, lots of the slots are wk 2,4,6. I'll be checking a copy of it daily next term. But, i like the look of it, not too many hours.

JS lab assessments, however, are evil.

cuckoo wrote:
    JS lab assessments, however, are evil.
    Yeah.. seems to depend on barkley/espey/donovan/blau's mood (especially espey, man that guy can be an erratic marker). I have my writeups from last year on my maths webpage (that's not been updated since last summer) if you want them

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Yeah.. seems to depend on barkley/espey/donovan/blau's mood (especially espey, man that guy can be an erratic marker).

word. :mad:

Sure its all physics, how hard could it be?

*hides*

Sure its all physics, how hard could it be?
    Can't remember you exactly bein a fan of lab write ups tbh.

Imagine them just as first year, but times ten. You're averaging 25-30 hours work per lab report. Then a month later, when you've forgotten everything about it, you get ~30 minute interview ON this lab report where they give you a mark. Each mark is worth 4% of the year!

Anyone in third year know the story with this? Didn't he say the lecture course was finished!? Yet on the timetable there're more lectures scheduled for next term...

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Anyone in third year know the story with this? Didn't he say the lecture course was finished!? Yet on the timetable there're more lectures scheduled for next term...

yeah im not sure but i reckon its a mistake because those lectures are deffo over.

anyone know what the deal is with problem solving lectures? the sis system timetable says i have a double py3031 on monday afternoon, but physics site says its just for 4th years? whats the craic? please someone tell me sis is wrong!! (they generally are!)

• Advertisement

anyone know what the deal is with problem solving lectures? the sis system timetable says i have a double py3031 on monday afternoon, but physics site says its just for 4th years? whats the craic? please someone tell me sis is wrong!! (they generally are!)
    Hmm.. that's also a curiosity. However we definitely have (or at least had last year) a py3031 lecture course, and we share this with the fourth years. Since it's not on the dept timetable at all then I'd wager that the sis timetable may actually be the one that's right this time. Though I'm hesitant to believe it.

aw crap an extra course i didnt know about. ah sure i prob wont go anyway..

o **** i forgot term started today......

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Hmm.. that's also a curiosity. However we definitely have (or at least had last year) a py3031 lecture course, and we share this with the fourth years. Since it's not on the dept timetable at all then I'd wager that the sis timetable may actually be the one that's right this time. Though I'm hesitant to believe it.

so, did the anyone go to that lecture? If the third years had it last year, would they do it again this year round in 4th year? Messed up timetabling this term.

cuckoo wrote:
    so, did the anyone go to that lecture? If the third years had it last year, would they do it again this year round in 4th year? Messed up timetabling this term.
    I got the schpeel on it today. It's mandatory for fourth years but all years are invited to come apparently. Last year they actively asked us (JS), now they're not. My friends went today but I didn't. However I hear this tutorial course has been vastly improved so I intend on going from next week onwards.

The project titles for next year's SS are up.

This one looks very odd for a physics project:

13. Influence of income on cultural dynamics
    To be performed at the Instituto Mediterraneo de Estudios Avanzados IMEDEA (CSIC-UIB),
    E07122 Palma de Mallorca, Spain.
    Local contact: Prof P Richmond
    Agent models are now widely used to study socio-economic phenomena. In particular Alxelrod has recently proposed an approach to cultural evolution where the agents are characterized by number of attributes, eg religion, race, living preference, etc. The interesting phenomenon that this approach is able to explore is how, as local attitudes converge, global polarization can occur. The aim of this project is to explore the effect of wealth or income of individuals on cultural dynamics and segregation.
    Knowledge of C programming is necessary.

• Advertisement

ApeXaviour wrote:
    The project titles for next year's SS are up.

This one looks very odd for a physics project:

13. Influence of income on cultural dynamics
    To be performed at the Instituto Mediterraneo de Estudios Avanzados IMEDEA (CSIC-UIB),
    E07122 Palma de Mallorca, Spain.
    Local contact: Prof P Richmond
    Agent models are now widely used to study socio-economic phenomena. In particular Alxelrod has recently proposed an approach to cultural evolution where the agents are characterized by number of attributes, eg religion, race, living preference, etc. The interesting phenomenon that this approach is able to explore is how, as local attitudes converge, global polarization can occur. The aim of this project is to explore the effect of wealth or income of individuals on cultural dynamics and segregation.
    Knowledge of C programming is necessary.

Is there a linky?

That project does seem a little odd for physics, interesting, but odd. Don't know how many people would have the requisite knowledge of C.

Found linky. Well, opened email inbox and found the linky there in an email.

http://www.tcd.ie/Physics/Local/Students/SS/projects/

I think picking a shortlist could be like a game of pin the tail on the donkey, none of them really stand out as being too terrible to contemplate or too 'project, i love you' either.

no astro ones yet, though to be expected- espey so damn slow doing things. i want to stay in dub anyway so not to bothered bout them :)

no astro ones yet, though to be expected- espey so damn slow doing things.
    Walkin by him to day and he goes "rite dec" to me. Chap's actually pretty sound one-on-one.

Was at commons there yesterday (physoc), yis missed Pete Nellist's talk. Pretty good, turnout wasn't great but he stayed drinking with us afterward for a good while (also meant we had a lot more booze for less people). Pity he's leaving, was quite a slip up of the system that they're letting him get away. Since restructuring his contract has turned to temporary here, and he's been offered a permanent position in oxford (st johns I think?). He's a really nice guy, makes an effort to get to know you like.
    cuckoo wrote:
    Don't know how many people would have the requisite knowledge of C
    Might be a project for the CP people? They'd certainly have it. (edit: nope they have their own project list) It seems almost badly aimed at us, more like a TP's project. But they don't really do final year projects (they do but not proper ones). I'm sure there are some hidden geeks in our class who are real whizzes at programming too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

ApeXaviour wrote:
    He's a really nice guy, makes an effort to get to know you like.
    He dragged me up in front of the class once to help him in one of those "Don't panic first years, this all applies to real life, just look at this!" demonstrations. For two of them, now that I think about it. He asked my name, and told the entire class to give me a round of applause, which was nice of him, I guess

(I remain "the guy who had to go up the front in physics" to this day)

• Advertisement

ApeXaviour wrote:
    It seems almost badly aimed at us, more like a TP's project. But they don't really do final year projects (they do but not proper ones). I'm sure there are some hidden geeks in our class who are real whizzes at programming too ;)
    Well someone like me could easily be in your class...lots of physics heads end up having to know alot about puters(one of the big users of the HPC clusters are physics people...)

....Also emm i guess prevous to this year physics types would have all had 161...

Sophie wrote:
    i want to stay in dub anyway so not to bothered bout them
    Surprised ye arn't going for like a trip to hawaii to the observatories there if they had one ;) When you heading off to Florida(it is florida innit?) ?

Here i was talking to me lil bro and he was wondering , for physics heads where do ye's get yer transcripts? and does it include your grades from 1st and 2nd year from things like chem that ye'd no longer do?

Surprised ye arn't going for like a trip to hawaii to the observatories there if they had one When you heading off to Florida(it is florida innit?) ?

yeah was thinking of it originally but what with florida couldnt really be bothered anymore. going in july, the 13th to be precise! just a 6week thing but all good.

Here i was talking to me lil bro and he was wondering , for physics heads where do ye's get yer transcripts? and does it include your grades from 1st and 2nd year from things like chem that ye'd no longer do?
    when i applied for the sure thing i got my physics results from the physics office 1st floor sniams...they gave me a break down of physics results including labs projects etc. had to go to the chem office in the chem building for those results, and i ignored maths lol. but maybe for a proper transcript the science faculty office?? i dunno for sure really...

When I applied for IESTE I went to the science faculty office and they got me a kind of printed thing (looked like a diploma) with this stamp on it and all my grades. It was supposed to prove that I got what grades I said I did. Dunno if that's any use

Hrmmm between the 2 of ye's you've covered all me queries , ty:)

Anyone know when and or how they announce these? Results are out now there shouldnt be anything stopping them. Does anyone know how they announce them? Is it an email or a notice or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Ha, you and your having to bother putting in effort. All we had to do was sign a form!

http://www.tcd.ie/Physics/

OOOOOOhhhh swanky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Edwardius

Nah, they shoulda had a backdrop of coey scratching his beard and muttering incomprehensibly.

• Advertisement

This one's even better........!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfO5UModTXs&NR

Advertisement