Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Competition Rules

• 11-10-2005 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭

Ok, first of all I'll clarify a couple of things. I understand people's concerns about the points system but there is a specific reason for it. I've tried to get some decent prizes together for the winner to enjoy a worthwhile victory but this thing aint about winning as such....it's about trying to get as many winners as possible, not throwing 6 points on a 10-1 shot and hoping for the best. The points structure is a protection against people who get lucky once and then hope to sit back until the competition ends.
    If, as someone said, the overall winner has a negative score then i think we should all hang our heads in shame don't you? Think about it...If you were to pick three solid horses a week....say..evens....2-1....3-1.....three horses that you studied and thought had solid claims..and they win...that's 12 points....and if you were to do that every week, or something close to it....then you'd be laughing.

Ok this is the thread for competition rule queries...fire away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

So is the plan to return the stake as a point and subtract it as a loss. i.e. if all of your selections win do you get your return + 6 points and if they all lose are you on -6 points?

If this is the case I think it is in effect getting double the stake back for a winner. It would be better to just add the win portion to the total score IMO. This would give an overall profit an loss figure for each person, if somebody was -4 then you could say that if the backed €10 a point then they would have lost €40, likewise if the score exclusive of stake returned is +4 then that person would show a €10 profit.

By adding the stake to the returns it encourages people to go for shorter priced horses to ensure they win. Lets take an example say a person has 6 selections that win at Evens then the would have 12 points according to the example given, compare that to them having one winner at 11/1 and 5 losers they would only have 7 points (11+1 - 5). This doesn't make sense to me as 1 11/1 winner and 5 losers is exactly the same as having 6 even money winners and no losers. (i.e. for a €10 stake per point both situations would yield a profit of €60)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

If you look at my first example MasterK...you will see that I gave evens, 2-1, and 3-1 as examples.....2 pts stake....evs shot....2pts (no stake returned)...2-1 shot....4pts...3-1 shot 6 pts....no stakes returned.

I know that I haven't adjusted the first week scores yet but I thought I made it clear enough in the first post in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Ah sh*t, I read your post incorrectly, I thought you said one point on each selection at evens, 2/1 & 3/1. I think we're in agreement for the best way for the points system to work then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I think so. It's the best way to do it and I really don't expect the winner to return with a negative score at the end of it all.

That should be it but if there are any more queries then by all means....

• Advertisement
Advertisement