Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi-Solid - Price Differences??

Options
  • 11-10-2005 6:12pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Looking at semi-solid flooring for the hut, can someone explain to me what the difference between semi solid oak flooring (12mm) for 19 euro per sq yard and 29 euro per sq yard?

I presume there has to be some difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

yop wrote:
    Lads

Looking at semi-solid flooring for the hut, can someone explain to me what the difference between semi solid oak flooring (12mm) for 19 euro per sq yard and 29 euro per sq yard?

I presume there has to be some difference?
    thickness in the amount of wood supplied on the top layer...????
    way its manufactured.....

can you see any physical differences between the 2 samples?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

It may be due to the more expensive oak being quarter sawn boards.

This type of sawing means the boards are more stable, less prone to cupping ,twisting and shrinkage. Where as the lesser quality boards may be a through and through sawing technique. This gives more timber per log, but at a lesser quality board. These boards are more likely to twist, cup ect.

Check the end grain on each type. The quarter sawn boards will have the rays running from the top face to the bottom face. The poorer quality boards will have the rays running at any angle.

The cost may also be due to the board lengths. Random length flooring tends to be cheaper. Full length specified boards are more expensive.

kadman :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

thanks lads, yes that would make sense, we ended up getting the 3 stip 12mm semi solid for 21 euro per sq yard, the premium as they call it.

To be honest I did not get a chance to analyse it against the budget but fingers crossed.

So 145 sq yards of oak to be laid now!! Me back will be hooped!! :p

Advertisement