Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound Card Question

• 13-09-2001 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭

I have a Creative SB PCI128 installed on my system. I am using the Creative drivers that came on the cd with the card. I am running Win 98 on a Duron 750 with 128 Mb RAM. My problem is this: I can only get one application's sound at a time.

The only thing I can think of is that there is some kind of conflict between the card and the onboard sound on the motherboard. However, the onboard sound is disabled in the BIOS and Win98 Device Manager shows no conflicts.

Previously, I was able to play winamp and get a games sound effects at the same time or mix wav files etc.

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

have you tried another set of speakers or headophones to make sure its not that?
    other wise, id say your card is buggered, or you have your volume settings set to right/left speaker only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

sorry maybe I didn't explain too clearly, it's not the left/right channels that are dodgy. I am able to play sounds perfectly but only from one application at a time.

For example, it performs perfectly when playing tunes with winamp but if I go into a game with winamp still running in the bg there are no game sound effects. However if I close winamp before going into a game, game sounds are grand!

any clearer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ahh ok. 1 channel at a time means either left or right speaker :)
    no idea what the problem is.
    when did it last work?
    what did you change?
    what you can do is install the on board sound card and then disable it in device manager.
    worth a try...

last worked before I put in the pci soundcard. I got the card cos the onboard sound skipped when machine was under load.

the onboard sound is still installed but is disabled.

the new soundcard is installed and windows says its working grand

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

What chip was the onboard? i'm taking a stab here and guessing that its a an Intel 810 mobo?
    Earlier ISA Soundblasters (and sound cards in general) souldn't play from more then one .wav source at a time.
    DirectSound opatially fixed that i thik. With my SB Live I can play up to 64 hardware Voices simmultaneously, 1024 software. this has more to do with MiDi though.

I reckon you *might* need to search around in the Creative software for anything to do with 'sources' or 'voices'. Its there somewhere, Creative software can bea bit scattered though :( certainly not direct enough for meh anyways, allways handholding meh, and when stuff doesn't go absolutley perect there's no hard knowlage to help meh out!

On another note, slightly off topic, anyone know where to get firmware and software updates for teh SBLive! without traversing Creative's site? What are all those extra jumperson teh baord for? (not the row of pins at the end for the Live!Drive/Bay)

Thanks

• Advertisement

It's an AMR Technologies K7VZA mobo with VIA Legacy Audio onboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

In Winamp preferences, go to plug-ins/output and select the DirectSound plugin.

sorted :cool:

Originally posted by Snowbat
    In Winamp preferences, go to plug-ins/output and select the DirectSound plugin.

sorted :cool:

nope, didn't do the trick :rolleyes:

Advertisement