Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Eircon Scam or New One?

• 11-10-2005 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Moved house recently within the same village, had broadband in my last ahouse and wanted to get it in this one. However....you cant sign up to (non eircon) BB without an Eircom acc no, the problem is they try their best not to give it out!

I took my phone number with me so although the number is the same the accoount number changes - I have contacted Eircom at least a half dozen times during the last 2 months to get the account number off them, - which of course being dear old Eircom they cant tell you over the phone!

Speaking to their call center staff they claim either that I have to wait for my first bill (and rack up 2 months call charges and 4 months line rental), or that they have issued a letter with the acc no on it. Needless to say the letter never arrives.

Anyhow I though I would post this as a warning to others - if you are moving house Eircom will do their best not to notify you of your new Account number until the thieves have got 2 months calls and shít loads of line rental out of you.

Anyhow bill has now arrived - and what a surprise - its easily 2 the size of my the UTV (voice) & Esat (BB) bills from the old house.

And Im writing this on dial up grrrrrr.....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Non disclosure of your 'new' account number over the phone to the customer is not a new practise , and has its merits .

You should ask Comreg why you are not entitled to it and why Eircom cannot simply send out a welcome letter with the account number written across the top for all new connections . Some people wait up to 4 months before they get a bill ( and their account number ) and then have to wait at least another month to enable bb and transfer line rental so consider yourself lucky you got that information in two months.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Non disclosure of your 'new' account number over the phone to the customer is not a new practise , and has its merits .

You should ask Comreg why you are not entitled to it and why Eircom cannot simply send out a welcome letter with the account number written across the top for all new connections . Some people wait up to 4 months before they get a bill ( and their account number ) and then have to wait at least another month to enable bb and transfer line rental so consider yourself lucky you got that information in two months.

Wasnt there a post here a little while ago in response to a similar thread stating something along the lines that if you threatened them with freedom of information that they passed you on to someone who gave this information fairly readily. As you say there is merit in not giving out such information too freely and it is easy to forget this aspect of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ask them to send you a direct debit mandate form, the account details should be on that. I think that's how I got mine, then I signed over the BT straight away. Only had Eircom in for about a month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

jor el wrote:
    Ask them to send you a direct debit mandate form, the account details should be on that.

an appeal to their basic greed , how elegantly simple:D

Advertisement